:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Speed Racer trailer

• Comments Off on Speed Racer trailer

Speed Racer trailer

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Speed Racer trailer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

The trailer:

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/12/06/first-look-speed-racer-trailer/

Now, here’s my take on this. I didn’t really watch this cartoon as a kid, so I don’t really get the nostalgia kick that a lot of folks do about the movie. I’ve seen a hell of a lot of parodies, though. And yes, I know that “the guys who brought you the Matrix trilogy” made this movie, but …

What the fuck is up with the movie? I looks like it’s something out of Jim Carrey’s version of The Grinch. It’s part live action, part video game. All of the courses and tracks look like something you’d find out of a pinball game. So many people (either via me reading about it, talking with others about it, etc.) are dying for this movie to come out.

Can someone here explain to me why this movie is going to be worth my $10 to go see it? Why should I spend $10 to see John Goodman looking like Super Mario? Ten bucks to see a fat kid and a monkey?

Version3
    Keymaster

I did watch it, and was generally annoyed with everything but the car when I was a kid. I wish they’d made it more realistic, instead of making a world where the cartoon works. I’ll probably see it, but nobody is getting $10 from me to do it.

digitaltopia
    Participant

It’s-a me! Mario! I was never interested in this as a kid either. I’d always switch the channel to something else. I’ve never been much for racing movies anyhow. Now replace the cars with giant fighting mechs, more like Robotech style than Transformers style, and I’d be there. And making the racing scenes look like a video game will make it that much easier for them to make a video game out of the movie, because they can make it look just like the movie.

rob
    Participant

The one thing that I was interested in was the technique they used to shoot — making everything so flat, with no depth, to make it look like a 2-d cartoon. You can only see it in one shot when everyone’s sitting at a table.

I never really liked Speed Racer, honestly.

Version3
    Keymaster

Making a movie for the sake of process always making a hype movie that doesn’t really last. Dick Tracy (don’t even say you like that shit), Sky Captain (you can try to say you like it, but when’s the last time you talked about it with any enthusiasm at all)… shit like that. In the end, they make stuff that people talk about until they hit the period at the end of the sentence, then they forget about it. But, the industry is setup to make money before art, so what should I really expect anyway, right?

rob
    Participant

I actually kinda liked Dick Tracy. I never owned it or anything — I’d say 2 1/2 stars. But Sky Captain — you can say what you want about it — gloss over story, I would agree — but that style helped usher in a new wave of stuff, like Sin City and 300. Stylized and shit, you know?

El Rustirino
    Participant

Okay. Sky Captain sucks. But it’s amazing at the same time. It was innovative and new. It was extremely well done in a technical sense. It’s nice to look at.

Version3 wrote:
    I did watch it, and was generally annoyed with everything but the car when I was a kid. I wish they’d made it more realistic, instead of making a world where the cartoon works. I’ll probably see it, but nobody is getting $10 from me to do it.

Are you talking about the old show, or the new movie? If you’re talking about the movie, I agree.

I watched the cartoon a lot when I was really young, and I loved it. But everything they’ve done with Speed after that, they’ve made it all futuristic and shit. That is totally the wrong way to go.

The Mach 5 was special because it was a freakin’ advanced car, that could do stuff the other cars couldn’t. So why in the hell would you make every other car able to do the crap it did? That kind of totally ruins the point of the car, and the car was the driving point of the show.

Most of the sets are too flashy and bright, and they don’t fit well. What’s with the fuckin’ house looking like it came out of a Dr. Seuss Hollywood edition when the tracks looks like, I think someone in the thread said this, a pinball machine? No flow, and they just look bad.

I’ll probably see it because I like Speed Racer, but that’s probably going to be the only high for me.

Octavious
    Participant

Never watched the cartoon, I might see it, when it goes to video. But part live action and part cartoonish.

Bing
    Participant

On a dial-up…didn’t watch the link so based on the posts so far……

Frank is gay and Speed Racer sucks boiled dog wiener

did I miss anything?

digitaltopia
    Participant

That pretty much sums it up.

Frank
    Participant

Wait? When did I become gay? Sure, I might have been a little curious in college, but only with you, Bing. Only with you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.