:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Where The Wild Things Are

• Comments Off on Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Where The Wild Things Are

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bucho
    Participant

I don’t know if I already brought this film up before but the new trailer is just up at Yahoo and by all the Gods if it didn’t just grab a hold of my heart with both furry claws. I can’t wait to take my neice and nephew to see this.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/wherethewildthingsare/
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808412037/video/14932815

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bing
    Participant

and to think Spike Jonez is one of the Jackass guys.

This looks cool.

Version3
    Keymaster

It’s just not speaking to me so far. I’ve had a real “what’s the big deal” feeling about it since it started coming up.

Bucho
    Participant

I don’t know if it’s because of subconscious stuff rooted in how much I loved the book as a kid, or the fact they use Wake Up as the backing track, or Gandolfini’s voice, or how those monsters look like a perfect marriage between practical and CGI and the source art, but I’m a real sucker for it.

Version3
    Keymaster

Never read the book… and I have a feeling that’s the place the marketing for this thing is trying to play from currently.

Bucho
    Participant

The book is very simple but also strange for a kid’s book. The boy gets sent to his room for misbehaving and hating, as you do when you’re a kid, that grown ups get to boss him around, so he goes Where The Wild Things Are, where these giant, scary looking but cool monsters make him king and he gets to be boss. If you read this as a 4 year old boy it’s the coolest idea ever, that there’s a place where you get to be king and have buddies who are massive monsters and grown ups can’t tell you what to do. As an adult you obviously realize that the kid is actually just being a typical boisterous little boy and needs the discipline but as a kid it’s totally badass.

So for us cats that had this be one of the magical escapist parts of our very young years I think that these images, and the very phrase itself that makes up the title, evoke long dormant feelings of a kind of purely magical and innocent, but also a little melancholic, triumph of imagination. The wafer thin plot of the book seems to have been fleshed out for the film because, one – the film would only be 20 minutes long if it wasn’t, and two – in the book from an adult’s viewpoint the kid is being rightly punished for being a little punk and misbehaving. So it looks like Jonze has him as an orphan who has more reasons to find escapist pursuits than just being the same run-of-the-mill kind of typically petulant little shit I’m sure most of us were.

I haven’t seen any more of the marketing other than these trailers but the trailers definitely tap into those long buried memories of young rebellion and the power of imagination, and the underlying melancholy that often accompanies the loss of that wide-eyed adventurous magic of the simpler times of our childhood. It’s like seeing that thrillingly magical place and those bizarrely compelling creatures that were imagined as a little fella come vividly to life. What I’m hoping is that the expansions of plot and character and emotional range in the full film has what it takes to draw in people who never read the book as a kid to be able to be a part of that same magic and take that same wild, moving and exhilarating ride, and obviously also that it won’t be too adult for kids to love too.

I mean, I’m not even hyping it up here, I have no idea if the movie has successfully pulled it off and the odds are in fact against it. I just hope it does accomplish that goal because the world needs more films that are as sublime as the first half of Wall-E for example, or The Iron Giant.

Larkitect
    Participant

@Bucho 40865 wrote:

I just hope it does accomplish that goal because the world needs more films that are as sublime as the first half of Wall-E for example, or The Iron Giant.

agreed.

i’m really looking forward to this movie. (i’m a sucker for this kind of stuff, too)

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I was quite surprised when I saw the trailer for this in the theater. I know they made some old cartoons out of it, in fact using some of the first CG ever used in a movie back in the day, but I didn’t think they’d make a full modern movie out of it.

I’m a bit on the fence about this one, because on the one hand as Bucho said it really plays into nostalgia, but by the same token I’m not sure if the idea can really sustain.

Bucho
    Participant

I definitely understand the reservations over whether a simple, short children’s story can sustain a feature film because a direct adapation would almost certainly stretch too thin. But a huge amount of films are a simple core idea that’s fleshed out; there’s even a term for it – high concept. Take a one or two sentence idea and write a story around it, a lot of classics are exactly that.

Also, Spike Jonze. The guy is definitely not just some visionless studio hack and I think he has something special to offer.

digitaltopia
    Participant

Every time someone says Spike Jonze I keep thinking Spike Lee.

Version3
    Keymaster

Spike Jonze = cool, stylistic director
    Spike Lee = short, mouthy director with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove

Bing
    Participant

@Version3 41262 wrote:

Spike Jonze = cool, stylistic director
    Spike Lee = short, mouthy director with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove

Amen

digitaltopia
    Participant

I agree Spike Lee is an idiot, that’s just what pops to mind when I see the name.

Bucho
    Participant

Every time I see the name Spike Lee I think of Spide Rman.

Bucho
    Participant

I finally saw this and I fucking loved it. I didn’t take my neice and nephew to this one in the end because they’re only 5 and 3 and this film is a little too mature, maybe for 8 and up.

But it worked its beautiful, funny, whimsical and kind of melancholy magic on me a treat. And holy shitballs the effects are awesome in it, the way they intermeshed the practical with the CG is outstanding. The kid’s performance is also brilliant, the best child acting I’ve seen for years. It isn’t a film everyone will fall in love with like I did, there’s a lot of stuff that touched me personally about the kid’s situation and his journey, but I’m sure anyone could enjoy it a lot. Seriously, wonderfully magic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.