:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Star Wars Chatter

Star Wars Chatter

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Star Wars Chatter

This topic contains 278 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 279 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

The thing that I’m happy to see is that Alden looks right at home talking to Chewie.  I’m excited for it, and I think it’ll be a good bit of fun.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, I agree with everyone saying  Ehrenreich doesn’t feel very Han-ish but I’m still amped for it. Looks fun as heck.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Ben
    Ben
    Participant

I was looking for a copy of A New Hope to watch at work on my downtime.

And…I found….this……

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_a9UpiDv5nVZ1RaY3dKVm0zM1E/view?usp=sharing

Some of it is funny, seems like a couple guys did a complete voiceover. Would be hilarious if the SoS crew did this one too. C3PO sounds like a gay southerner, makes it worthwhile

Octavious
    Octavious
    Participant

Hey guys what do you think about the announcement at E3 about Battlefront 2 and the new content and EA admitting to there mistakes?

rob
    rob
    Participant

Sorry for seeming like I didn’t answer this, but I talked about it on my last mini-show.  Interesting stuff.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Apology accepted Robby.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Have you guys read this?

The Beautiful, Ugly, and Possessive Hearts of Star Wars

Really digs into a lot of what Rob often talks about in terms of audience reaction I think.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Of course, you know I’m all about these discussions, especially when they’re level-headed, so I’m gonna read it! I’m sure I might have something to say about it on the next mini show…

rob
    rob
    Participant

Ok, holy shit, it’s almost like I wrote that, only take all of my random ramblings and make it into one coherent splash of truth! He even talked about the Vader scene in Rogue One, almost saying verbatim what I said! Sort of an amazing piece…makes me want to seek out some of his other writings.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I always feel like he could use an editor to shape his articles into something more concise and precise (it’s ironic that one of his key points is indulgence when he’s one of the most indulgent pop-culture writers around) but once you dig though the waffle you can often find he has a strong insight or three.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Bucho Bucho.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Bucho Bucho.

Octavious
    Octavious
    Participant

That’s a great article.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I’ve seen Solo twice and liked it a whole bunch. The only stuff I didn’t dig was Bettany and Maul. I don’t like Bettany as Vision either to be fair, so maybe it’s just a casting thing. I do like him in other stuff, like Master and Commander, just apparently not in fantastical malarkey.

But yeah, I liked it so much I wish there was a Han/Chewie/Qi’ra/Lando trilogy with these guys.

rob
    rob
    Participant

You’ll have to expand on Bettany.  I get not liking that Maul is there, and alive -and stuff.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I just find him unconvincing when he does both Vision and Vos. I’m just watching Paul Bettany doing a performance rather than watching the characters being.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I haven’t heard Kevin Smith’s thing about Solo that you mentioned in your July 9 episode Robby but I wouldn’t be surprised if part of the reason it didn’t do as well as any of the other films in spite of being about a fan favourite (or three) is that the whole Star Wars deal has gotten much darker than folks remember it being, and that’s contributed to a fatigue which hasn’t afflicted the lighter, breezier current Kings of Cinema, Marvel, even though they spit out 3 films a year (sometimes 3 per 6 months).

Kev’s thing about it being too soon after the The Last Jedi shouldn’t be a big deal in and of itself given what Marvel have accomplished at an even greater rate, but then Marvel waited 19 movies to get anywhere near as dark as modern day Star Wars has been, building a long run of good feels before Infinity War pulled the rug, and given how clearly it set up its own Get Out Of Jail Free cards even Infinity War doesn’t feel as dark as the any of the new Star Wars films.

Consider that:

• The Last Jedi really drove home its theme of failure and arguably leaned harder on that aspect than the redemption which would usually balance out the failure. Luke dies in a beautiful scene, but really only sacrifices himself to buy the devastated remnants of the Rebels more time to escape. Maybe in a film which didn’t also feature something as incredibly badass as The Holdo Maneuver it’d feel like a more monumental sacrifice, but given that we’ve just seen Holdo be awesomely heroic in not only protecting the Rebels from enemy fire but obliterating hundreds, if not thousands, of space nazis, and that Luke had spent yeeeeeeears as a useless bum, what he accomplishes at the end doesn’t feel like enough of a redemption to many. And to be clear, I love pretty much everything with Luke in The Last Jedi, from the seamonstermilky beard to the “See you round kid”, but it’s not unreasonable for others to have come away from it feeling really bummed out for what Luke’s been through – and perhaps even more to the point, what his mistake has put the galaxy through in the shape of Kylo Ren.
    • Rogue One ends with every single one of its merry band of heroes dead. Every. Single. One. Can you think of another popcorn blockbuster which has done that? I can’t. YOUR MOVE MARVEL.
    • Even the “delight”-laden sugar rush of The Force Awakens has, right in the heart of it, the brutally horrifying death of one the Big Three failed OT heroes. Has any other popcorn action blockbuster ever featured a failed hero having a bladed weapon being driven through his guts by his own son? I can’t think of a darker moment in blockbuster cinema history than the death of Han Solo. So, given that we know how horribly sad it ends for Han, is it really a surprise that many weren’t chomping at the bit to see a rollicking adventure of his happier times? “Yeah, sure buddy, you’re grinning winningly right now but, hooooooo boy, wait till you see what The Galaxy has in store for you down the road!” Add that’s on top of the fact that it’s The Force Awakens that introduced the notion that the Big Three of the OT had become failures, unleashing a terror of their own making on the galaxy in the process, and I argue you’ve got a film which, beneath it’s plucky surface, is actually significantly darker than everybody’s go-to for Star Wars darkness, The Empire Strikes Back.

And again, to be clear, I’m down with almost all of this. This ain’t about me. I wasn’t one of those who avoided Solo. I saw it twice! And really liked it both times! What I’m getting at is a reason for many folks apparently starting to turn their backs on the GOAT cinema saga even while their stablemates Marvel flourish and flourish and flourish.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 279 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.