:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

We’ve all been there.

• Comments Off on We’ve all been there.

We’ve all been there.

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge We’ve all been there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Bing
    Participant

Life in Computer Hell.

I know computers are man’s creation as man is God’s creation. But do you think God ever got so upset with us he seriously considered flinging the earth into the sun?

I would have beat a nun to death with my laptop these past few weeks.

First the desktop machine (used for favorite old games and graphic work, editing, blahblahblah) decided to crap out. In trying to fix it the laptop thought it would be funny to show the blue screen of death when trying to boot (don’t get me started..I don’t give a sweaty flying fuck what IRQL is less than or equal to…safe mode you piece of crap!….)

But back to my point.

Computers are designed to work on the presence or absence of an electrical current, hence 1 or 0….all computers except mine that is which have somehow evolved into the ability to comprehend “maybe”. Is the computer on…maybe / Does the computer feel like working today….maybe / If I stand instead of sit will the computer boot up?…..maybe.

Only humans would willingly make a machine that at its core is designed to drive us batshit insane.

A.I. Machines taking over the world and enslaving humans…bullshit! Why go thru all that effort when they can just give us all heart attacks by NOT BOOTING THE FUCK UP!!!!!

Version3
    Keymaster

Well said, now get a Mac.

Newman
    Participant

@Version3 40471 wrote:

Well said, now get a Mac.

^ this

Larkitect
    Participant

gotta go with bryan and newman on this one. my first mac just turned a year old july 3 and i’ve not regretted it one iOta.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

thx_1227
    Participant

More Google wisdom…

And I agree. Mac all the way…

digitaltopia
    Participant

Of course I have to throw my hat into the arena with Ubuntu Linux. You could use it on the computer you already have and it’s free.

Bing
    Participant

Ubuntu Linux? Tell me more.

I have been a pc user all my life, and I am concerned the transition to Mac’s (which I have used at work and experienced problems with too, although different than PC problems) will be too difficult. Any highly experienced PC users who made the switch to the Mac world out there with advice?

If I use a Mac will PC’s think I am gay?

Version3
    Keymaster

I was a very highly experience PC user that switched to Mac. You just have to realize two things. Operating a Mac will be as much about unlearning your PC crap, as it will be about learning Mac. Just because something doesn’t work the same doesn’t mean that the new OS sucks, it often means that you’ve been forced to learn an unnatural, often unnecessary way of doing things. The second, is that if you find a point of focus, a task you need/want to perform on the Mac, it makes it easier to find your way around.

You would never dive into a new video editing suite without having something that needs to be edited, right? Same idea here. For that matter, this applies to learning Ubuntu as well. The problem with Ubuntu is going to be that the packages you are accustomed to using for video and graphics are not available for that OS at all. There are other products, but you will really be getting outside the norm. It would totally kick ass for browsing the web and dealing with the day to day issues your WinOS is leaving you cold on. That’s not all you can do with Ubuntu, it would just be an easy transition to make. Ubuntu/Firefox/Thunderbird… good everyday [free] alternative to anything.

But if you really need/want to replace the nightmare you are dealing with… OSX is the way to go. PCs will never think you are gay, in fact they are gay by the virtue that they live to fuck you and your life straight in the turd cutter.

digitaltopia
    Participant

With Ubuntu, just like with Mac, it is a different operating system so it’d take some adjusting to get used to, but they’ve been working very hard on making it easy to use. For instance, if you click on a media file and you don’t have the appropriate codec, it’ll offer to automatically download the codec you need for you, and instead of the update tool only keeping your system files up to date, it keeps all the software on the entire system up to date.

There are Linux alternatives to most of the programs you’re used to using. Instead of Photoshop you have Gimp, instead of Illustrator you have Inkscape, for audio you have Audacity or Ardour, with Audacity being more like the recording part of Garage Band and Ardour being more like ProTools. For 3D animation there’s Blender.

The only thing Linux doesn’t really have right now is a good video editor. There are a number of video editors out there and a number of new ones being worked on, but none of them are that great yet. When I want to edit video I use Blender because it does have video editing and compositing capabilities, but it’s more complicated to use.

Of course Linux and all the programs are free, and you can either install it alongside Windows and dual-boot between the two, or you can install it then create a virtual machine inside of Linux then install Windows in the virtual machine so then you have Windows running in a window on your Linux desktop.

Larkitect
    Participant

i’m an expert windows user. and i have to say that the mac is so intuitive that the only problem i ever had was getting used to the window control buttons being on the top left instead of the top right. the more windows experience you have the more you’ll appreciate the mac. you’ll be doing a lot of “wow, this is so much easier/better than [doing whatever] in windows.” plus you can still run windows in a virtual environment.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Newman
    Participant

I think my biggest hump going from windows to mac when I first started working was the command/ctrl button difference. Five years later it doesn’t phase me if I have to swap to a PC/Mac from the other, I just seem to know which is which.

Version3
    Keymaster

My wife is going totally fucking insane tonight. I gave her my Macbook, and she hates the OS. hahahaha, it’s annoying at fuck, but kind funny too.

Octavious
    Participant

I am agreeing with the Captain. I have been working with PC’s all my life. Once in a while I will use a Mac for maybe a day or two. Up to recently I have getting sick and tired of re-formatting my PC and everybody elses. Everybody that I have talked that has a Mac told me this: One, I never a problem with my Mac and two, … Get a Mac.

Bucho
    Participant

Damn, this thread couldn’t be more timely for ol’ Bucho. My pc must’ve shat its gruds the same day as yours Bing but I don’t have a laptop to pile on added torment and pestilence. I’d been eyeing up macs anyway since I never use my computer for gaming anymore and my main concern these days is AV editting, and everyone says macs are the bizzles knizzles yo for that stuff, but the cost is the mitigating factor. I can get a new pc that will edit HD video for about $NZ1300, but a new Mac is at least another grand, and in the current financial climate I have to seriously weigh that shit up.

So my choice right now is between that new pc and a three year old Mac a good mate of mine is selling. With the pc I’ll have all the warranties that come with new gear, but with the Mac I’ll have a Mac. I’m not worried so much about learning new software if it’s superior, I’m more worried that I’ll end up spending $ on something that might decide to shit itself on account of its advanced age.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Version3
    Keymaster

What are the specs on the 3 yr old? It may be that there is a door number 3 here. If you find a bung hole to magically pull the extra grand out of, it will be well worth the extra expense to get the new one. The platform has matured quite a bit in 3 years, and although it would a solid machine, you’d see it’s age with audio and video. I wouldn’t blow your money on a decent piece of hardware, running a problematic OS. Try to find a way to go the whole way, or see what you can find in the 1yr-1.5yr old range.

Better yet, just hit my wife up for her MacBook, she’s dying to buy a PC. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.