:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Star Wars Chatter

Star Wars Chatter

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Star Wars Chatter

This topic contains 295 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 296 total)
  • Author
    Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Holy bantha shit you guys.

Now Disney owns Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I just got off a conference call with Bryan and Jerry about this very thing. News of the year? I think so.

Imagine the possibilities – since ABC is owned by Disney, we could see TV shows. We could see a Pixar-themed Star Wars movie. Mind has officially been blown.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, I’d say especially if Disney/Marvel’s S.H.E.I.L.D show is a hit there’s a good chance a Star Wars live action TV show gets the green light.

This must also affect the future of Indy to some extent.

And Howard The Duck.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

What about this Zach Snyder news? I know I’ve been unkind about him in the past but one thing he does seem to be good at is being faithful to source material and since the source material for this is an actual film (as opposed to an “unfilmable” comic book) there’s a chance it could be spectacular, right?

rob
    rob
    Participant

I thought that if it was anything at all, it’d be like a one-off movie, and not in the continuity…? I’m actually confused about the whole thing.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

He’s not doing it.

rob
    rob
    Participant

So, the latest news is JJ Abrams. I’d be okay with that.

Damon Lindelof said that when he was first starting out, he’d wear his Bantha Tracks t-shirt for luck (BT was the name of the newsletter in the days of the original Star Wars fan club). He was wearing it when he met JJ Abrams the first time, and JJ yelled out “Bantha Tracks!!”, and they bonded really quickly. I just think that if JJ is actually doing it, we know that he’s a huge fan, and I think that’s important.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I’ve said in the past I didn’t think JJ would be right for it because he has too much of a distinct non-SW-esque visual style but if he can get together an ensemble cast with as much magic as Star Trek and a coherent story to work with I’m sure he can turn out a very fun installment in the saga. For as much flack as he catches I think he’s one of the better directors around when it comes to casting and getting solid to great performances from his actors. And I don’t even mind his lens flares.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I never really thought of SW as having a distinct visual style. Throw in wipes in between scenes and you just about got it.

I really don’t understand the geek hate that he gets. Super 8 was visually arresting, and Star Trek was just fantastic. I mean, was Star Trek not geek-dense enough? What exactly is wrong with it? Nobody seems to have a point. I think he’s a great no-nonsense director. And besides, it’s not like SW and ST are exactly true sci-fi, at least when it comes to my definition. SW in particular is more of just a fantasy in a sci-fi setting, no?

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, the point I was sloppily failing to make is that Star Wars is distinctive in design but is shot and edited in a fairly standard (and easy for a pro to mimic) way for action/fantasy films of the time whereas JJ is one of those directors (like Wes Anderson, Paul Greengrass, Tarantino etc) who’s stamped out a distinctive style of his own which stands apart from that standard way of presenting things. His detractors would disagree that he’s no-nonsense on the basis of the lens flares alone, which I like but they loudly claim are complete nonsense. So we either get Star Wars presented JJ-style, in which case it won’t feel continuous with the others, which was my reservation, or he reels himself in and shoots a film which looks like Star Wars, which he’s more than capable of doing. And I like his style anyway so even if he does it his way I won’t be crying about it. Or if I do it’ll be sobbing quietly into my ewok pillowcase and not throwing a tanty on The Websites.

As for the geek hate I think part of it is to do with the mystery-based marketing that surrounds a lot of his work. There are a lot of cynical nerds out there and they hate to feel consciously manipulated by stuff like that. I find that kind of forced mystery pretty cutesy and tiresome myself but I do like that he tries to keep things secret in this age when it’s really hard for filmmakers to keep things secret. I think his heart’s in the right place.

Then he catches a lot of flack for the way Lost developed from season 3 onward and for Star Trek not being a real Star Trek story. I get the first one but I’m not enough of a Trekkie to really get the complaints about the second. Nero’s story did come across as half-assedly written and the ice moon scenes were fairly ludicrous in terms of blatant and ham-fisted coincidentality* (and crappy monster design) but I still think that movie is a ton of fun. I do know Trekkies who like it a lot too, but I also know some who really hated how un-Treklike it was.

* Yes, that’s a real word. In my world.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I’m not too worried about the style too much. If you look at Empire and Jedi, neither have a distinctive style, either, but this is a new era. I don’t think that JJ will attempt to interject a lot of that into this. Look at Super 8, for example. It really felt like a Spielberg movie in my opinion. I think he will take those cues into SW as well.

I think the geeks need to remember that every marketing move and scene is not meant just for them. I think it’s brilliant what they’ve done in the past for the JJ-helmed movies. Sure, they get the geeks all riled up, but when you’re getting the attention of the regular folk, then you’re doing the job right. There’s only so much that geek love can take you – to have a successful movie, you need to branch out to have a larger range of people watching your movie.

With Lost, how much can that be attributed to him? He helped come up with the original story, but if you really want to go off on the story that came in Season 3 and beyond, you should point at Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse (and I’ve already pointed out that as far as Lost goes, no matter how much i may dislike where they went during the last season, I was given many hours of the best character-driven stories ever seen on TV). And as far as Star Trek goes, well, I think the previous paragraph explains a lot. And, for the regular folk, spending more and more time on exposition that doesn’t really propel the story forward when it comes to the pov of the story’s main characters – well, that’s just lean storytelling.

So basically, if you’re disappointed by this news, you’re wrong. At least, let’s wait until we see the movie before we get our lace edible panties in a wad.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Don’t shoot me Robby, I’m just the messenger. At this point I’d have no problem if it’s JJ even if he does decide to soak the thing in so much lens flare it looks like a Bulgarian art movie.

rob
    rob
    Participant

It’s not that, it’s just I hate it when people have opinions that seem to be based on non-facts that have been proliferated by a bunch of no-talent fuckheads who have no experience creating anything. Again, the Internet is a breeding ground of stupidity, and because of our collective attention deficit disorder, the only things that tend to stand out are the loud wannabe dumbasses.

JJ Abrams has done good work. Damon Lindelof too. So get off their case, Internet!

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

If anyone can defeat The Internet it’s you Robby.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

But a JJ Abrams Star Wars is made up completely of lens flares and dramatic sounds… right?

Nice to see that other people use VideoCopilot.net for all of their “effects seen everywhere” needs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 296 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.