:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

To new heights: My boss bans the use of a phrase

• Comments Off on To new heights: My boss bans the use of a phrase

To new heights: My boss bans the use of a phrase

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge To new heights: My boss bans the use of a phrase

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

Due to us “not wishing to offend anyone,” our editor has decreed that from here on out, we are to refrain from using the phrase “lily white” unless he tells us we can use it. I kid you not.

Frank
    Participant

Due to us “not wishing to offend anyone,” our editor has decreed that from here on out, we are to refrain from using the phrase “lily white” unless he tells us we can use it. I kid you not.

Bucho
    Participant

You mean in print? Or just in general conversation? Either way, this is an opportunity to replace that disgusting term, both in your work and around the office, with some more acceptable synonyms such as angel-white, pure, and God’s chosen. Oh the look on bossman’s face …

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bucho
    Participant

You mean in print? Or just in general conversation? Either way, this is an opportunity to replace that disgusting term, both in your work and around the office, with some more acceptable synonyms such as angel-white, pure, and God’s chosen. Oh the look on bossman’s face …

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Frank
    Participant

Hell, I’m trying to figure out how to get it in a headline at this point.

Frank
    Participant

Hell, I’m trying to figure out how to get it in a headline at this point.

rob
    Participant

Lily white? What the hell does that even mean?

rob
    Participant

Lily white? What the hell does that even mean?

Version3
    Keymaster

Frank… find a lady named “Lilly White” and hit her with a stolen car and run. Headline, and rule broken. 😛

Version3
    Keymaster

Frank… find a lady named “Lilly White” and hit her with a stolen car and run. Headline, and rule broken. 😛

Octavious
    Participant

Who and What the fuck is Lily White and why is your boss being a dick like that.

Octavious
    Participant

Who and What the fuck is Lily White and why is your boss being a dick like that.

Frank
    Participant

Apparently, people are taking offense to it. Here’s the email my boss sent out:

Friends,

On Saturday’s A1, we used the term “lily-white” to describe Chester’s Dixie Youth baseball league in the 1960s. Whoever wrote the item was literally correct – a definition of lily white is “characterized by or favoring the exclusion of” black people, especially in political organizations. There’s no doubt that the Chester Dixie Youth baseball league did not admit black children until Bill Watts came along in 1969. I once had an editor who repeatedly said, “Words are words, and they mean what they mean.” In this case, the words meant what they meant to mean.

Still, some people find the term “lily-white” offensive. Many believe it has become a racial slur. Because I believe we should not needlessly offend people, let’s refrain from using that term. If we do use it, I need to approve.

Thanks

Frank
    Participant

Apparently, people are taking offense to it. Here’s the email my boss sent out:

Friends,

On Saturday’s A1, we used the term “lily-white” to describe Chester’s Dixie Youth baseball league in the 1960s. Whoever wrote the item was literally correct – a definition of lily white is “characterized by or favoring the exclusion of” black people, especially in political organizations. There’s no doubt that the Chester Dixie Youth baseball league did not admit black children until Bill Watts came along in 1969. I once had an editor who repeatedly said, “Words are words, and they mean what they mean.” In this case, the words meant what they meant to mean.

Still, some people find the term “lily-white” offensive. Many believe it has become a racial slur. Because I believe we should not needlessly offend people, let’s refrain from using that term. If we do use it, I need to approve.

Thanks

Octavious
    Participant

You should came the next day dress like the 1920’s entertainers/Ted Danson and reply: yes’um Master, my I get yo’ newspap’a so’s you can’s read it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.