:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

TV Shows You’re Watching…

• Comments Off on TV Shows You’re Watching…

TV Shows You’re Watching…

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder TV Shows You’re Watching…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    BuchoBucho
    Participant

They just started screening Brooklyn Nine Nine over here and three episodes in it’s already surprisingly solid. Not every joke lands and Andy Samberg’s character is kind of a half-assed creation, which is a shame considering he’s the lead, but everything else is on the money.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

robrob
    Participant

I haven’t seen that one, but Samberg’s really hit or miss with me.

I’m really jazzed to catch up on True Detective, since I just got HBO.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Yeah, I have all the True Detectives DVRed but since the missus doesn’t like heavy or gruesome stuff (even though she loves MMA, the weirdo) I have to find time to watch it on my own or with one of my brothers. Same with Game of Thrones.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

The quick comments…

Brooklyn Nine Nine: I shouldn’t like this as much, because it’s pretty formulaic… but I do. Samberg is exactly as hit or miss as you’d expect, but this show has enough funny that I’m watching and I enjoy it. I really like Terry Crews; him doing comedy already makes it funny regardless of quality. But I think emotes (over the top) very well. Totally caught up on them, last episode of the season airs next week I think.

True Detective: I like it. The show has slower episodes, this is really great for tension and such. But, it’s reached a point where I felt like they were slowing down to make sure they could play things out for a season. It picked back up a touch, and I’m still watching. It’s a good show, but I’m not totally on “great show” yet. There are great things about it.

House of Cards: I just started it (as if I need yet another fucking strong drama to occupy my time). I’m three episodes in, and I really really like it. I like the reality that construct where all of the things you suspect/know go on in politics are so commonplace that they aren’t pulled into focus except where our main characters do this for story focus. Spacey constantly breaking the Fourth wall to sidebar situations or provide colorful narrative is really great too. It’s obvious why this show is doing so well, and I’m very likely going to plow through both seasons quickly since Jessica is surprisingly into it also.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Crews is a ton of fun. I’m only in the early episodes so I don’t know how it develops, but at least half of what is wrong with Peralta is the way he’s written. Parks and Recreation took a while to get Leslie Knope right even though Amy Poehler can be funny so I’m letting Samberg slide for a while, especially since every other character is humming along impressively for a 3 episode old show.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

The only character/actor I think is just plain terrible on the show is that Gina/Chelsea Peretti. Her comedy delivery is crap, and she has that stupid delivery “mechanism” where she delivers her line with her head slightly to the side and back, then just jerks it backward a little more. She adds to that with this weird voice thing… I don’t like how they can’t decide if she’s the only cool in-touch character, or if she’s blindly marching to the beat of her own awkward drum. This is the character most in flux (it’s apparent more after 18 episodes), and most in need of being ejected directly into a collapsing star.

Luckily the show doesn’t seem to be “about” Samberg. I think he can be quite funny… but IS funny is a stretch, and I’d hate to see a show just written around him.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

I started watching New Girl for their 4th season. I always dismissed it before because I didn’t enjoy Zooey Deschanel but then a few folks I respect comedy-taste-wise said it was a good show so I tried it and whadayaknow … she’s not just not annoying she’s pretty funny and surrounded by a really good cast. For me it’s not on the level of 30 Rock or Veep but it is sharper than Parks & Rec or Brooklyn Nine-Nine. About on the same level as Community in terms of funniness, but without the plotting.

I also watched the first 3 eps of Penny Dreadful. Fun, but not enough to addict me.

Also been watching Children’s Hospital again. It’s kind of like the Zucker brothers had a 12-minute TV show. Very fun.

robrob
    Participant

The only shows I watch with any sort of real regularity are Elementary and The Walking Dead, and not just because I want in Emily Kinney’s pants.

Oh, and True Detective blew my nuts off and then miraculously reattached them so now when I pee I have multiple orgasms. Try finding that sentence anywhere on the planet.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

Emily Kenny? She has a weird alien head, and sounds like she needs to be punched into nearest vat of sulfur hexafluoride. Also, she looks 16. So, like a 16 year old alien headed thing.

I really hope a second season of True Detective can be as good, and not try to be the same. It would be nice if the next season/story line were built from the characters, rather than having characters confirm to tell the story. Seems like the premise of the show is just too dependent on these tangible characters to have it any other way.

I still watch Elementary, although this season I’m just not feeling it. Still watching Parenthood, but this is the last season. Also still watching a handful of other random crap, but mostly because Jessica wants to watch it, and I’m pretty lazy/couch-bound these days because reasons.

robrob
    Participant

There’s just something about Emily I really like. Again, I’ve never been much for blondes, so this is weird.

April has been a bit unhappy about the way it’s been going, but I think it’s been fine.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

I’ve been watching Bluestone 42, a BBC comedy about an IED disposal unit in Afghanistan. It’s not as sharp as The Thick of It but it’s sharper than Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Or at least the lead is way better than Andy Samberg. Surprisingly well produced firefights and splosions too. Odd for a comedy series to have decent action scenes, but this one has them.

robrob
    Participant

I haven’t been watching anything new. I just still been trying to catch up on movies. All the new shows seem to just pissed me off so I just stick with the movies.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by robrob.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by robrob.
    BuchoBucho
    Participant

I watched the Top Gear Specials for Myanmar/Thailand and the Source of the Nile. So fuckin’ fun.

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

Just picks up the Cowboy Bebop set. Holy crap is this show good!

But as for network offerings. I’m loving The Flash and Baxter. And Grimm. And Scorpion.

It’s so hard to get into TV. I’m still such a huge movie whore. Especially bad movies.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Cowboy Bebop is fuckin awesome. I typically don’t get down with anime but my bro showed me a couple of eps and I ended up buying the whole set. It’s kind of like an animated art/jazz/noir/less cutesy version of Firefly but from before Firefly. Puts all other sci-fi TV I’ve seen to shame.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.