:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

SOS-183 – The Past Is Full Of Things

SOS-183 – The Past Is Full Of Things

Latest Replies Forums Show Releases SOS-183 – The Past Is Full Of Things

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    robrob
    Participant

I won’t rise to your challenges, Bucho. “Main character”, ha!

I’m so happy that we’re doing these again, and it’s nice to see all the familiar faces around as well.

I think part of the reason I have such a hard time placing 7 is because as good as it is, it’s got a flatter overall feeling than any of the prequels. Sure, there’s a crazy tick-riding scene, and Jar Jar stepping in poop, a crazy pear-eating scene (“You don’t bite with your lips, bitch!”), “Are you an angel?”, yes, I get that – but nothing in 7 reaches the highs I felt in the prequels. Does anything in 7 match seeing Maul ignite his double-bladed lightsaber? Or seeing the Jedi in their prime? Or seeing the clones arrive and wiping out those droids? Or seeing Yoda fight? Or…I don’t know, the first 30 fuckin’ minutes of Revenge of the Sith? That might be just me…but nothing in 7 measures up to me, so it makes it hard to place.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

I do mostly get where you’re coming from – as flawed as they are there’s an epicness to the prequels that The Fanfilm Awakens doesn’t even come close to matching. I’m with you 1138% that Episode 7 feels much smaller in scope than all the other Star Wars films.

The main reason I have it higher than the prequels is I find the idea of watching Rey and Finn do their thing faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more enjoyable than watching Anakin and Obi Wan do theirs. A big part of why The Phantom Menace is my favourite prequel is I enjoy Jake Lloyd’s performance more than Hayden’s, and I really like watching Liam Neeson be a Jedi master.

Plus Episode 7 has the main character of the OT – Han Solo – in it, while the prequels don’t.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

OctaviousOctavious
    Participant

1. Star Wars
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. Empire Strikes Back
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Force, It Awakens
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Caravan of Courage
    37. Attack of the Clones

Noticed on the show and your list, Jerry and you call it Star Wars not A New Hope.

OctaviousOctavious
    Participant

I’m with you 1138% that Episode 7 feels much smaller in scope than all the other Star Wars films.

I see what you did there.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

1. Star Wars
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. Empire Strikes Back
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Force, It Awakens
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Caravan of Courage
    37. Attack of the Clones

Noticed on the show and your list, Jerry and you call it Star Wars not A New Hope.

Ha! Good call. We are pretty old I guess.

I’m sure I do sometimes call it A New Hope, or Episode 4, but I maybe when I rank them I think of it as Star Wars for some reason.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

thx_1227thx_1227
    Participant

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5 That part in Attack of the Clones when the seismic charge explodes
    6. Force Awakens
    7. Rogue One
    8. Phantom Menace
    9. Attack of the Clones

Rob you stated perfectly why I don’t like TFA more than I do – it’s flatter. Definitely doesn’t contain the lows that the prequels do, but not the highs either. Gotta always give credit to Lucas for pushing the boundaries…even if sometimes it’s stupid.

OctaviousOctavious
    Participant

1. Jedi, Return of the
    2. Empire
    3. Sith
    4. A New Hope
    5. Clones at the end when Palpatine looking the ships
    6. Rogue
    7. Menace
    8. Awakens
    9. Clones

I’m sure the list is going to change after Jedi, The Last. Hopefully bringing back innovation and pushing boundaries.

robrob
    Participant

Definitely doesn’t contain the lows that the prequels do, but not the highs either. Gotta always give credit to Lucas for pushing the boundaries…even if sometimes it’s stupid.

Yep, that’s an even better way to say it.

And, it’s easier for me to rate the prequels higher because of The Clone Wars cartoon. Yes, I know that you shouldn’t have to watch roughly 2,200+ extra minutes of material to make something better, but that’s exactly what the series does.

Something really strange happened recently – I talked about it somewhere, but I watched Return for the first time in a few years, and at the end (spoiler!) when Vader is looking at the Emperor and Luke before he says “No”, all of what came before sort of flashed in my brain – all the things that happened with Anakin and Obi-Wan and Ahsoka and the turn and everything, and I found myself getting really emotional. Like I saw all the good that Anakin did, the conflict was more pronounced. It was pretty awesome.

thx_1227thx_1227
    Participant

Thanks THX! To recap, I’m looking for one that does:

• auto-switching based on a linked mic source (would prefer the source NOT be the built in mic on the camera)
    • has a min shot threshold (so it doesn’t switch 16 times a second
    • records all sources to disk in addition to the ‘program, not just the ‘program’
    • must run on Mac
    • must support USB camera sources
    • streaming support for more than one service
    • whatever else I said on the show

Man I’ve scoured the internet and couldn’t find anything out of the box that fit all of these criteria. OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is a great free program that a lot of gaming streamers use, and with some scripting magic you could probably get it to switch scenes based on audio. However, no bueno on recording ISO streams.

The only program I’ve found that will record ISO streams is Wirecast Pro, but it costs a thousand bucks (literally).

Question – would it be an acceptable solution to have all cameras on screen at the same (in a grid layout or something similar) time instead of switching back and forth? If so, OBS would probably be your best bet.

Sorry if this isn’t helpful, I’m actually surprised that audio based switching isn’t a more readily available feature in these streaming programs.

thx_1227thx_1227
    Participant

Something really strange happened recently – I talked about it somewhere, but I watched Return for the first time in a few years, and at the end (spoiler!) when Vader is looking at the Emperor and Luke before he says “No”, all of what came before sort of flashed in my brain – all the things that happened with Anakin and Obi-Wan and Ahsoka and the turn and everything, and I found myself getting really emotional. Like I saw all the good that Anakin did, the conflict was more pronounced. It was pretty awesome.

Love it. I had a love/hate thing with the Clone Wars, but in the end it won me over. I’ve seen a few edits on youtube of that scene at the end of ROTJ where they splice in flashbacks from the prequels as Vader looks at Luke being fried by palps. I can only imagine how even more moving they are now that we have Clone Wars footage as well.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

Actually, there is a plugin for OBS that WILL do some of the switching, just not sure how reliable it is yet. I had already considered trying it and giving up ISO recording for now (or forever). I think if we do this, I need to focus on keeping it simple, and so maybe I don’t care about switching right away. Maybe I just want to do the show. So…

I test it with a 4-up layout, and it’s okay… not sure what to do with the last pane all of the time, so maybe I’ll come up with some variations, save them as scenes and just wing it.

I did see that Wirecast Pro does what I want… and I know how much it costs (already). Knowing me, a reason will arise in the next few months to need to buy it for work, or something else, and then I shall have it. I have a way of doing that.

Anyway, I’m testing….

cinemafreak
    Participant

If you guys can cut a clean promo, we’ll play it on Geek Radio Daily.

There are bits that you guys would do that have become so entrenched in my vernacular that they’ll never go away.

Things like:
    Huh?
    Annnnnd begin. Go. Go now.

And every time I hear or think of Zod, I think of you guys.

Glad to see you guys are back doing original content, and not just confusing audio commentaries on audio files.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by cinemafreak.
    cinemafreak
    Participant

And you guys ruined early podcast intros for me. I could listen to anybody that use the garage be in the loop without hearing some of the wacky asked lyrics you guys would add to it. Including commercials for various drugs, since they use them a lot too.

robrob
    Participant

“Glad to see you guys are back doing original content, and not just confusing audio commentaries on audio files.”

Hhhhhhhuuuuuuuhhhh?

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

Yes, the song game has really screwed up my ability to hear a lot of things. I don’t always revert to the songs that we’ve done such much as I stop paying attention and start thinking of lyrics for these songs that are usually inappropriate for whatever training, or sample video I’m viewing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.