:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Words to the wise regarding Leopard…

• Comments Off on Words to the wise regarding Leopard…

Words to the wise regarding Leopard…

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Words to the wise regarding Leopard…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

Yeah, don’t repair permissions unless you absolutely need to.

Apparently, with Tiger and previous versions, repairing permissions was a good way to clear up junky stuff, and it would help make your machine run a little better.

Yesterday, I was repairing permissions, when everything locked up and then closed, where it says something along the lines of “So and so closed, what do you want to do? Ignore, Report, Relaunch”. I hit ignore, then restarted, and my machine never booted back up, essentially becoming an $1800 paperweight.

Called Apple support, and they said that with Leopard, the “junking up” of permissions has been fixed, so there’s no real reason to repair permissions unless it’s absolutely necessary. This totally hosed my machine, and there are safety nets in case something like this happens, like Time Machine, normal backups, and the installation CD is able to repair OSX, and in dire situations, can install a fresh copy of OSX with programs and other files intact.

Unable to repair, the thing says. Did the fresh install (without deleting anything) and after an hour and a half, Install Failed. So like, you know, fuck.

So I’ve spent all day rebuilding my machine. Sucks. And I lost some recordings I did on the road, which were pretty funny.

So yeah, heed the warning.

Octavious
    Participant

I forgot, what kind of Mac to you have?

rob
    Participant

Macbook Air.

Bing
    Participant

How much did you lose?

rob
    Participant

About 60 gb of crap. Everything I had stored on that computer. It supersucked.

thx_1227
    Participant

Ouch, that sucks man.

But when you said “never booted back up”, do you mean it wouldn’t turn on? Or it got to a certain screen and froze?

rob
    Participant

After the grey Apple logo and spinning gear it would turn blue and just sit there.

thx_1227
    Participant

Ah, this happened to me and I was able to fix it by starting up in single user mode (by holding down command-s as it starts up) and typing this command in:

/sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw /
    rm -rf /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ApplicationEnhancer.bundle
    reboot

Sorry if this is too little too late, but if it happens again you can give it a try.

rob
    Participant

Yeah, it’s totally over now — already reinstalled OS X and everything. Lost it all. But thanks for the info.

Newman
    Participant

Thats one thing that gets me about macs, they work but when they fuck up its usually pretty bad, where as PC’s they just suck all together and are relative easy to un-fuckup.

Version3
    Keymaster

I don’t know about that. There are just more people out there that have needed to get their Windows stuff back, so there is more documentation and solutions to follow. Generally, OSX is Linux, so the solution path is going to often be more like a Linux recovery and less like a Windows recovery. The guy Rob talked to, gave him the “you are an end-user and this is the easiest solution I can provide you on the phone” path. I’m quite sure they have more detailed recovery options, like the one that THX is bringing up. Those are just sometimes harder to find.

rob
    Participant

I am confident that with a little more patience I could have prevented the big ol’ fuckup, but I was more interested in getting back up and running. There was nothing on the computer that was so damn important that I couldn’t just get it back if I wanted it. My whole point was to point out that if it fucks up with the permissions, you will have lots of trouble and hassle on your hands.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.