:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Vegas, baby, Vegas!

• Comments Off on Vegas, baby, Vegas!

Vegas, baby, Vegas!

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Vegas, baby, Vegas!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

So yeah, for my new job, they sent my whole team to Vegas for four days for some meetings with the district and regional managers for the project we work for, Kodak. To be perfectly honest, almost none of it pertained to my job, but it was a good time to hang out with the guys that I and the rest of my team support. Most of this might be boring or whatever, but I just wanted to write something, and it’s been a while since I’ve really been able to chime in.

Monday, got there around 1:30, and we had the day to do whatever. We were staying at the MGM Grand, what I would consider to be the middle of the road as far as a strip hotel would be. At one point, I was up around $100 on the slot machines, so I was considered “lucky”. Not really, because in about 45 minutes on Tuesday, I lost most of that. That night, our manager and our team were supposed to meet up for dinner somewhere, but she had something at lunch that didn’t agree with her, so the rest of us (five of us) decided to go out and eat anyway. We had sushi, and I don’t know if you guys like sushi, but I’ve only had it on two other occasions, and the first time it was awesome, and the second time it was horrible. This was somewhere in between, but I think I’ve figured out that I’m just not a big fan of sushi, so whatever.

Tuesday was the big “meeting” day. We sat in a room until 5 talking about stuff, and again, most of it had nothing to do with me or my team. So whatever. That night, we were to meet up at ESPN Zone over at New York New York, a cool-ass hotel, and eat and drink and play. Free dinner, free drinks, so nice. The dinner was really kind of so-so, and I tried my hand at a Mojito, since I’ve never had one, and hey, it was free. I felt like such a square because I’m not a drinker and I didn’t know anybody, so it was hard for me to really network there. My friend, Charlie, was stuck in his hotel room doing a report that had to be complete by midnight EST, or by 9 pm Vegas time, so I called him after a little while and asked if he wanted me to bring him some food or something. He told me to meet him at the fast-food section of the hotel, so I watched him eat, and then we made our way back to ESPN zone. On the way, we got sidetracked by a couple of people coming back from the Zone, a girl on our team and this guy Clancy, one of the IT guys, and the only hardcore Mac guy I’ve found in the whole company. That guy is just cool and funny as shit. Earlier that day, I had walked by his table where he was set up with all the sound equipment and stuff and saw that he had put an Apple sticker on his Dell. I said, “yeah, nice touch,” and he said, “Eh, I’m just thinking different.” Guy’s even funnier when he’s had a few drinks in him. So the four of us hung out for a while, and I left them at a bar around 1:30 in the morning. I was beat, and I don’t drink, so I couldn’t find a reason to keep hanging around, as we had to be up and ready to go by 8 in the morning. Apparently after I left, they had met up with the East team (all the cool fuckin’ New York guys and shit) and the President of our company. They didn’t make it back until 4 or 5 in the morning, so I’m really glad I wasn’t out for all that, even though they said they had a great time.

Wednesday was the scavenger hunt. Now, the idea was that a lot of the DMs and RMs don’t have the best product knowledge, so the idea was to get them to go all over Vegas and take pictures and shit, and then be able to present those pictures at the end of the day with the rest of our product line. I thought it was a great idea, instead of being stuck in a room looking at PowerPoint slides all day, these guys actually got to use the products and see Vegas at the same time. Genius. I was put with the East team, and as I said, cool as shit. I quickly became pretty popular with those guys, because there were clues to what to shoot, like “On the 604, you won’t be able to get a Big Mac at this drive-thru.” After we realized that it’s got to be a drive-thru wedding chapel, I was able to quickly find all of the wedding chapels with my iPhone. And that’s just one example — there were things describing the Las Vegas sign, for example, and I was able to quickly give them the majority of the spots we needed to take pictures of. I got stuck with the walking group, so I had already seen everything we saw, but it was still fun.

Now after we reconvened to collect all the pictures from the various groups, we were free to get some lunch. This one manager said, “I want to go to In-n-Out, and I quickly said, “Let’s go.” She ended up paying for the food, and I paid for the cab ride to get over there. It was frickin’ great, as good as I remembered.

After everything was over, my boss called me up to tell me that the bigwhigs were going to take us to dinner. I was a little worried, as I had shirts and shorts to wear, but no more khakis or anything like that. She said, “Don’t worry, it’s Vegas, there’ll be plenty of that in there,” Charlie and I decided to go with them to this restaurant called Seablue in the Grand. Now, there were 12 of us, most were drinking, and they ordered us an appetizer, that might as well been a whole meal. Lobster, crab, oysters — it was awesome. And then they came around to see what we wanted for the entree. And lo and behold, what’s on that menu? An 8 oz. Kobe beef steak. Wow, so I decided yeah, dude, they’re payin’, and I’m not drinkin’, fuck it, right? I mean, these guys are ordering bottles of wine, I can get the most expensive thing listed on the menu except for the caviar and lobster, yeah?

When they asked how I wanted it cooked, I said to leave it up to the chef. It was served with cooked asparagus, topped with smashed potatoes, the steak on top (already cut, like I’m a big baby or something), and sauteed mushrooms in an olive oil sauce. It’s really hard to explain the taste of this thing — it’s so smooth, not the texture of steak at all. It was more like some culinary exercise, a totally different experience from cutting into some big fat steak and stuff, you know? It really felt and tasted like something special, and it was really frickin’ awesome. At least now I can say I’ve had it, and even better, I didn’t have to pay for it.

I can’t say that I would pay that kind of money for something like that in the future, simply because I’m not much for that kind of experience — I guess I’m just low class, but I kind of like to “wolf” my food, if that makes any sense. I just feel like if I did that with Kobe, I’d be doing it a disservice or something. Overall, I’m really glad I had it, but the highlight of my week still has to go with In-n-Out. I just love dat shit.

So I guess that’s about it, really — fun was had by all, mostly by others. Maybe I should take up drinking so next time I can be in the middle of some of the crazy shit like what was going on this week..

El Rustirino
    Participant

I haven’t read your post yet, but I see no links to any recordings.

I demand an explanation.

rob
    Participant

I’ve been busy, Rusty. You see, when you grow up, you have responsibilities that go beyond things like “fun”. Unfortunately, this past week has prevented me from doing the things I want to do, to what I have to do. I’ll probably do a recording soon, because I miss doing it.

Just calm down, dude, work comes first.

Version3
    Keymaster

You suck by the way. Trying to work out your need to record and have an outlet without including the other two. You should be ashamed.

El Rustirino
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    I’ve been busy, Rusty. You see, when you grow up, you have responsibilities that go beyond things like “fun”. Unfortunately, this past week has prevented me from doing the things I want to do, to what I have to do. I’ll probably do a recording soon, because I miss doing it.

Just calm down, dude, work comes first.

Fuck you and your “work”. I demand free entertainment, asshole.

Dick.

rob
    Participant

Looks like Rusty needs to me put in time-out again.

That being said, sudden extreme unexpainable anger makes me laugh.

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, put him in time out… then feel ashamed. I demand it!

El Rustirino
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    Looks like Rusty needs to me put in time-out again.

That being said, sudden extreme unexpainable anger makes me laugh.

Oh, please put me in the time-out, Robby. Do it hard. You know you like that gay shit, faggot-butt.

rob
    Participant

Faggot-butt?

Faggot butt!?

El Rustirino
    Participant

Yeah, that’s right.

Faggot Butt.

Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, I wolf my food too, even in a fancy pants place. I like good food but it’s really wasted on me since one part of my life I seem to lack patience in is eating.

It’s probably only worth drinking a bit more if you can take it slow and nurse the drink and not get caught up in any of the, “Hey lets do 5 shots each!!” sort of crap that can break out if you’re not careful. If you’ve gotten this far in your life without leaning on the booze it’s not worth starting if you’re going to pay for it the next day.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bing
    Participant
    Bucho wrote:
    Yeah, I wolf my food too, even in a fancy pants place. I like good food but it’s really wasted on me since one part of my life I seem to lack patience in is eating.

It’s probably only worth drinking a bit more if you can take it slow and nurse the drink and not get caught up in any of the, “Hey lets do 5 shots each!!” sort of crap that can break out if you’re not careful. If you’ve gotten this far in your life without leaning on the booze it’s not worth starting if you’re going to pay for it the next day.

Holy Bibing
    BUCHO

Chapter 37 verse 5150

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.