:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Star Wars Chatter

Star Wars Chatter

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Star Wars Chatter

This topic contains 286 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Octavious Octavious 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 287 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

It’s kinda funny, but I never noticed all of the lens flares until you brought it up. Now I can’t see anything else.

And is it wrong that I thought that a lot of that looked pretty cool?

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

HA! I like it too. But then lens flares still make me think “Spielberg” more than “JJ”, which is probably where JJ’s inspiration for them came from, and I heartily support that. That trailer actually looks kind of Alien-era Ridley Scottish too.

Although the shot at 0:26 did crack me up. Amongst a bunch of superdramatic action scenes there’s one of “some dude” clumsily getting up off the ground with a dangly thing swinging off of his belt. As if he’s just fallen INTO THE WORLD!

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

ori-STUDFARM
    ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Everyone goes on about the lens flare, but do you know how many films he actually went lens flare mad on? Star Trek and Super 8….and I think that’s it. (But there may be another one or two)

For me it was maybe overdone a little on Star Trek. But I must admit, until it was pointed out, I didn’t really notice and it still didn’t bother me once it was. I can’t understand why he has been tarnished as a lens flare nut… (Or a L.F.N. for those of us in the know)

If lens flare is the only thing people seem to be wary of about JJ’s Star Wars position, then then that can only be a good thing right….

Right?…..Please tell me Star wars in gonna be good again….

BIG JOBBIES

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

I think the point to my posting that was that people do tend to just boil his style down to lens flares… and obviously that didn’t make Star Wars look any different. Most of the scenes that were chosen for this “fan edit” look different because they are out the context you typically see them in, not because shots that emulate anyone’s style were chosen. Those shots look good, because they already looked good.

I’m just looking forward to a Star Wars that features modern pacing (not just editing)… that would have even done wonders for the prequels. It wouldn’t have fixed them, but it would have improved them.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I wonder if John Williams comes back or JJ’s boy Giacchino steps in. It seems sacrilege to suggest anyone other than JW score the film but Giacchino’s really damn good, particularly at taking existing themes and bringing new ideas to them. The Star Trek 09 score was my favourite of that year.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I think JW is pretty much done. He’s in his 80’s now.

ori-STUDFARM
    ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I only really have one concern regarding Abrams being in charge. And it’s not necessarily a big problem…

I don’t think he did as great a job with the first Star Trek movie as people give him credit for. I think he recreated well known and loved characters fantastically well. Wary fans could breathe a sigh of relief…and then overlook the fact that the story is actually a little thin. The villain is a bit non-consequential…..

Visually, it looked stunning. The already known characters were great. Everything else was just okay. I’m hoping Star Wars works out a bit better. Especially in the villain arena…One thing Star wars has always had is great villains.

BIG JOBBIES

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

@ori-studfarm 50238 wrote:

…One thing Star wars used to have is great villains.

Fixed that for you.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Word on the street is that in Kurtzman and Orci’s original script Nero was actually a more fleshed-out character with a more compelling, coherent arc and motivations but they cut those scenes to try to keep the pacing crisp and bring the run time down, which is why JJ gets blamed more than the writers for the story not really gelling like it should.

rob
    rob
    Participant

That’s the weird thing, though – did we really need more with Nero? Maybe it’s because I’m not a huge Trek fan, but I thought that any more would have been overkill.

Do the haters not like the fact that Spock puts Kirk on a planet that just happens to have Old Spock and Scotty on it? I’m not trying to instigate, but doesn’t every story have convenient things like that? I don’t really see how they could have done it differently and have it be nearly as good.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

It’s weird how, as movie fans, people complain about those kinds of convenient circumstances in movies, yet constantly in life you can hear people say “good thing I was totally in a different place than I absolutely always am”, or “good thing I had this silly tool/device/contraption with me to help us get this problem solved” or “good thing that goat is still licking my balls” as part of every day life? Coincindences happen, and luck occurs and for whatever reason you have a tool that lets you do a job, you run into the one person in the world you haven’t seen in ages just when you need a fat midget bagpipe player, and whadduya know… their roomate is such a midget. We accept this stuff in real life, but it’s annoying and out of place in a 100 minutes of story-telling. People are made of dumb.

rob
    rob
    Participant

That’s why I like it in No Country when Javier Bardem gets smacked – it just comes out of nowhere, and that movie seems to be made of coincidence.

I just think that if there’s something about a movie that is bothersome, one should at least try to present a solution while bitching about it. So many of the Internet fucks complain about shit or insult somebody or whatever, but then when they’re confronted, they back down, because they really don’t seem to really have put any reason into their decision.

I might bitch about shit, but when I do, I definitely have a reason, and I definitely have a solution.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

@rob 50249 wrote:

That’s the weird thing, though – did we really need more with Nero? Maybe it’s because I’m not a huge Trek fan, but I thought that any more would have been overkill.

Not “more” per se, but “more fleshed-out”. The best writers and filmmakers can give you a fleshed-out character in a single scene. There’s an art to character introductions which means you don’t need 90 minutes to find a character compelling. It seems like the writers of Star Trek felt like they had more time to flesh him out so they used it and spread the character over a number of scenes. Too late they and JJ found out they really had fewer scenes. If they’d known that from the beginning maybe they could have delivered the character more efficiently, but they didn’t. I don’t know whose fault that is but the word is that there is information about Nero that makes that character make much more sense in the script and it was cut out of the film. Had the writers known from the get-go that scene would be cut they would have re-written another scene to include that information and let that character develop more fully.

I’m more of a JJ fan than a Kurtzman and Orci fan but I find it unfair to blame the half-assedness of Nero on the writers when he was apparently more assed in the script they delivered. To be fair also, this is just hearsay on my part. I’m going by what I’ve read (from fairly reliable sources mind you) but I’ve never read that script myself. The bottom line is that

rob
    rob
    Participant

Ooh, a cliffhanger!

Well, there may have been more on the page, and more on the cutting room floor. The older I get, the more I see the beauty of never releasing deleted scenes and commentary and the like – like what Spielberg does. The reason is right here – I think if you didn’t know there was more about Nero, you wouldn’t miss it. And another thing about the older me – I have stopped seeing what I didn’t get. Like Watchmen – there are things I don’t like about the movie. But I know it will probably be the only chance of it being made. It’s the best it could be, I think. Why should I worry about what didn’t make it into the movie? It will never change.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I meant to say the bottom line is that I love boobs.

Also that I love you but your arguments also seem identical to the ones some people made defending Transformers PLEASE DON’T HIT ME!!!

@rob 50254 wrote:

I think if you didn’t know there was more about Nero, you wouldn’t miss it.

You got this bass ackwards Robby, it was missed from the beginning. The reason the script/screen inconsistency came to light was that a ton of people, me included, watched the film and felt like Nero’s story was so half-baked it feels almost like a plothole. That then lead to peeps calling out Kurtzman and Orci, who were already considered substandard writers by many because of Eagle Eye and Transformers, for hackitude. That lead to other peeps defending Kurtzman and Orci by pointing out it wasn’t they who’d short-changed Nero and that his character made much more sense in their script. I only found out about it because I had defended JJ and blamed those writers myself.

And when I say “found out about it” I mean “was informed of it but never actually checked if it was true because I’m too lazy to.”

And to be clear, I still like JJ’s Star Trek. It just so happens that I also see a couple of pretty fundamental flaws in it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 287 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.