:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Star Wars Chatter

Star Wars Chatter

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Star Wars Chatter

This topic contains 297 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by rob rob 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 298 total)
  • Author
    Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

I haven’t felt like responding to this thread much, because I didn’t want to get in the middle of your make-out session. So, I’ll just catch up with a couple of quick responses…

Yoda movie… probably stupid. Yes, there are many things that COULD be done with this movie, and unfortunately most of them would serve to undo the character introduced in the original trilogy. Particularly when look first meets him. Fuck that idea. For me, he works better being a little 2 dimensional as the master, without previous motivations. It works very well as a guy who has to remain uber wise and the universes most awesome Force wielder. Show me a troubled or conflicted (young or not) Yoda, and I’ll show you a less acceptable Jedi Master in the previous films. This is meddling I hope they completely avoid.

Han Solo movie: most likely to succeed. Oh don’t get me wrong, most prequels are a terrible idea… terrible. Trying to make an interesting backstory without fucking up the other material, or cheesing it up with little obvious dumbed down nods to the original material always makes this stuff stink. If we could get a serious look at him developing into the serious ‘out for himself’ guy without any life lessons, or if we can get a young conflicted character that gets shoved into his alternative trade through a series of character hardening events WITHOUT getting anywhere near the timeline of the OT (other than a small Lando/Falcon bit that I think could work)… then maybe we could get a good movie out of this character. But that’s not what a Star Wars movie for another generation would like be… it would have to serve as a new entry point into the franchise instead of a fantastic stand-alone story, merely set in a well-established universe. Any treatment provided by Lucas as a jumping off point would ensure this is impossible since his lame attempts at a poetic approach to story telling demands all of these repetitions and so-called symmetry. I have trouble believing that this would be left entirely behind.

Boba Fett: Rob you are dumb. No seriously, this just tells me that you don’t get why I hate Fett so much… it’s because there is ZERO justification for the erection people have for him, and the prequels actually make it worse. A movie set to the side of the Empire, and our core characters could actually serve to justify him really being a bad ass; by telling a story where it starts out that we know who he is, and that he comes from so-called bad ass, then he spends the movie acting all bad-ass, then he ends the movie as a supreme bad-ass. Like if he gets eaten by something… fuck that, bad ass time, “Imma blow some shit up and escape, yo!” Basically this should lay some ground work for how tough bounty hunters in the SW universe have to be, and why he (unlike his ‘dad’) has a reputation for all of that bad ass-ness. I could handle an encounter with Solo, as long as it’s fleeting, and Solo basically being a big “fuck you” in the face of Fett’s skills. Gives him so more drive in Empire to catch him, and be the one that delivers him to Jabba. More importantly this entire movie could justify his place in the galaxy, and more importantly give some degree of credibility to the idea that his dad was so fucking awesome that a planet of cloners wanted to populate an entire galaxy with him, yet he was completely unknown as anything other than a dude with an accent and a mask. Boba Fett (and Jango) represent a big hole in that universe that could and should be filled with a good story. I think it’s go the most potential, and should represent the best chance at a stand-alone movie. –But I refuse to believe that it won’t be without too much tie-in either.

A Vader movie? Fuck that. Let’s just get Adam Levine to sing an entire soundtrack while we are at it. Vader gets the arc in the first 6 movies, I really don’t think we need to work that character to the point that all audiences are sick of him. I love Vader, but I still don’t want to see him anymore at all. Any movie featuring more Vader would just feel like fanboy junk to me. On top of that, what kind of character arc can you provide with a guy at the center that is just on a flat line to an end point in a movie you’ve already seen? In the OT it works because he becomes the focus of the trilogy, but he’s not the focus of our movie, so we aren’t following his journey. In a spin-off movie it’s almost like a documentary at that point… see him be all bad ass and take nothing from it… fun, possibly. Good movie, not a chance. ( I see now that Bucho made several points, but I already typed all of this shit so FUCK YOU).

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

Obi-wan… absolutely. Solidified with the prequels for me. I always saw Luke as a little bitch, even as a kid he felt more like a peer than a guy to look up to. Solo was cool, but he seemed like the cool uncle kinda guy when I was growing up. The guy I’d want to know and have on my side, but not the guy I’d want to be. And also, vests always reminded me of the Village People… so fuck that too.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I will say that I probably jumped the gun with the Fett stuff, Bryan. I think part of the reason that Fett has been so popular over the years is because of the mystery and because Han seems a bit scared in Jedi when he says “Boba Fett?!” My statement was that you had previously mentioned your confusion at the fanboy love, and I jumped the gun by saying that you were probably totally opposed to it. I don’t think I’m dumb, just a little misguided when I wrote it.

Ewan McGregor was on Kimmel the other night, and actually perked up when Kimmel asked if he had any contact with anyone about reprising his role. Don’t know if you remember, but I think Ewan was a bit tired of all the Star Wars stuff, as he had previously not shown very much excitement about the role. As he’s gotten older, he’s probably come to grips with the fact that it’s probably the role he’ll be remembered for, and he’s come around. It makes me excited to see what they might do – there’s a lot of time between III and IV that Ben’s just hanging out. There could be some adventures there, like maybe someone finds him there and is going to report to Vader and Ben’s got to take him out before he reports back. We could see him chatting it up with Qui-Gon, or righting wrongs in the area. Who knows?

I was reading the Ain’t It Cool talkback and they were talking about the Clone Wars cartoon. I had stopped watching in the middle of the 4th season, and decided yesterday to get caught up. Watching these makes me love Obi-Wan more and gets me really excited at the possibilities of new movies.

The only problem with stand-alone movies in my opinion is something you touched on, Bryan – there’s got to be an arc for the character to go through. What arc could Yoda possibly go through? Or Fett? What might be interesting for a Solo movie is that he’s a little too trusting at the beginning, like maybe an idealist. Things go wrong, and he comes out of it with the idea that he’s got to look after himself and not trust anybody, and that would lead him right into IV.

I agree that Vader’s probably not the best idea. What would yo do for that? The one thing that always intrigued me about IV is when Ben is saying “He helped to hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights.” I’ve said it before, but I really thought we’d see him turn into Vader in II, and III would be all about the hunting down of the rest of the Jedi, and it would end with the fight with Obi-Wan and the mutilation of his body. Maybe there’s not enough “arc” there for that to have been the way it played out, but the two things I was most interested in seeing from Ben’s backstory breakdown in IV were the Clone Wars and the Jedi purge and destruction.

The other bit of news we haven’t talked about was the fact that Lawrence Kasdan is involved in the writing of the screenplays. He did the screenplays for Empire and Jedi, so that excites me a lot and gives me a lot of hope that these are gonna be bad-ass.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

Of course you aren’t dumb… that’s why I said it, dumbass. Oh crap, there I got again.

You know I love your huge smart skull man, it just fit there when I was doing the typings.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Oh, I was laughing when I read it.

And Clone Wars is pretty damn cool.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I always figured the Boba Fettishization (I just made that up right now in my brain) just came from the fact his helmet design is cool as fuck and he has a jet-pack.

I never shared the Fett-love though, he went out like such a bitch in Jedi it was almost a joke. Killed because a blind guy bumped into him. Yeah Boba, you were a real badass.

@rob 50290 wrote:

I was reading the Ain’t It Cool talkback …

On purpose Rob? Why, did you have a stroke or something?

You were right to remind me I’ve been lax in catching up with the Clone Wars though. But why had you stopped watching? You never mentioned it in any of your solo episodes.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Jor-El
    Jor-El
    Participant

I am sure I am way off from most people. However, I want to see something completely new and different. If the first set of movies were about the Skywalker family and bringing balance to the force, I think the next generation should be something else. I don’t want to see the old characters return. I’m fearing Indiana Jones IV all over again. I’m also afraid of a bunch of cameos.

Maybe it is necessary for some of that if the sequels continue on from the events in ROTJ. If they do continue on from ROTJ I think they are going to have to be super slick to pull it off or I’m worried its going to end up being Star Wars Episode VII Chillin’ at the Wrinkle Palace.

But why do I fool myself? It is Episode VII so it will continue on from previous events. I just hope not too closely.

I can say that whatever happens, I am stoked that there will be more Star Wars movies no matter what.

OK the stand alone movie ideas:
    Scum and Villainy (The criminals of the SW universe)
    Mercenaries (The bounty hunters)
    Troops (Not a spoof but some real action – Not clones either, but the willingly and unwillingly recruited Stormtroopers)
    Star Wars – “to be or 2-1B” (How this sultry surgeon became so damn sexy and most admired in the SW universe).

I like titties.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Word on the street is that at a recent press conference for the new Star Trek JJ said JW will be scoring the new movies and not Giacchino.

@jor-el 50442 wrote:

Troops (Not a spoof but some real action – Not clones either, but the willingly and unwillingly recruited Stormtroopers)

Ori will be first in line at that audition.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Since filming started the other day, it’s time to bring this thread back for some long-needed geeky SW talk.

I’ve loved seeing all of the stuff coming out – the picture of the cast in a circle got me excited, in a strange reserved “wow, there they are” kinda way. Loved seeing “let’s do something great” in JJ’s note to the cast and crew. With all of the shit happening right now, it’s just fun.

I know that we’re weary to be too excited because of the prequels, and how some of us feel really burned by them, but think back to 1997, and how excited we all were, because all we had were small pictures to get us going. That time really was a lot of fun, and I’m looking forward to feeling that way again, and for me, it really has already started. I just remember that first trailer, and how it took HOURS to download, and how excited I was for each frame to download. We had no idea where this was headed, and we had our own imaginations lead us in all of these directions as to where it was going, and it was FUN.

So, I say, let’s leave the cynicism at the door, at least for now. This is the fun part.

There was a really good article on Ain’t It Cool about the Clone Wars the other day. I say that it’s a worthwhile distraction while we wait for more VII shit to be released, and it may just make you appreciate the prequels a bit.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67362

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I know it’s not cool to be buzzed about this – and I get all the arguments for why it could end up as yet another disappointment – but I can’t help being excited. I really hope it ends up being less of a sausage fest than it seems so far though. I know the PC outrage can get wearying at times, but in this case I agree. If there’s one thing SW could take from Firefly, it’s to not have The Universe seem so weirdly man-heavy.

Funny you mention Clone Wars too, I finally got that off my brother recently so I’m fiiiiiiinally going to watch a bunch of it.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

I read that article in the link, and even though I always say I’m going to go back and watch this series (since I hated the movie), this is the first time I feel like I have to. I think he waits to long to explain that it makes the prequels better as a SW fan (rather than trying to argue that it actually makes the movies better; the case that it looks like he’s arguing for several paragraphs), but I did like the place he gave them in the SW universe.

So, I’ll start them very soon. I’ve run out of DC universe and Marvel universe things to watch anyway.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Funny you mention Clone Wars too, I finally got that off my brother recently so I’m fiiiiiiinally going to watch a bunch of it.

Darn it, I just found out I grabbed the original Tartakovsky 2003 Clone Wars off him, not the 3D animated one. I still watched a bunch of the Tartakovsky one again though, that stuff is fun just for a bunch of the visual and sound design.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

NEAT!

rob
    rob
    Participant

They really are a lot of fun, so hopefully I won’t get figuratively firebombed for once again suggesting them.

I also enjoyed the Tartakovsky series, as short lived as it was, and had a hard time getting into the newer series because I liked it so much.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Looks like Gareth Edwards will direct the spin-off between VII and VIII. I haven’t seen Monsters yet but I’m seeing Godzilla this weekend, and after that I will judge the shit out of him.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 298 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.