:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Windows OS on a Mac

• Comments Off on Windows OS on a Mac

Windows OS on a Mac

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Windows OS on a Mac

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Octavious
    Participant

Hi I am a PC and …

Bryan and the Mac users, I doing something tomorrow and I need your expertise.

My co-worker, wife’s cousin, (a major Mac user like Bryan) and I, once and a while rip into each other about Macs and PC’s. We, the marketing dept, 5 of us, 2 of them have Macs and the rest of us uses PCs. We got Mac Book just because the company can spend the money.

Anyway, since I know most about PCs and Windows, as we are leaving work, he spoke blasphmey. He wants me to help him put Windows on the Mac Book Pro.

Any problems that I might run into.

Armez
    Participant

Doesn’t that defy the point of even getting a Mac in the first place? 0_o

Octavious
    Participant

I used a lot of PCs in my time and briefly use Macs, I got to say, WTF?

But knowing him, joking that he is, he is 80% serious.

Frank
    Participant

I’m a PC guy myself, but I do work with Macs at work. I will say, from experience, Macs are much better when it comes to dealing with (doing) graphics and design-type stuff. I probably wouldn’t want to own a Mac personally, but that’s just a preference I have. Hell, most folks I know are leaning towards going the Linux route anyway.

Version3
    Keymaster

Well, you are going to do this Windows install using boot camp, so you will be able to retain some dual usage. So, hit up the apple.com site and download bootcamp 1.2. Install it, and when it’s done, go into applications/utilities and launch the boot camp utility. You will need an XP Service Pack 2 disc handy, and a blank disc too. So basically, you go through a dialog box or two, all of your mac drivers get dropped on the blank disc and then it’s a regular XP install. When it’s done, you will insert the new disc and it will install a ton of Apple drives and work good utilz. Then, you just use it like a Windows machine… completely normal… and blazing fast. If you want to switch, in XP control panel, you can choose “startup disk” and choose to boot to OSX. If you are in OSX, hit system preferences and choose “startup disk” and the same thing goes.

Check your keyboard stuff, make sure your apple key works as a Windows key and other than that it’s pretty normal. You’ll like how XP runs on the hardware. Don’t be afraid to see how the same tasks in OSX work once in a while, you might start finding that many things work better than you expect.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I’m a Linux guy myself, but if I wasn’t using Linux, I’d use a Mac.

Octavious
    Participant

Bryan, Frank and everybody thanks. Its time to go to work and perform the surgery.

Pa-ul
    Participant
    digitaltopia wrote:
    I’m a Linux guy myself, but if I wasn’t using Linux, I’d use a Mac.

OSX is using a similar OS.
    IPChains for the Firewalls and so on, you would be right at home with a Mac (which is rich coming from a PC user, but I service Macs so I may be forgiven).

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

digitaltopia
    Participant

Yes, OS X is based on Unix just like Linux is based on Unix. When I’ve helped my brother-in-law with his Mac before, I get around on the command line quite well. The basic file structure and commands are very similar.

Pa-ul
    Participant
    digitaltopia wrote:
    Yes, OS X is based on Unix just like Linux is based on Unix. When I’ve helped my brother-in-law with his Mac before, I get around on the command line quite well. The basic file structure and commands are very similar.

Like he said.

😀

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

Version3
    Keymaster

BSD specifically… you can find free public builds of the OSX interface, and they are Free BSD based. More x86 friendly than the hacked builds os OSx86

rob
    Participant

UBUNTU!

Sorry — mango inside joke. Basically, when someone would say that they were running Ubuntu, or whatever, I would say this very loudly.

Version3
    Keymaster

But very Japanese and gutteral. It was funny. Rob you suck.

digitaltopia
    Participant

Then Rob, it’s your lucky day, because I run Ubuntu.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.