:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Where were you … someone had to post it (9/11)

• Comments Off on Where were you … someone had to post it (9/11)

Where were you … someone had to post it (9/11)

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Where were you … someone had to post it (9/11)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

Okay, I know, but someone had to post it. I’m curious to see what everyone was doing then. Especially the folks from outside the U.S.

To save time, I went ahead and posted a story on my blog. Everyone’s more than welcome to check it out if you’d like. A journalist, working on Sept. 11. It was definitely interesting. I’d love to know what you guys think.

http://brobenkingfrank.blogspot.com

Newman
    Participant

Ya’ll may think I’m an insensitive bastard but here goes nothing. I was still in high school at this point and in our library they only have the giant TV out if something interesting is going on such as a major sports event. But this time it had CNN, of course I didnt think much of it but thats just cuz it was so bloddy early. One of my friends showed up and told me that, “a plan had just hit one of the trade centre towers.” I proceded to ask, “What the fuck is that?” He basicly said, “some building in NYC.” Then I proceded to laugh. Before I knew it both towers were down and a war had broke out.

Call me a ass or whatever, but I didnt even know what the fuck a trade tower was.

Bing
    Participant

No reason you should have Newman…you’re Canadian…I’m sure a LOT of Americans didn’t what what they were before then either.

I was at work blah, blah, blah…..

…Interesting (to me) in my story was that before the second plane hit I had just walked in (late) to work and someone said that the Trade center was on fire, and that a plane had hit it…I thought a)- a repeat of the 1993 bombing b)-some small cessna sized private plane.

What I really remember is that I asked one of the women “When did this happen”…..I don’t know why that information was so important to me….she answered with “Just now”…..I was instantly annoyed at her and asked again “No, WHEN did this happen?”…again she responded “Just now”…..

….I knew what she was trying to say but for some reason I wanted a more accurate answer…. 5 mins ago? 3 mins ago? 10?…..”just now” seemed a lazy and stupid answer……I just walked outta her office in a huff and went to the breakroom to turn on the tv…I guess it was just a minute or two before plane #2…

I’ve since been fascinated by just WHY I was so annoyed and instantly angry with her for what I’m sure she never meant anything by……strange that with all the confusion that day, my head would pick THAT to become annoyed by….as far as the rest of the day I’m sure I spent most of it on the phone like the rest of you guys.

Version3
    Keymaster

Rob and I were working at the Insurance company at the time. We worked on the first floor. A lady we worked with frequently pops in, tells us a plane just hit it and she’s doing up to “6” to watch the satellite. We followed. There were only a few of us out of 400 employees up there watching. I saw (and I think Rob was standing there too) the second one hit the tower, and we stayed as each other plane story came out, and as the towers fell. Like a lot of people that day, there was a certain automatic uneasyness associated with being in a building any taller than a single story, and if it hadn’t been for the fact that we were one of only 3 buildings that size on approach to the DFW international airport I’d been able to totally brush that feeling away. It was only a distant thought, but it was still a conscious thought.

My wife heard all of this relayed to her initially… she thought a plane hit the Dallas World Trade Center since nobody specified.

Even far away, it was a surreal day. But every 11th since then, I’ve honestly just been annoyed with the situation because of psuedo patriotism, and the bullshit notion that we’ll show them they can’t change the American way of life. Sorry, but those terrorists succeeded more than our government and citizens ever care to admit.

Octavious
    Participant

Frank, first of all, this posting, everyone was thinking of it, it was you who did it first and thanks.

Second, I don’t care what day or time of the day, that cop is a major asshole. I would’ve fought it, took the ticket and proceed to tell the asshole that he is one.

I remember the day like it was yesterday. I was working for a newspaper company, a District Manager, checking up on the little kiddies and the adults on their deliveries and I was heading home to get change to go in the office. I am about 2 blocks away, listening to Howard Stern and Stuttering John said that the WTC, one of them is on fire. My first thought, wow, I need to see this, I wonder how the FDNY was going to put the fire out. Then John proceed to say, it was a plane that hit the tower. That was time I got out the car and race up the stairs to my apartment thinking this is interesting. I turned on the tv, had one of the news channels on. It was 8:55. Next it was 9:04 and I thought for a moment that they were showing a replay of the plane hitting the tower, then I realized wasn’t. It was the second plane crashing into the second tower!

Now I am in the office during office work. And the mood around the office was surprised, shocked, sadden and for some terrorfied. I walked in the online dept. just steps away from our dept. and one of the guys said one of the towers just collasped and the other one is ready to go. I stood there watching the television and I saw the other collaspe and I thought sorry for all those who died and their families. And just to think my finace’, now my wife, and her cousin was just there 2 days ago just spending the day.

Well I finished my day, went home, and hugged my woman when she arrived.

Octavious
    Participant
    Bing wrote:
    No reason you should have Newman…you’re Canadian…I’m sure a LOT of Americans didn’t what what they were before then either.

I agree. It’s like the CN Tower, I am sure alot of Americans don’t know what it is.

Version3 wrote:
    But every 11th since then, I’ve honestly just been annoyed with the situation because of psuedo patriotism, and the bullshit notion that we’ll show them they can’t change the American way of life. Sorry, but those terrorists succeeded more than our government and citizens ever care to admit.

Ditto. Before 9/11, you can look everywhere and see nothing. The day after 9/11, American flags all over. In the streets, on cars, on people’s house. Now, for the most part, where I live, some cars still have the stickers of a flag or 9/11 thing. The flags that were on street poles, houses, stores, buildings, …gone. To a point, you think it never happened.

Newman
    Participant
    Darth Octavious wrote:
    Bing wrote:

I agree. It’s like the CN Tower, I am sure alot of Americans don’t know what it is.

Hell untill a few weeks ago I though I had been to the CN tower, turns out I’ve never been. The one I thought was the CN Tower that I visited when I was 6(ish) was the one next to the one near Niagra Falls…fuck the world.

YouFollowMe
    Participant
    Darth Octavious wrote:
    Ditto. Before 9/11, you can look everywhere and see nothing. The day after 9/11, American flags all over. In the streets, on cars, on people’s house. Now, for the most part, where I live, some cars still have the stickers of a flag or 9/11 thing. The flags that were on street poles, houses, stores, buildings, …gone. To a point, you think it never happened.

Not to mention all of the redneck patriotic songs that have come out since then, talking about kicking ass and what not. I hate how they sing that and people are all like, “Fuck yeah, America!” I’m not an America-hater, I just don’t like the tone of those songs.

BSherrod
    Participant

I was walking down a hall way in school and then kids were just sprouting off random buildings getting hit, I heard that someone hit the Sears Tower in Chicago or some crap like that and I didn’t believe they hit the twin towers until I actually saw the buildings fall. I mean thats a visually awesome sight (as in awe-inspiring). People were checking their kids out like crazy and I’m thinking. ” We live in Alabama, if they wanna blow us up it’d be at an Alabama football game, I mean 90,000 in the stands versus 1,000 kids in a school.” I tried my hardest not to forget that point because I just knew one day someone would ask me, I knew even then something big just happened. And then afterwards shit got crazy and bullshit Americana stopped popping up and completely put a jackass spin on the situation.

Bucho
    Participant
    Version3 wrote:
    Even far away, it was a surreal day.

In a galaxy far, far away an exotic clock radio goes off at 5:30am and our country’s biggest radio host was on. This guy doesn’t usually start til 6 so instantly, even in just-woke state, something big must have happened. It takes 40 or 50 seconds to decipher the interview I’ve come into the middle of, some American reporter saying planes have flown into the towers. “Two planes?!?!”. Even far away, hearing that small amount of radio and then waking up everyone else in the house and watching the TV coverage for a couple of hours, seeing them fall especially, the thought that someone had actually pulled off this coordinated attack on the U.S. was very surreal.

The thought I couldn’t escape that day and the following days was how in disaster movies the public is portrayed standing around radios and tvs, and that along with the dread of follow up attacks and how that U.S. administration might respond, was the detatchment not necessarily of being thousands of miles from the original threat, but observing the events on a screen. There really is something to the argument that screen violence immunises us to real brutality.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Jor-El
    Participant

I had stopped by the Honda dealership I worked for at the time for a cup of coffee around 7:30am before school. I was taking a handful of courses at the local community college. It seems like I had already gone to one class. Then I had a smoke and went on to my second class, American History. When I got it there I heard the same murmurs that everyone else heard. But I was overhearing details and not anything about planes or buildings. I only heard the words attack and thousands of people scrambling. It sounded like a computer virus attack from what I was hearing. People were on their phones calling places to see if others were safe. That’s when I finally asked what they were going on about.

The teacher said we should skip class because this is too big of a deal. Then dismissed us to the media room where hundreds of students were already congragating in front of the TV.

We watched as the rest unfurled before us. I felt sick and went outside for air and was chilled by the empty sky near the airport.

Buut I was thinking about someone’s post a minute ago about Alabama. That would be strange if someone had it out for a particular small group of people. Plotting for years how to attack something so small and nearly pointless. I’m making no sense. Nevermind. I’m huge.

Dweedle deedle dee, Wubba wubba wubba!

I like titties.

Bing
    Participant

Hey, Jerry…can I get a hit off that?

Scatt
    Participant

I was..hmm.. about 18/19 years old. Sitting at home with no job watching Fight Club. I was around the part with Project Mayhem when they were going to blow up the buildings (which I mentioned later followed by, “Whoa, neat”) when my sister called me all somber and asked me if I heard the news. I said no. She told me, “Turn on the TV”. I said, “To what channel”. She replied, “Any channel”. Watched it and it was all surreal.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.