:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Video Game Geek Picks

• Comments Off on Video Game Geek Picks

Video Game Geek Picks

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Video Game Geek Picks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bing
    Participant

What are some video games you really like? Doesn’t have to be your favorites or the most recent revolution in gaming and graphics.

Just what are some games that will always be fun for you to play and why?

I really liked… (in no order of preference or date)

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (PC)
    DOOM (PC)
    Quake 2 (PC)
    Deus Ex (PC)
    StarFlight (PC, circa 1987)

Devil May Cry (PS2)
    Scarface (PS2)
    Grand Turismo 3 (PS2)
    Vice City (PS2)

Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX)
    Spiderman 2 (XBOX)
    NASCAR 2003 (XBOX)

right now I am playing Independence War 2 Edge of Chaos on PC and learning quite quickly that fighting in Newtonian Physics is easier said than done…right now I am expert on getting blown up…in fact I’ve been blown-up more than Bucho’s favorite goat…..

NBLIANGW
    002.jpg

Version3
    Keymaster

Jedi Outcast and Academy would definitely make my list… Outcast more so. Still really like that game.

Halo (the first one)

Goldeneye (N64 version of course)

Max Payne and Max Payne 2 (more the first one)

thx_1227
    Participant

Definitely Jedi Outcast, not so much Academy. The missions and maps in Outcast are pretty much unparalleled in a FPS in my opinion. But then I am a Star Wars dork…

KOTOR I and II. There is so much replay value to these games. Not to mention it takes 50 hours to play it through just once.

Battlefront 2. Great multiplayer, though I didn’t dig the single player missions that much.

Oh, did I mention I’m a Star Wars dork…

Pa-ul
    Participant

Let me see.

PC
    Unreal Tournament (Original, 2003 and 2004)
    Doom 3
    Duke Nukem 3D(love the quotes in that game).
    Half life 2
    Couterstrike Source

PS2
    Spiderman 2
    Gran Tourismo 2 and 3
    Any of the Burnout series
    God of War 1 & 2
    Soul Blade/Calibur 3
    The GTA megabox (all the GT series of games)
    Manhunt

Xbox
    Goldeneye
    Project Gotham racing
    Halo

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

Scatt
    Participant

Max Payne is the shit! I loved both.

Any Grand Theft Auto game.

I’m loving skate. and BioShock

The Hitman series (one of my all-time favorites)

rob
    Participant

Starcraft (where’s the love?)
    Diablo I and II
    Super Metroid
    Super Castlevania 4
    Halo 1, 2, 3
    Battlefront II
    Call of Duty 2 (3 sucked)
    Definitely Goldeneye
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

More as I think of them.

El Rustirino
    Participant

I liked COD3.

I haven’t played many game lately. The only nextgen console I own right now is a Wii. And it’s awesome, but it’s not good for actual gaming. I dunno.

Halo: CE
    Metroid Prime 3
    Metal Arms : Glitch in the System
    SSB, SSBM
    Superstar Saga
    Ice Climbers
    Paper Mario – PMATTYD – Super Paper Mario
    LoZ – OoT
    Guitar Hero II (this is so fun)
    SMB 3

I’m into a lot of Nintendo stuff, sure, but damnit, I need some new games that aren’t for a nintendo console. I just got a new PS2, and I want an Xbox 360.

Newman
    Participant

I’ve always loved the mario games, these were the best for me.
    Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
    Super Mario World (SNES)
    Mario 64 (N64)

Sonic games were kickass too.
    Sonic (Genesis)
    Sonic 3 (Genesis)
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GameCube)

Zelda games /drool
    Zelda A Link to the Past (SNES)
    Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64)
    Windwaker and Twilight Princess were good but on different levels

Never went wrong with Goldeneye (N64)
    GTA: Vice City it was always fun to take some cars off random ramps and crash into shit.

Soul Calibur 2 (GameCube/Xbox)
    Time Splitters 2 (GameCube/Xbox)

Halo 2 was fun to play, only really did at LAN parties.

digitaltopia
    Participant

Pirates!
    The Bard’s Tale
    Wasteland
    Racing Destruction
    MPBT (Multiplayer Battletech)
    Final Fantasy
    Chronotrigger
    Maniac Mansion
    Space Quest
    Monkey Island

Bucho
    Participant

I’ve been out of gaming for a while now, maybe three years, because it scares me how addicted I get to them. When they get into your dreams there has to be something wrong. Gaming for hours on end with only minimal interuptions for basic human functions like eating, shitting and “tending” the goats. I know exactly what Scatt means. I’ve messed with consoles but never owned one and never been taken by any of the games I’ve tried out. V8 Supercars (based on the Australian V8 Championship) is probably the coolest thing I’ve played on a console. So almost all my gaming was on PC and was enabled by my brother who’s a total nut (he created the most well known bot in the Quake 4/ Doom 3 universe).

My favourite and most fun and most replayable of all time is Vice City but I don’t think it was the one that consumed my brain the most, that was probably Quake II or Age Of Empires. Duke Nukem got right into my head and I played through it three times, a sweet mix of humour and cool environments and gameplay. I also loved the shit out of Far Cry, really awesome tropical island environments, fun as hell gameplay and a similar, although more subdued, sense of humour to Duke.

I got very into Grand Prix 2 in the late 90s, a great racing sim. I don’t want a total hardout sim but I get bored with the arcade feel of some driving games, of being indestructable, there’s no buzz in that, no stakes. A mistake should cost me something and when you invest time into a season of F1 racing, if you fuck up it hurts. But it’s the buzz of finding the best racing lines, the turn in and braking points, the overtaking spots, the small differences in wheel, stick and pedal input that make big differences in results and also the pure thrill of the competition, the hunter and the hunted, that get me.

Other FPS I’ve liked were Deus Ex and Dark Forces II but they never hooked my like Doom and its spawn. Doom, Doom II, Quake and Quake II I loved. I liked Castle Wolfenstein too. Call Of Duty was really fun and a great story but I haven’t played any of the sequels. In RTS genre Age Of Empires 2 and Warcraft II were my favourites. I liked Starcraft and played through all of it but I liked Warcraft better, I just don’t know why because I hate elves and love spaceships. Age Of Empires I loved because of the cool gameplay and units and also the historical side of it.

Cripes, for someone who doesn’t play much anymore I sure mouth off plenty.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

El Rustirino
    Participant

“tending the goats”

Bucho did you listen to Corby’s thing

Bucho
    Participant
    El Rustirino wrote:
    “tending the goats”

Bucho did you listen to Corby’s thing

No dude, that was a joke in response to Bing’s post. We actually are a sheep-bothering nation. Corby did something about goats? Or games? Or wearing nail-clipping as as clothes? What Corby thing?

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

El Rustirino
    Participant

Oh, okay. Yeah, I thought it was weird, because he said..exactly the same thing. Ha ha oh man I am so out of it

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.