:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Warner Bros. to HD-DVD: Suck it, biotch!

• Comments Off on Warner Bros. to HD-DVD: Suck it, biotch!

Warner Bros. to HD-DVD: Suck it, biotch!

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Warner Bros. to HD-DVD: Suck it, biotch!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

This just in … literally, it just moved across our wires:

Warner Bros. to release high-def DVDs exclusively in Blu-ray
    Eds: Moving on entertainment and financial services.
    By ALEX VEIGA
    AP Business Writer
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — Warner Bros. Entertainment said Friday it will release high-definition DVDs exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format, becoming the latest studio to reject the rival HD DVD technology and further complicating the high-definition landscape for consumers.

rob
    Participant

Yes! We’re now that much closer to the end of the war.

Bing
    Participant
    Frank wrote:
    …. and further complicating the high-definition landscape for consumers.

I seriously doubt that consumers will see this as a complication, clarification maybe……

Octavious
    Participant

So Rob, what’s the score? Meaning how many studios went to Blu-Ray?

Didn’t Dreamworks go to HD DVD?

Version3
    Keymaster
    Darth Octavious wrote:
    So Rob, what’s the score? Meaning how many studios went to Blu-Ray?

Didn’t Dreamworks go to HD DVD?

answer: http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/04/hd-dvd-vs-blu-ray-battle-over-warner-switches-to-blu-ray/

rob
    Participant

That macrumors link is slightly incorrect. New Line is a subdivision of Warner, so it won’t be neutral. It’s roughly 70% to 30%. That’s a pretty big margin.

To me, it is just one more nail in the coffin for HD-DVD. The only advantage HD-DVD had for a long time (besides movies) is that they had the In-Movie Experience feature, which is sort of a picture-in-picture feature. For example, the Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix HD-DVDs have an IME commentary on it, and the Blu-Ray version did not. But, if you’ve been paying attention to Blu-Ray advances, they recently added this same capability, and Sunshine, coming out on Tuesday, is the first to have the new profile. Existing players can be updated to have the new profile.

I don’t think this makes things more confusing — it makes it an easier choice if it were me. Strangely enough, if you look at the box office for 2007, the studios with Blu-Ray now have 7 out of those 10. 70% again.

I’m excited, though — the superior format is beating the pants off of the opposition, and the opposition includes Microsoft, and that delights the crap out of me.

El Rustirino
    Participant

Exclusive? FUCK!

Why can’t we just keep putting things out on regular DVD until a little after the full switch to whichever format? This is pissing me off.

rob
    Participant
    Quote:
    release high-definition DVDs exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format

Rusty, calm down and read. They will release high-definition DVDs exclusively. That means that regular DVD will not be affected, as it’s not high-definition.

Version3
    Keymaster
    rob wrote:
    That macrumors link is slightly incorrect. New Line is a subdivision of Warner, so it won’t be neutral. It’s roughly 70% to 30%. That’s a pretty big margin.

They have updated their graph by the way.

digitaltopia
    Participant
    rob wrote:

To me, it is just one more nail in the coffin for HD-DVD. The only advantage HD-DVD had for a long time (besides movies) is that they had the In-Movie Experience feature, which is sort of a picture-in-picture feature. For example, the Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix HD-DVDs have an IME commentary on it, and the Blu-Ray version did not. But, if you’ve been paying attention to Blu-Ray advances, they recently added this same capability, and Sunshine, coming out on Tuesday, is the first to have the new profile. Existing players can be updated to have the new profile.

I don’t think this makes things more confusing — it makes it an easier choice if it were me. Strangely enough, if you look at the box office for 2007, the studios with Blu-Ray now have 7 out of those 10. 70% again.

I’m excited, though — the superior format is beating the pants off of the opposition, and the opposition includes Microsoft, and that delights the crap out of me.

Here here. I continue to hope Blu-Ray wins.

Version3
    Keymaster
    Octavious
    Participant

The final nail to seal the coffin. **Note to George** When are we going to get the über Star Wars Blu-Ray set.

Frank
    Participant

Rumor’s been shot down, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see that happen sometime in the near future.

rob
    Participant

Yeah, his link had been updated. I sure would like to see this thing end, now.

And speaking of now, where is this commentary I keep hearing about, Frank?

Frank
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    Yeah, his link had been updated. I sure would like to see this thing end, now.

And speaking of now, where is this commentary I keep hearing about, Frank?

All right, check the board.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.