:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

switched:ON and the state of comedy…

• Comments Off on switched:ON and the state of comedy…

switched:ON and the state of comedy…

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge switched:ON and the state of comedy…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

The one thing I don’t want to do here is pat ourselves on the back too much. I mean, we had our slow shows and whatnot, but I think all of us here have a reverence for the show we did, and I’m speaking to you not only as one of the hosts, but as a fan as well. I hope you can see through what is sure to be a hopeless rant into the void and see some truth staring at you in the face.

Comedy today sucks.

And I mean, really sucks. It has no balls. It has no real need to go to that invisible line and cross it from time to time. Comedy is supposed to be, at least in my eyes, a window to the truth. I’ve always thought as comedy as a gift that not many people are able to dish out, especially with those rare few that make you take a look at your own life and give you a bit of that truth to chew on through your tears of laughter. Sure, there are those that are just there to make you laugh at ridiculous stuff, and I’m not saying that it’s all got to be this funny view on life with a little moral truth thrown in, but damn, have some balls.

What brought this on? I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall tonight. What a boring, shitty fucking movie. I laughed exactly twice. Twice! This was supposed to be this really smart funny comedy, along the same lines as Knocked Up. Well, I fucking hated Knocked Up, too. And Superbad. Sorry to those that liked it, but what lines did they really cross? They’re the same jokes over and over.

And what the fuck is up with us having to stare at that guy’s schlong, not once, but TWICE in the movie? What purpose did it serve? Was it funny? The part at the beginning when he says “I’ve got something for you!” and he’s swinging it back and forth and you can hear it hitting his legs, that was funny. Seeing it was just unnecessary. I mean, fuck, dude, why? Totally unnecessary to see it over and over. At least with Walk Hard it was funny — John C. Reilly just totally isn’t fazed that some guy’s package was right next to his face. That was funny. Seeing this guy’s dick for no reason…just stupid.

I’m also going to go off on another of the so-called comedy staples — American Pie and the Harold and Kumar movies. What is the deal with this shit? Wow, dude fucked a pie and got caught. Ha ha. And they made like fourteen fucking sequels or some shit. Wow, these guys are high and they get in some hi-jinks. Wow. Let’s give them some money.

Now I know that some of you guys like some of these movies, and that’s fine. The question is this — do you guys honestly think that these movies are funnier than what we did with switched:ON?

Maybe I’m just spoiled now. Maybe I spent so much time over that line with Bryan and Jerry that seeing someone else run their toes along it just doesn’t cut it. Maybe it’s like skipping over the simulators and then prop planes, and jumping directly on the side of a rocket going Mach 12. I don’t know.

Or maybe I’m just an egotistical prick and I’m looking back with fondness. I hear that it’s a symptom of getting old — that the past somehow looks better the farther you get away from it. I mean, think about how many times we said the “F” word — I probably said the word “chicken” that many times. But I’d like to think that our humor evolved, and actually meant something.

So I’m going to throw this out to you, now. What do you think? Am I wrong? Don’t worry about trying to gloss over shit, if you disagree, then tell me. I can take it. I mean, shit, if I can take being called gay for a year and a half I think I can take a little constructive criticism.

thx_1227
    Participant

It’s funny that you started this thread, because I was actually thinking about starting one that has a lot to do with what you just posted.

Maybe I have been listening to too much SOS lately, but my idea of comedy has been totally refined/warped by you guys. I mean, before I could watch just about any comedian and think he or she was funny. Now…not so much. Same deal with the movies you just listed. Superbad=Supercrap. I might have laughed once during it. Then I throw on an SOS show that is about the same length depending on which one I choose, and I am laughing (or at least chuckling) throughout the whole thing. And this is through multiple listens too (I have probably listened to show 30 at least 20 times through). Now I don’t want to come off like I am a total suck-up, I am just being honest.

The thing about switched:on is that, while there is an abundance of “potty humor”, it is smart. Not only was the humor part of the show usually smart, but you guys had some deep freaking discussions. Take the racism tirade by Bryan in one of the early shows. To this day I have never heard anyone state it better. Or take show 108, where you guys talk about the current state of the government. The list goes on and on.

Alright, sorry I have veered off the course a bit, but I couldn’t help it. And to answer your main question, I have seen/heard very few things which I thought were funnier than the average SOS show.

John Day sucks.

rob
    Participant

Okay, I’m glad to see I’m not the only one.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I admit that I loved Superbad. I went expecting silly humor, and that’s what I got. But with Switched: On, you didn’t just get the comedy, you also got the personalities of the people. And now just their stage personalities, but their real personalities of who they are when they really let loose. It wasn’t just laughing at something, it was laughing with someone. You never knew what someone would say next, and whatever it was, it was often said.

Bucho
    Participant

I haven’t seen any of those Judd Apatow or Harold and Kumar films yet so I can’t get into that side of it. I found American Pie so dull I never watched the sequels.

But I don’t know if comparing SOS to blockbuster comedies is apples with apples. These scripts can’t touch the type of humour SOS deals because they’d get R-18ed and the studios won’t bankroll them. The huge majority of blockbuster films are utterly unchallenging no matter what the genre.

Are there no stand-up comedians that cross the line right now? I’m not in tune enough with the scene to know but I know you guys would often discuss comedians on the show and really it’s a better comparison between podcasts and stand-up. I guess I’d also ask, when has the state of movie comedy ever really pushed boundaries?

Another thing to consider is that one of the most popular comedy podcasts, Keith And The Girl (like it or don’t it doesn’t matter to my point), continually pushes some boundaries even more than SOS did, especially on such raw and dangerous topics like racism and religion. KATG doesn’t make me laugh as hard as SOS, and nor do I care as much about that show as I do about SOS, but I do enjoy it and I respect the hell out of Keith Malley’s balls for saying some of the shit he comes out with. There must be stand-up comedians that fly out there on rockets too, no?

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

El Rustirino
    Participant

Switched on made me give a shit.

Switched on made me laugh more than anything has ever made me laugh.

Switched on is part of my daily routine.

Switched on makes me feel like I’ve known Rob, Bryan, and Jerry for all their lives.

Switched on is not a comdey podcast.

Switched on is a journey into the minds, and mouths, of three of the funniest, most intelligent, and coolest people I will ever know.

Switched on is fucking awesome.

Thank you.

rob
    Participant

Wow…um, thanks, Rusty. That was…really nice.

El Rustirino
    Participant

;_______;

digitaltopia
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    Wow…um, thanks, Rusty. That was…really nice.

Or something.

El Rustirino
    Participant

;____________________;

Version3
    Keymaster

Back to the subject of the thread, I already know that our core posters on this site will agree with most of what you said Robby. I’m not so hard on the new “funny” movies as you were above, but I don’t expect much of them, and spend no money on seeing them. They make me laugh, but don’t deserve the attention that most of them are getting.

People suck. Unfortunately it’s very true, and the mainstream has to cater to the people that are in the suckage category to make any dollars.

Bucho
    Participant

In the last couple of weeks I saw Superbad and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. In Superbad I hated the McLovin character and the two main guys bored me but the two cops had me about rolling on the floor. I’m a sucker for the incompetent cop character like Chief Wiggum or Officer Barbrady or Reno 911 even if they’re doing pretty unimaginative stuff. Forgetting Sarah Marshall I loved Mila Kunis but it’s pretty underwhelming for the most part.

If Rob’s point was to compare the balls of these kinds of movies with the balls of SOS there’s no contest, and nor should there be because they’re much different media aiming for different targets. But in comedy in general if it’s pushing at the boundaries that’s the issue then there are people doing that and going further than SOS and it doesn’t make sense to use a few popular films to define “comedy today”.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

rob
    Participant

Well, all I was saying in my Mr. Wordy kind of way is that doing s:O has ruined comedies and most comedians in general. I’m not saying “pushing boundaries”, really.

Version3
    Keymaster

I never thought we pushed boundaries, I think that we ignored them for the most part. I actually hate edgy comedy, and most acts/shows that try to “push” the boundaries because it seems un-natural and feels like it’s not very genuine. It feels more like doing it for the sake of doing it, but hey, whatever gets an audience I guess. At least we were just being ourselves.

rob
    Participant

Yeah, we were definitely being ourselves, but that last year was turned up more, if that makes any sense. The laughs came more often and much more easily.

But yeah, it’s like — you see a movie like the Dark Knight, and it kinda makes the original Batman look like a joke (no pun intended).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.