:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

these aren’t the droids® you’re looking for

• Comments Off on these aren’t the droids® you’re looking for

these aren’t the droids® you’re looking for

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge these aren’t the droids® you’re looking for

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Larkitect
    Participant

just read that the moto droid® will be known as the motorola milestone outside the states. i saw the disclaimer at the end of one of the commercials that “Droid is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used under license.”

i just thought it was interesting that verizon licensed the droid® name. i wonder how much they paid for it.

[DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Not used under license but please don’t sue me.]

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Version3
    Keymaster

I wonder if it is Verizon that licensed it, or Motorola. If it was Moto, it would still have to appear legally in a Verizon commercial featuring the phone I would think.

Larkitect
    Participant

good point. i just assumed it verizon because i can’t see why motorola would pay to license the name for just one network. i don’t really understand why verizon would but it makes more sense to me than motorola.

its not like either is in competition with lucasfilm in any way. in context it relates to the OS running on the phone, not anything in the star wars universe.

Bucho
    Participant

In New Zealand it’s being called the Moto Druid. All the text is in runes.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Version3
    Keymaster

The name is of value to Motorola and/or Verizon because they are using the OS to propel the handset into notoriety. If they could manage a little public misconception that causes their brand (model name) to be permanently associated with the Android OS, then they own proficiency on the platform. It would go a long way if the phone is a huge success, because other phones will be competing with the handset that really ‘made’ Android in the public eye. That’s my take on it. And if it’s correct, that name could be quite valuable to either or both of them.

Larkitect
    Participant

thanks. business models aren’t my forté.

so this is kind of like how ‘xerox’ is synonymous with copies even though it is actually a brand name? and why google is fighting to keep its name from quickly becoming a verb?

i bought one a couple days ago, so that’s why the interest. no big deal, i’m just curious.

Bucho
    Participant

Hey guys, what about that druid joke I made back there? Did you see my druid joke? I said it’s the Moto-Druid and it uses runes. ‘Cause druid’s almost like droid and … it’s …

Guys?

Ok, fine, forget it.

How do you like the phone anyway Lark?

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Larkitect
    Participant

@Bucho 42414 wrote:

Hey guys, what about that druid joke I made back there? Did you see my druid joke? I said it’s the Moto-Druid and it uses runes. ‘Cause druid’s almost like droid and … it’s …

Guys?

Ok, fine, forget it.

How do you like the phone anyway Lark?

actually that was very funny bucho.

overall i’m liking it a lot. i’m not saying its an iphone killer but its definitely a decent alternative (finally) for us verizon folks.

worst thing is the camera. i can have the thing in perfect focus. take the picture but it comes out not quite right. not really blurry, but just not as good as i think it should. in relation to everything else on the droid®, it just seems almost tacked on. its not a deal breaker because i hardly ever use the camera on a cell phone. mostly just for blackmail or just playing around.

best thing about it is the screen. @480×854 its gorgeous for a handheld. i can’t say enough about how nice the screen is on this thing.

naturally the app store isn’t as robust as apple’s. i’ve got a lot of the usual stuff (pandora, last.fm, skype. stuff like that.) just not a lot of the creative pointless apps that are so fun to play with.

other than the camera i can’t think of anything i don’t like about it so far. all i know is that i don’t want an iphone anymore. i’m not saying its better than the iphone, i’m just saying that its definitely a nice gadget for us verizon technophiles that have been itching for our shot at the iphone.

the best part is they are matching the iphone price point with a 2yr. contract. since it was my primary line i also got a $50 rebate. so i definitely got my money’s worth at just $150.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I think it’s ridiculous that Lucasfilm was able to trademark the word “droid” considering it’s always just been a shortened version of the word “android”. But then again some other company trademarked the word “windows”, so I guess there you go.

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, but the word droid (as far as I know) wasn’t in use before Lucas… I don’t recall having seen/heard it from anywhere that originated before 1977, so it’s likely that the word was coined there.

I think trademarking is a grey area that has run out of control. I don’t think anyone should be able to trademark a word, except in the industry that affects their product/service. In other words, someone should be able to name a cleaning product “Windows”. This works just fine with creative works, and you don’t see people crying that nobody knows which one is theirs.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I think my favorite is when that Video Professor guy trademarked the phrase, “Try my product.”

Larkitect
    Participant

@Version3 42425 wrote:

Yeah, but the word droid (as far as I know) wasn’t in use before Lucas… I don’t recall having seen/heard it from anywhere that originated before 1977, so it’s likely that the word was coined there.

I think trademarking is a grey area that has run out of control. I don’t think anyone should be able to trademark a word, except in the industry that affects their product/service. In other words, someone should be able to name a cleaning product “Windows”. This works just fine with creative works, and you don’t see people crying that nobody knows which one is theirs.

1. that’s my understanding as well.

2. and yes i completely agree.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.