:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Windows Vista…boo-erns

• Comments Off on Windows Vista…boo-erns

Windows Vista…boo-erns

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Windows Vista…boo-erns

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Newman
    Participant

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

I love the last statement made.

Microsoft wrote:
    Does buying a Windows Vista Capable PC mean that I will receive a free upgrade to Windows Vista?
    No. A PC that is Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready means that the PC is ready for an upgrade from Windows XP. You would still need to purchase the edition of Windows Vista that you want to install on your Windows Vista Capable or Premium Ready PC.

Version3
    Keymaster

I just think it’s funny that they are putting so much effort into telling everyone about an OS that they are almost a year from actual launch on… not to mention, not really finished with.

Anyone tried Beta 2?

djohnson
    Participant

I downloaded it yesterday, but have not yet fired it up. I’ll be trying it in a VM as soon as I get a chance.

Version3
    Keymaster

I never could get Beta 1 to install in a VM. Word out there is that it’s intentional.

Pa-ul
    Participant

There’s a lot of people out there who say it’s a rip off from a Mac OS. Don’t know if it’s Tiger or Panther.

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

djohnson
    Participant

I had Beta 1 running in a VM with no issues.

Paul, most of the new features are direct rip-offs of features in OS X. I guess that shows you who the leader is…

Version3
    Keymaster

it failed multiple times as a VPC install for me. I ran it on an intel laptop and wasn’t impressed. It was a dog on the hardware too… it was a 2.4GHz P4 with 512MB of RAM.

djohnson
    Participant

I think you need at least 1GB of RAM to mae it usable. It’s pretty much of a pig.

ElNacho
    Participant

teh OS hogs CPU?

djohnson
    Participant

Oh yeah. Especially if you want to be able to run the Aero environment. You really need a top-end GPU with at least 128MB of RAM. 256MB would be preferrable. I may try to get it running on the MacBook Pro here.

Newman
    Participant
    djohnson wrote:
    You really need a top-end GPU with at least 128MB of RAM. 256MB would be preferrable.

Wouldnt you want more like a gig or more?

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, I know that it’s a hog, but this thing wouldn’t even open interface options, control panels or anything with any level of speed. I was really turned off by the amount of bloat, and really worried about how big the production OS is going to end up being. I guess the manufacturers will be happy with MS for this.

djohnson
    Participant

Newman: I was referring to graphics memory back there.

Bryan: I think a full install of the OS come is at around 20GB ❗ if you can believe that. Hard Drive makers are increasing value to shareholders as we speak! 🙂

Pa-ul
    Participant

You can get a 1Gig Memory on a Video card the XFX 7950GX2.

The Aero compatability is only a guideline I guess, I tried it with an XFX6800 with 256Mb Mem, Athlon64 3500 and it still runs kinda slow, oh and the GPU temp skyrockets as well.

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

BSherrod
    Participant

I don’t understand how Microsoft thinks that people are just gonna start putting 128mb cards in the rigs all of a sudden. I mean most low-end comps are on integrated graphics. If mac hardware wasn’t so exspensive I would say that they could profit from this. It looks like most people will be running XP for a couple of more years…….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.