:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

What about THIS Queens of the Stone Age song though Robby?

• Comments Off on What about THIS Queens of the Stone Age song though Robby?

What about THIS Queens of the Stone Age song though Robby?

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder What about THIS Queens of the Stone Age song though Robby?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I remember you saying in the past you weren’t crazy about QOTSA, but I heard this new one and was like, “This is maybe the most Mutemathy that QOTSA have ever sounded, and I know my main man Robby Michaels is on that Mutemath wavelength, so maybe my main man Robby Michaels will get the groove of this one real nice!”

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Also, Josh almost died from a crazy health issue a few years ago too, so you and him are like brothers or something now.

rob
    rob
    Participant

It is very Mutemathy, for sure, but I have been sorta meh on Mutemath’s last couple of albums. Like this song – I like parts of it, the groove’s kinda cool, and the overall sound reminds me of the 70s.

I listened to the whole thing, and it never seems to…grow…? It’s like the same level. And I’m not a huge fan of the whole weird high harmony thing going through this – Mutemath’s done that sort of thing, too, lately.

Which leads me to the latest Nine Inch Nails EP that came out a couple of weeks ago – I liked it a lot, but it didn’t grab me. For some reason, NO music is grabbing me right now. I don’t know what’s going on, but it’s the main reason why lately I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos right now instead of listening to music. I’m just…bored of it all. Of course, I did watch the below video recently, and I think I broke something.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, I haven’t been into any Mutemath since Odd Soul either. I guess that album and Armistice are the two I still think of when I think of them but their newer stuff is a significant departure for sure.

And funnily enough I went through a while where I barely listened to or cared about music too, especially rock, maybe from 2005 to 2012 or something, perhaps not coincidentally around the same time I started getting heavy into podcasts. I think part of it was I got burnt out from getting way too intense into making rock myself, so I started hearing a lot of it music from inside out, like I was hearing too much of the underlying math in the music from having become hyperaware of structure due to studying and analysing it to death. The only stuff I really loved through that time was some of the Brazilian music I’d discovered, and a big part of that was it’s just more sophisticated than most rock, so the structure was beyond be and my brain could relax and let it be magic like music is supposed to be.

I doubt whatever funk you’re in is for that same reason but if you watched that PONPONPON video all the way through I’m not surprised to hear you say something’s broken, I couldn’t get through more than 40 seconds of it myself before my internal sanity protection systems forced me to shut it down.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.