:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

TV Shows You’re Watching…

• Comments Off on TV Shows You’re Watching…

TV Shows You’re Watching…

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder TV Shows You’re Watching…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

That’s exactly what I thought the first episode. “Hey this is like Firefly.” Then I saw it was dated 1998.

Attention to detail, deliberate pacing. It’s the bee’s knees, yo.

One of the few anime shows I watch the intro every single time for that catchy theme music.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by LarkitectLarkitect.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by LarkitectLarkitect.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

robrob
    Participant

I haven’t tried anime in quite a while, simy because a lot of it just seems to be “let’s be weird” with no reason or anything. I enjoyed Akira and Ghost in the Shell, but beyond that, I always had trouble finding one that really spoke to me.

I have not watched Cowboy Bebop though, and the comparisons to Firefly definitely perked my ears up.

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

If you like Akira and GitS I really think you’d dig Cowboy Bebop.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

I liked Ghost in the Shell well enough but never really fell in love with it. Tried a few other anime but most of them just irritated me.

Bebop though, I really love. Probably the most Firefly-esque thing is it’s a ragtag spaceship crew travelling job to job. One particular thing I always loved about Han and Chewy and the Falcon, which Firefly also shared, was the oddly charming way the ship would break down sometimes because it wasn’t a military or science vessel crewed by people with a massively-budgeted megaorganisation backing them. Star Trek and Galactica and Buck Rogers and whateverthefuckelse spaceship-based shows we’ve seen are all massively-budgeted megaorganisation backed, but Han and Chewy and Spike and Jet and Mal and Zoe all live kind of hand-to-mouth. In a way it’s the same with Luke being a poor farm kid. It helps ground those characters in a way those other shows never really managed. Plus Bebop has the most badass soundtrack of any TV show in history, animated and live action alike. And it has kung fu fights.

I will say this though – and I don’t know your take on this Lark – but as much as Bebop is somewhat renowned for having a very popular dub, I still find it much better with the original Japanese actors and subtitles. The Japanese actress for Faye is a little high-pitched but I still prefer the more laconic, understated, wry Clint Eastwood style delivery of the Japanese actors for Spike and Jet to the more whacky and broad Saturday morning cartoon vibe of the dubs.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

Honestly, I’m so used to the voice actors on more recent anime it didn’t even cross my mind to check the Japanese track with subs. But I will.

I’m a big fan of Jamie Marchi’s writing and voice work. So much so that even if she’s not on a project I always default to the dub.

But live action Asian movies? I always watch the original language with subs. Especially Japanese. I LOVE the cadence of the Japanese language.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

I also have never watched Cowboy Bebop, but have had many people insist I’d love it. Maybe I’ll try it at some point.

I saw that you mentioned The Flash Lark… I got suckered into this one too. It gets worse, the crossover episode made me go watch Arrow (all of it). Both of these shows remind me of what I hated about Smallville, and both of these have just enough of the hero story to keep me in there. The Flash is much better than Arrow, if for only the fact that they haven’t fucked up a ton. I love the fact that they are hinting so heavily at the Flashpoint Paradox storyline, I hope that’s where they are headed.

Arrow just plain makes me mad in a way that makes it WAY too much like Smallville. It’s super annoying in this case too, because after several seasons you can see tons of really great nods to the GA stories, and inclusions of a lot of details. But the CW/WB’s need for young best of best pretty people in every role, makes the experience of each episode hard to endure. The Ra’s al Ghul storylines are particularly terrible and annoying, as is the super hacker crap that I’ve always hated in these shows, and the super clumsy way they brought in Black Canary (again… Ra’s al Ghul stories are stupid and in great-number in the Arrow universe).

The Flash has the same young, pretty and the best at everything problem, and I expect before we get halfway through the next season, at least one other cast member will get all of Barry’s powers and Barry will be “normal” until they put things back to how they are supposed to be. They do this shit in every show.

I’m completely avoiding Gotham despite the fact that some people swear it’s good. They are bringing WAY to many famous villains to this city already, completely screwing up nearly every origin story in a way that just makes it exist (in a bad way) outside the DC universe. DC is ALWAYS going to have this problem while they are trying to grow and compete with Marvel. They can’t.

And now also, I’ve started watching Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. because why not completely commit to being a sucker. Again, same stupid casting problems, though not necessarily across the board. This show has a problem it MUST contend with… it has to be possible to produce episodes on a schedule, which means it needs to stay pretty-much super hero-free so that they can afford to make them. This results in some clunky stepping through the events of the Avenger universe with regards to it’s recent history, and with creating stories that can exist on their own, without the needs for the Avengers. It’s gotta be hard to do, while creating a season-long story arc that actually feels like the whole world is in danger. The show does this pretty well considering the guardrails it has to put up to do it. But it still has a lot of the same issues. Luckily, it’s better than the two shows mentioned above. What I worry about, is how this show will still exist with the next Avengers movie, and stand alone movies coming along. Will Coulson still be “unknown” to the Avengers? Will we deal much with these secondary evil characters, or even the ‘heroes’? Most importantly, what will be the status of S.H.E.I.L.D. and ‘when’ will the next movies take place in the events of the TV universe? I’m betting that the architects of the Marvel universe have planned this out pretty damn well, and although there will be minor conflicts, the ‘Agents of’ sandbox will be pretty safe. I’ll have to try the Agent Carter series as well now, to see if the tie-ins are as well planned as they try to come off in this series.

As for other shows I’m watching… I’m watching that stupid “How to Get Away With Murder” with the wife. It sucks, but the over-arching crime story of the season was pretty interesting until lately. The show is weak.

Just started “Better Call Saul”. I expect to love it, but I haven’t even watched the second episode yet.

Aside of what I’ve already been watching from this thread so far (although Parenthood finally ended… and it did it pretty well) I’m watching John Oliver, and plan to try this Last Man on Earth show.

robrob
    Participant

I still watch the Walking Dead, but I’m tiring of it. Elementary is still great. The Americans is a pretty good show, so I’m still with it for now. South Park and SNL almost don’t count in my eyes, because they’ll just always be there. I watch Person of Interest with the wife, and I still like it okay – it doesn’t make my eyes bleed like Criminal Minds and CSI: Bumfuck, Egypt. Of course, I watch enough MMA to make nuns pregnant, so there’s that. And lately, it’s been on a LOT.

I tried Agent Carter, got bored. Tried Arrow, got bored. Tried Agents of SHIELD, got bored. I just find that I don’t have any patience for the silly shit that most shows seem to have to do. “Oh, somebody got killed, huh? Well, there’s two commercial breaks left, so now we’ve figured it out.” I like overarching stories, not ones that seem artificially wrapped up in 42 minutes. I know that there’s no way to fill 22-24 episodes with nothing but story because it’d all be done in a year, but treading water story-wise is even worse to me. I’d rather have a kickass story that’s wrapped up in 10-12 episodes than 22-24 episodes with a lot of fluff.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

It’s funny, I don’t like 42-minute stories, and I hate season long stories because they have a lot of stall built into them. I wish that people would just be braver and write a fucking story, then film whatever they can in “chapters” and call it done. If anything, the shows that really have huge following have proved this works fairly well… so what say you broadcast fucktards? Do you really want to survive pay and subscription content? Try updating the content… not the marketing.

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

Couldn’t gt thru the first episode of Agents of Shield.

Watched about 3 episodes of Gotham. Man, I really wanted to like Gotham.

Yeah, I got suckered in to Arrow as well. Guilty pleasure.

I know Geoff Johns has a show credit but I have no idea how much actual creative input he has. I am hoping above all hope The Flash is heading down the Flashpoint Paradox route.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Any of y’all superhero show watching mofos taken a run at Daredevil yet?

robrob
    Participant

Not yet, but I’ve heard good things. I have so much media to consume right now it’s crazy.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

I have it on my list of shows to start in the next few days. Has been too stressful during the day at work to do the half-watch that I do with Arrow and Flash currently.

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

Just finished episode 3. Liking it so far.

I haven’t had any issues with casting. Action choreography is pretty good.

As expected, the audio mix has a lot of nice touches to let us know we’re in a blind man’s world.

robrob
    Participant

Watched episode one and was immediately sucked in. I’m waiting for April to watch it so we can watch it together.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Just watched episode 6 of season 6 of Community. Once upon a time the show felt like whatever genius used to mean when it used to mean something, but that was about 4 seasons ago. Now it feels like I’m watching mostly out of habit. Gillian Jacobs continues to be aces and the addition of Keith David doesn’t hurt, but the three main cast-members the show has lost have left a huge hole the show has never found a way to fill.

Also just watched episode 5 of season 4 of Veep. Whatever genius used to mean when it used to mean something … that’s what Veep is. It should be impossible for television to be that good. It’s comedy so magnificent it feels like magic. So perfectly timed it’s like watching world class dancers. They say comedy is the most difficult screen artform to master – which is why so many comedic actors make great dramatic actors but not so much vice versa – and these guys and gals are absolute masters.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.