:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

SOS Push Notifications for Safari

SOS Push Notifications for Safari

Latest Replies Forums Announcements SOS Push Notifications for Safari

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

I installed a plugin that should do push notifications to Safari on Mavericks (maybe it’s just Safari 7 on all???) and I’m working on enabling this for iOS as well. I’m not sure if it will support updates to the forums or not (I think ‘not’) but I’m looking to enable this too. Feel free to “play” with this feature by visiting the home page of the site, if you are haven’t see the request already. It will at least notify when I add shows or other silly shit.

Also, they are working on Chrome and Firefox push, so it should improve.

Let me know whatcha think..

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

iOS support

So, if you get this weird “Roost” request, you can safely install this app. It works with mobile Safari to do notifications. I’ve not tested it very thoroughly, I’m basically just playing with it. If you opt in to any of this stuff, let me know how well it works. .

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

Rob, Bucho… have either of you tried this? Does it work at all?

It hasn’t worked for me yet, but I also wonder if that is because I’m authoring the topics. If it DOES work, then Bucho once you have this feature running, you likely will not miss a show release for a few days again. πŸ™‚

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

To be honest when you posted this a couple weeks ago I stopped reading when I got to “Safari”, although I was tempted to read on when I noticed in my peripheral vision that the word “Mavericks” was coming up, because like all human beings I love Top Gun. But then I decided I’d done enough reading for the day and went to watch Taylor Swift videos because she’s my favourite. Completely unrelated to that, I haven’t listened to SOS-179 yet so I hope there’s no Taylor Swift hate in that show or The Moment I Knew there was Mean stuff about my beloved Taylor Swift there would be Teardrops On My Guitar, especially if You’re Not Sorry, and Mary’s Song (Oh My My) If This Was A Movie 22 Ronan Today Was A Fairytale.

But even though I’m sure we both agree that Taylor is literally the best I do sleep with the enemy in that both my desktop computing unit and my portable top-of-lap computing device are Windows machines and my telephonic device is Androidical in nature, so when you say it also works on Chrome and The Fox Made of Fire do you still mean only on Apple things or do you also mean on Enemy things?

Also, what is a “push” notification and how is it different from my normal notifications? Or have my normal notifications actually been “push” notifications all this time but I never realised because I haven’t received a notification to notify me of this?

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Jor-El
    Jor-El
    Participant

I just accepted. Will see if it works.

I like titties.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I got the Roost request on my phone a couple of days ago and clicked to install, it took me to the Play store, but when I hit install it kept taking me back to the request message instead of the usual T&C screen. Never had anything from the Play store do that before. Maybe Roost’s a new thing in its Android form and still buggy?

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

It’s got a bunch of bad reviews on the Google store, and is 50/50 between 5 star and 1 star, think I’m going to steer clear of this one. Either that or get an iPhone.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

It sucks on iPhone. They just don’t have their mobile solution worked out. Apple is rumored to support push on mobile Safari soon, so I’ll just look for that (as a user).

I don’t think this thing is really doing much unless I really publish an article or something, but it’s there so I’ll just let it update and see where they take it. I had an email exchange with one of the developers on their team, and got some insight into where they are trying to focus support. It may get better in the near future. It may just be destined to be deleted.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

Not to straight up defend their app (but I’m kinda gonna anyway I guess), it looks like if you sort those reviews by “recent” that there are a lot of positive reviews for it. The users that report it not working or being broken appear to not be using it correctly… so maybe it’s not so bad?

But I revived this thread for a different reason… Beta testing. I’ve been talking with the guys over at Roost, and they have asked if I’d be interested in testing the next release. Specifically, because it would be more applicable to us, as it’s all about getting updates when we post in these threads, rather than just new articles. I’m definitely in, and I hope I can talk Jerry and/or Rob into it. But Bucho, as the only other guy on here very often… I just gotta convert ya!

Besides, don’t you want a push alert to tell you when Rob finally feels up to posting solos again? Or when I start releasing my ramblings of the jillion cars I’ve had?

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

So, supposedly this has been updated to include bbpress updates (that means our forums), and if you “subscribe to push notification” to updates (there is a link at the top of each conversation/thread/topic and a checkbox at the bottom of the edit window to notify you) then you should get a push notification to Safari, or your iOS device if you have either (or both) setup.

Aaaaand, I sent a test push with this URL to see if it’s actually work. Feel free to reply with how terrible this idea is, so that I can at least see this work. πŸ™‚

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Oh yeah, I was going to do this.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

Do which part of this. The part where you switch to a snazzy iPhone install their weird app that doesn’t really work (from what I can tell) then get notifications? Or the part where you start using your Mac to browse all of the internets, and get push notifications. Oh wait, are you on a PowerPC Mac? I can’t remember.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I had a (second hand) Mac for about 6 months back in ’11 or ’12, but after it shat itself I couldn’t afford to fix it or get a new one so I went back to the dark side.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.