:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

TV Shows You’re Watching…

• Comments Off on TV Shows You’re Watching…

TV Shows You’re Watching…

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder TV Shows You’re Watching…

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    BuchoBucho
    Participant

Next time you’re Tom Hanksing in Seattle try some Derry Girls Captain. I’m curious what you’d make of an Irish comedy like that.

Altered Carbon had a couple of dud episodes but was mostly fun. I gradually became a fan of Joel Kinnaman and will miss him in S2.

Been watching The Righteous Gemstones – John Goodman, Danny McBride, Edi Patterson, Walton Goggins. It rules. I even like Adam Devine in it and I’d never really rated him before this.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Finished The Righteous Gemstones a couple of nights ago and I’m not afraid to tell you guys … I liked it A WHOLE LOT.

BenBen
    Participant

My wife and I (got married a few months ago – yee haw) just moved to the US and now I have access to all these new streaming services we didn’t have in Canada, AND we got a free TV subscription in our building. I haven’t had a TV subscription since 2011, and we left our old ~2007s flatscreen in Canada, so I even got to upgrade to brand new 55″ Samsung. I tell you, leapfrogging twelve years of TVs is quite an adventure

The Office – I never got the hype of this when I was younger, but we watched a couple shows and man are they really good.

The Grand Tour – On amazon video, since we got Prime I watched this and it’s rocky in the first season but so far season 2 is doing pretty good

Still looking at other ones to watch, but our TV time is pretty minimal

We also watch Korean dramas online, and there are quite a few really good ones that receive critical acclaim, stand alone series of 12-20 episodes with crazy plot twists. If anyone is into those I can give some recommendations.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by BenBen.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by BenBen.
    BuchoBucho
    Participant

Coronavirus isolation TV update:

I’ve been catching up on a couple of shows everyone else on the planet has seen except me … Arrested Development and The IT Crowd.

AD is a lot more broadly goofy than I expected. For some reason I was expecting a laser-sharp, 30 Rock/Veep style deal but it’s much more along the lines of traditional sitcoms, leaning hard on low-hanging fruit. Some ace performances elevate the material though, especially Arnett, Walter, Hale and Tambor.

The IT Crowd is about what I expected. I’ve been a fan of Ayoade in particular from things like The Big Fat Quiz and epecially Travel Man, the best travel show in the history of television, but never got round to watching the show that launched him. Harmless but charming fun.

robrob
    Participant

I’ve also been catching up on some “oh yeah, I did want to watch that” kind of thing.

I watched all 4 of the available seasons of Better Call Saul on Netflix, and I really enjoyed it (finished season 4 last night in fact). It makes me want to buy season 5 on iTunes since I’m a cord cutter, but since they’re planning a season 6 (the final season), I’ll just wait it out.

I did buy The Office US a while back since it was super-cheap on iTunes a couple of months back, and holy crap what a great show (was my first time watching ANY of it). I was really surprised at how attached I got to the characters. Season 9 was a bit of a mixed bag, but overall I still really enjoyed it on the whole.

Mostly though, I’m still a Twitch-bitch, watching lots of streamers and live shows. I do want to watch Hunters and Jack Ryan S2 on Amazon, and I recently did watch Watchmen and The Outsider on HBO.

Watchmen – if you’re a fan of the OG comic, I think you’ll really dig it. It’s a continuation of that story 30 years or so later, and I found it fascinating. Prepare to not know what the hell is going on for the first few episodes, but holy shit does it pay off. I can’t see them doing any more since Lindelof has stated that he doesn’t want to do anything further unless divine inspiration strikes, and right now there are no plans. I’ll be thankful for that, because I have no idea how you could continue it and have it have the same impact. I’d give it a 3.75/4.

The Outsider – I read the Stephen King book this was based on and knew it quite well, so I was really interested in it. To me, there’s some padding in there vs the book, but since King was involved, it seemed to have that King flavor. Now that it’s over, I have to say that it was…okay. Fine, not great. I’d say if you’re a fan of King, it’s definitely recommended, but for everyone else, watch that first episode. If it hooks you, then just be aware that there’s a supernatural element to it, but I still feel like it’s worth it, but you kinda need that first episode to hook you. 2.75/4

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

Alone is the show we started right before all this crap fired up. We are almost done with it (starting S5) and it’s weird that I like any reality TV show. Basically, this is what Survivor should have been. It’s people with minimal gear, dropped into a remote area all competing for who can hold out the longest. I didn’t think I’d find it entertaining, but I do. It has the near-minimum amount of reality BS to keep it from being unbearable. It doesn’t hurt that the first few seasons were shot somewhat near where we lived in the PacNW.

Arrested Development was a fun show. It’s goofy, and although I can see where it gets to be a little formulaic like sit-coms, the comedy was a little outside the norm and kept me involved. I really enjoyed it, but I think I would have liked it better a little at a time. It was harder to binge-watch it after the second season.

The Office US was a great show. We watched it as it aired, and although it had slow times, it was a great show. I’ve proposed that we watch it from the start, but I don’t think Jessica is there yet.

Watchmen I really enjoyed. I read the same thing about it continuing and although I’d love to watch more, I was immediately suspicious that anything that followed would have more than a hard time being anything better than “meh”.

Jack Ryan S2 I watched immediately when it came out. I liked it quite a bit. It wasn’t as good as S1, but not notably worse either. Different, and I still enjoyed it.

Better Caul Saul: I really like this show. We got stuck part of the way through Season 4 because we were watching as it was airing and got side-tracked. It’s been hard to get Jessica back into it, but I’m going to fight her for it when we are done with our current show. I need to get S5 and share.

The Outsider we just lost interest in. That padding is really apparent and nothing has moved enough for us to give a shit about anyone in the show. So, we just stopped watching. I’m usually only partly invested in SK stuff, so no surprise for me here.

I’ve also started Avenue 5 which is silly, but has had a few moments. It’s a little hit or miss with me, so I’m only watching when I’m out of other stuff. Some of the situations/details are very very funny, but then the actors/characters come along and make it average.

Still watching Marvelous Mrs Maisel as each season comes out. It’s still good, but hardly as good as it started out.

The Expanse: Are y’all watching that? Why the fuck not???

Altered Carbon S2 sucks. I’ve read a review or two that was really kind to it, and I don’t understand how a show could have given reviewers a blowjob to make them lie like that. Yeah, it sucks and I’m only trying to finish it to feel like I didn’t miss anything.

The Good Place the ending of this show felt rushed, but I still liked it all the way to the end.

Sex Education this is a damn funny show and I like most of the characters in it. Gillian Anderson is both distracting as a brit, and believable. The comedy is pretty absurd, and manages some really outlandish sexual humor without feeling cheap; it feels a little like shock value, but for a purpose other than being talked about for it. I recommend this one.

I’m sure there’s a bunch more that I’ve watched in the last few months… I’m just tired of typing right now.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Holy cow Captain, how did you manage to watch all those shows with only two eyes? Have you had extra eyes installed?

BuchoBucho
    Participant

I had the same thoughts about AD … that binging it was a suboptimal way to engage with it for me, and also that I’d have liked it more if I’d watched in the mid-2000s.

Also with you on The Good Place, not the sharpest show but very lovable until the end, although I found the finale depressing as heck.

I don’t have Amazon Prime so I haven’t seen The Expanse, but everyone says it’s a good time. Word on the street is Robby is going to dive in on that one, and may even be watching it as I write this.

I watched the first two eps of Sex Education a few weeks ago, hoping it could fill the gap left by Derry Girls, but I couldn’t get into it.

I watched and mostly enjoyed S1 of Altered Carbon, but not enough to have been tempted into trying S2 yet.

I’m probably going to give Better Call Saul a go, because I’ve always been a Bob Odenkirk fan, but I haven’t watched Breaking Bad yet.

Aside from that I’ve been catching up on Netflix stand-up specials.
    – Chappelle’s 3 were the best I’ve seen so far, he’s just on another level as far as I’m concerned.
    – Burr’s 2019 special wasn’t as good as previous specials of his, but I’m still a fan.
    – Maron’s was disappointing, it felt like material which needed more work to hone into something potent.
    – Jeselnick I’ve always liked, but I prefer the more personal approaches of the other guys.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by BuchoBucho.

robrob
    Participant

I started watching the Expanse and got like 4-5 episodes in. It’s just not grabbing me, but maybe I should stick with it…?

I still need to watch Jack Ryan S2. I guess I was just meh on the first season, but it definitely wasn’t bad or anything.

And holy crap, watch Breaking Bad, Bucho! May be my favorite series ever.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.