:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

today I’m feeling it

• Comments Off on today I’m feeling it

today I’m feeling it

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge today I’m feeling it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Version3
    Keymaster

The un-employed feeling. Oh sure, I’ve been freelancing some but it’s not perm, it’s chaotic in this household and it’s suffering the same problem as my traditional employment: not getting paid.

Ugh.

One of my freelance projects from two weeks ago stalled. It was sizable, and I was really counting on it’s timing. I also hadn’t worked the week before that (week of the 4th) so I didn’t get a paycheck that week. Since then it’s been a game of bailing water out of the boat. My cup seems to be half the size of the hole. Then… my paycheck got screwed up this week. I had auto-payments scheduled. Guess what happened to them? Won’t get paid until Monday, and it will just barely be over the hole it’s timing created. That’s created a bigger set of issues than I’m prepared to explain right now.

And I can tell, I just can… the freelance project from before that stalled? Yeah, it’s due to start (with deposit). I just know they shopped me to find sub-par work for cheaper. I’ll probably get the news in the next couple of days. It’s a bummer, but sometimes you can just feel it coming.

At least I had a couple of good interviews this week. One of them backed off from full-time to suggest freelance (damn), but they still liked me pretty well.

Anyway, was just bummed out and kept getting “no topics or replies…”, so I thought I’d just share.

rob
    Participant

Damn, that sucks dude. I’m guessing that it’s the “cool” one you were talking about that suggested freelance, am I right? That’s poo.

Version3
    Keymaster

It’s the one that I said their environment is cool. But it’s not that big job that I’ve been hoping for, so that’s good.

Bing
    Participant

If it helps I hate my current job

El Rustirino
    Participant

If it helps I don’t have to work

Version3
    Keymaster

But now that big job that I was hoping for has moved on to other candidates. So that is super poo. I really thought I’d see the next round because I’m sure I nailed that interview. I think it was likely closer related to how non-technical my recent position looks on paper. When compared to the few others I just probably came up as a little less a potential fit. Sucks.

rob
    Participant

Wow, dude, that does suck.

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, I was really looking forward to that one. It was going to be a challenge, but it least it was an upward move from my last position.

I’d have a job right now, but I’ve had my requirements set at the “high bar”; no backward movement. Only lateral and up from my last position in at least the income space, and only 1 step-back, lateral or up in position. When you aren’t working those can be hard requirements to have on a weak job market.

Bucho
    Participant

Are those requirements purely because of your current financial responsibilities or are they part of your overall career plan, as in – If I step too far back now I’m undoing things I’ve already built?

If it makes you feel any better mate, every day for the last three weeks I’ve been working in the mud and there’s only been one day without rain. And our pets heads are falling off.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Version3
    Keymaster

Both. Financial obligations are a pretty big deal obviously, but I made it pretty far up the ladder already. I don’t mind having to work my way back up one position because I’m going to a new environment and need to learn a different way of going about things, or because it’s a larger group with different dynamics; but I don’t want to be too low. People would look at my resume and think that my Creative Director title was just an honorary role, and one I didn’t earn and work for. That would trivialize my time in that position, and greatly devalue my skills in the marketplace.

At least with Freelancing, I leave some of my project management and business building skills in play.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.