:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Val-Kur-Eee and Earth Stood Still

• Comments Off on Val-Kur-Eee and Earth Stood Still

Val-Kur-Eee and Earth Stood Still

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Val-Kur-Eee and Earth Stood Still

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jor-El
    Participant

Thoughts?

I like titties.

rob
    Participant

Valkyrie looks sweet. So many fine actors in what looks like a frickin’ awesome movie.

TDTESS looks cool, but I’ve heard it’s somewhat of a mess. There’s a pretty big difference between the reviews I’ve read, some call it gutsy, some call it shitty. Hard to tell, really — I’ll probably watch it at some point, but I’m not all excited to go see it.

Bucho
    Participant

“Oh look at me everyone I’m …” Oh, wrong thread.

Bucho wrote:
    I see reasons people might not be amped for this film. Weaving suspense into a true story takes some doing, if the crowd already knows the ending how do you keep them guessing? Then there’s the Cruise-hate that some people can’t or won’t get past. If you weren’t a fan of Superman Returns you could even be worried that Bryan Singer was on a downward slope. Maybe even the idea of krauts talking in American accents is too much to get past.

But seeing this trailer has me hoping he can pull off a Ron Howard (fine tellings of true tales like Apollo 13, Cinderella Man) and deliver a kickass movie of the story of the attempted assasination of Hitler. I don’t have any problem with onscreen Cruise. The accents thing is touch and go, I can’t tell from the trailer if it’ll bug me in the film. I guess I’ll know once I find out what decision they came to on the Fuhrer’s voice (Paw-Paw Adolf?!?).

But for what we already know, this trailer is pretty cool.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/valkyrie.html?showVideo=1

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bing
    Participant

Bing’s Keanu Klaatu review:

spoiler free

First of all let me just come clean and admit something. I like Keanu Reeves….I know, I know, but there’s just something about this charismatic idiot that makes him watchable and likeable even though his acting talent is little to none. So with that in mind, here we go.

Jennifer Connelly is hotter’n hell but too damn skinny. Just wanted to get that out of the way early so I can get to the meat of the review. It was impossible for me to watch this movie and not compare it to the original (for sci-fi geeks the original still holds up today). However, once the film got moving it clearly became its own take on the idea with some not so subtle nods to the original.

Keanu’s Klaatu is the opposite of the original in that Keanu is cold and emotionless with a hint of goodness in him. He plays him with a flat, cerebral slant that was a good choice for an actor better suited to playing himself than transforming into a character. Two of his lines in this movie were dead on perfect and among the most memorable of the year. “Nothing every truly dies, the universe wastes nothing, everything is….transformed” harken back to the Christ-like Klaatu of the original.

Gort, as written is far more terrifying than the original but he misses the mark onscreen. Too much exposition and not enough mystery and suspense.

Oh and the annoying ass spoiled brat kid role is played by Will Smith’s oh so untalented penis drip Jaden Smith. My dad is a school teacher, does that mean I can teach…hell no, wish hollywood would learn talent doesn’t always pass from parent to child. 10 seconds into his first scene I wanted this kid to be shot into the moon on a shit powered rocket….seriously, this kid damned near ruined the whole thing. Every scene he is in you want to hurt him. Bad casting, bad acting, just bad, bad, bad…….bad

There are some pleasant “cameo’s” for lack of a better term, John Cleese is only in a small but pivotal role and he captures the essence of the story in only about 3 minutes. He plays it straight, no humor and it is magnificent. My only complaint is that he didn’t feed young Jaden to a rabid rat colony living in crack hooker vaginal droppings, but no one is perfect.

All in all the movie is like this. Wonderful sci-fi idea, terrifying possibilities all wrapped in a telling that is neither. The movie doesn’t end so much as it stops. I would have loved to see some type of epilogue that would show us consequences of the ending, instead we get Jayden’s dumbass line and the end credits…gee, thanks!

High points are of course Cleese’s scene and the first scene with Klaatu and the sec. of defense Kathy Bates. One spooky line was from Klaatu when asked “What were you before you were human” his response, “It would only frighten you.” This to me illustrates what is wrong with this movie, they were smart enough not to Star Trek it —- “I was a Tarkalian Fire Bat” stupid and a sci-fi cop-out “It would only frighten you” spooky and even clever. Which sucks because this movie could have been both, instead is neither.

Oh and did I mention that Jaden Smith ruined an already crappy movie. God that kid sucks!

Jor-El
    Participant

Thanks Bing. I’m looking forward to seeing it. I just watched the extended 7 minute clip. I know nothing of the original.

I like titties.

Bucho
    Participant

Nice write-up Bing. Did you know they’re going to remake The Karate Kid with that boy? Now there’s a sign of The End of all things.

Also … God I love Jennifer Connelly.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bing
    Participant
    Bucho wrote:
    Also … God I love Jennifer Connelly.

Yes, she is the good.

rob
    Participant

She was the good. She’s way too thin now. Look her up in the Rocketeer. She was hot then.

Version3
    Keymaster

I’ve just never liked her at all. -big surprise. She was just almost hot to me.

Bing
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    She was the good. She’s way too thin now. Look her up in the Rocketeer. She was hot then.

career opportunities…yep.

Jor-El
    Participant

Ok, just got back from seeing Earth. I liked it alright. It’s a one timer for me though. Don’t want to spoil it for anyone so I’ll wait. But yes that damn kid is annoying as hell because hell is probably annoying.

I like titties.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.