:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Superman Returns At Last

• Comments Off on Superman Returns At Last

Superman Returns At Last

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Superman Returns At Last

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Jor-El
    Participant

Kick ass!. This movie completely rocked ALL the way through. I was like YES, YES, YES, every few minutes.

I like titties.

BSherrod
    Participant

They fucking changed it from midnight to 10:00 and I missed it. Don’t worry though, I’m catching the 12:00 show during my lunch.

Newman
    Participant

Wont you only get the first hour then?

Version3
    Keymaster

I knew about the 10PM showings pretty far in advance… I’m surprised I did not mention it here.

Octavious
    Participant

Awesome movie, just got home after seeing it.

BSherrod
    Participant

Not bad, not bad, Neubian. Even though Kale Boswort wasn’t old enough to have that kid and the pacing was a tad slow for me. It’ll probably grow on me like Batman Begins did. I had the same feeling afterwards for both movies, so thats a good sign. I might post a review later….

rob
    Participant

I don’t want to sound like a killjoy, but the drive home last night and the LONG drive home from work today let me examine the movie pretty well, and I figured out two things:

1. Brandon Routh is perfect as Superman

2. There was something wrong with the movie, but I couldn’t put my finger on what.

Then I read a review from Moriarty over at aintitcool.com, and he hit the nail right on the head. The movie’s really good, even great at times, but it felt too much like a homage and less like a really new movie.

I really hope that the sequel does for Superman what X2 did for the X-Men, because even though I really liked the first X-Men, there was just something wrong with it. X2 really was a vast improvement, simply because everything seemed more intense. I had a feeling like they were holding back a little with Superman Returns, and was slightly disturbed about that fact.

Overall, though, it’s a really great movie, and deserves to be seen in the theater. Bryan and Jerry, sorry I had to run out so fast, but I didn’t end up getting home until 2:15 and had to be up at 7. It sucked.

rob
    Participant

Wow, and then I read Roger Ebert’s review. I think that if I was a little older, I’d probably feel very similar. I’d give it three stars vs. Ebert’s two, but I sorta agree about what Ebert said about Spacey’s portrayal of Lex — he was mostly just mean. Not crazy like Hackman, but mean.

Version3
    Keymaster

I think that the homage stuff sticks out for 2 reasons… 1) the fan public all but demanded it. If too much was left out, or not enough respect had been paid, people would have slammed it every .20 seconds for months. But mainly 2) we were watching for them. Plain and simple. It’s like when you get a new car, suddenly you see 65 million of them on the road. Where were they before? Did everyone just rush out and get them because you did? No of course not, now you are aware of them, and subconsciously you are looking for them. So, because you knew the original movies and in some cases the comics and the original series, you were looking for signs, but conscious and subconsciously. My 13 year old has only seen Superman, and only seen it once. He missed all of the nods to the past and all of the references and I think he probably was able to enjoy the movie more as a result of that lack of distraction.

Now, on to my thoughts. First of all, it’s a larger than life hero movie, so it’s not likely to get perfect marks across the board for performances, particularly with this one, because it had so much ground to cover, so much impression to make on a viewing audience and such. Excuses out of the way, I thought it was about as perfect a Superman movie as anyone could have made. I don’t think Spacey was as good as Hackman… but I think that Spacey character is much more realistic of a ruthless businessman turned criminal. But with a larger than life movie about a guy from another planet that can fly, I suppose larger than life human characters could have worked just as well here too.

Kate was a waste of screentime, her age was very distracting and I just didn’t feel like she had much to offer the movie, but then I really didn’t care because I was watching a new fucking Superman movie! The obvious things were top notch in my book, effects, cinematography, foley and music. Fuck, what a great movie going experience. Made me want to stand around in a big city all afternoon waiting for the man in blue to fly by.

I completely loved it, didn’t expect so much from it and will happily be seeing it again.

BSherrod
    Participant

The whole time i was watching i felt like there was something wrong, I felt it, Rob felt it, and I’m sure others did too. I won’t say there wasn’t any substance, but there was a certain emptiness that I felt. It could be the character, because (no offense) Superman is pretty much what you see, is what you get. He is the quintessential golden age superhero. So when I see Superman taken in a different direction it’s very refreshing, this movie they didn’t do that. It did a great job of what it did: which was not pushing it too far and going the safe route.

Visually I was stunned, story-wise it dragged at parts. Kate Bosworth was way too young to have a kid even though they mom-ed her up a bit. The guy who plays Cyclops was a pretty good as her husband, but that triangle didn’t really pan out realisticly. Overall the movie was very good and this post was not, because when I type on the this forums I never actually plan it out.

rob
    Participant

Someone (Moriarty or Ebert) said that the fact that they did so much of a homage didn’t leave a whole lot of room for everyone to really let loose. I agree with that, for the most part.

Again, I really thought the movie was pretty good, but there were a few things for me that prevented it from being really great.

BSherrod
    Participant

Same here.

Octavious
    Participant

I concur.

BSherrod
    Participant

When some says concur do you think of that scene from Catch Me If You Can or is that just me?

rob
    Participant

I think of Crimson Tide.

“Bravo, Echo, Echo, Charlie, Alpha, Tango, Alpha.”

“Bravo, Echo, Echo, Charlie, Alpha, Tango, Alpha.”

“The message is authentic.”

“I concur, sir.”

“I concur, sir.”

“The message is authentic.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.