:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

SOS-172 – Bryan and Rob Movie Talk

• Comments Off on SOS-172 – Bryan and Rob Movie Talk

SOS-172 – Bryan and Rob Movie Talk

Latest Replies Forums Show Releases SOS-172 – Bryan and Rob Movie Talk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    ori-STUDFARMori-STUDFARM
    Participant

My initial reactions listening to this (although I’m only about 2 hours in so far).

As some of you know, I’ve been going through old episodes trying to get aquainted with the show. I switched a few weeks back from randomly selecting episodes to going through what’s left of them in order…..now I’m way way back in the early days. Episode 20 or 30ish. Some shit like that…In fact, I just learned what the Lo Dimension actually is

These later shows sound so different from the early stuff. The early stuff sounds like you are sitting and talking to us fully aware of having an audience. It sounds like you are “putting on” a proper show. In this current stuff, you sound like you are having a conversation between yourselves and are totally unaware of a listening audience. Jumping to this after listening to so many older ones was a little jarring for me with regards to the difference in style. But still very entertaining!

This isn’t a criticism, just an observation of where I am at.

As for feedback for the intro. I liked it a hell of a lot. Mostly because the listener line “You guys make me laugh” connected me to the early stuff I’m currently working my way through.

Because I am listening to so much old stuff where you discuss other podcasts and podcasting friends along with a few listener email regulars, I would love to hear you guys talk about the old days. Whats changed….people who have vanished….podcasts that are no more…..your thoughts on where podcasting has ended up etc… How your download figures compare now to old days. I think a recent one mentioned something like about 200-300 downloads an episode.

BIG JOBBIES

ori-STUDFARMori-STUDFARM
    Participant

…and by a recent one, I mean an old one that I recently listened to…

BIG JOBBIES

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

I can see a lot of what you are talking about in 172, but I think as you listen to the next several shows roll out, this show with Rob and I will remain the only strong example of this. The rest will be more like anything else we’ve done in the last two years.

I would be interested in an organic discussion about the things you talk about. Some of it has come up a few times, but I don’t know how in depth we go.

digitaltopia
    Participant

It’s always interesting listening to you guys sit around and talk, just like listening to a couple of friends sit around and talk. For pure comedy and laughs, my favorite style has always been when you guys sit around the table, each with their own microphone, and talk about your funny stuff and play the games.

Again, it’s always interesting listening to you guys talk regardless, but from a pure comedy standpoint, I haven’t been as big a fan of when you guys go out to eat, or go stand outside, or do the mobile recordings. The best magic seems to happen when you’re all sitting around the table together. Maybe because when you’re out doing things you have other things to focus on and other things that distract you, but when you’re around the table together, you only have each other, and the conversation, and the funny, to focus on.

Oh and Jerry needs to quit whining and bring his keyboard in more often. In fact I thought it’d be a good idea for a while now for him to buy some smaller less expensive portable keyboard to use just for playing around on the show.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

I’ve liked a lot of the mobile stuff too but I never feel like it’s listen-to-twice material, whereas the studio shows feel more timeless and re-listenable and they’re where the funniest stuff and most compelling conversations always goes down.

Ironically, 172 will be a notable exception to the rule because there are some very funny moments and a lot of the movie analysis type talk is really enlightening and entertaining. Also, I really dig a lot of the solo mobile recordings, I guess because, like Digi and Ori said, there’s a certain amount of direct attention to entertainment and the audience going on.

@ori-STUDFARM 47864 wrote:

Because I am listening to so much old stuff where you discuss other podcasts and podcasting friends along with a few listener email regulars, I would love to hear you guys talk about the old days.

It’s interesting to hear your perspective on all this stuff Ori, knowing that with your sense of humour and pop culture sensibilities you’re a perfect type of person to listen to SOS but because you’re early in your involvement your take on it is very fresh.

I found when I was re-listening to the early shows that I’d get bored when they would talk about other podcasts – except Corby’s – and so when I edited the shows for myself I cut all that stuff out. I tried listening to some of the other “podcasting friends” type shows like Nate & Di and Bib & Yaz but they bored the crap out of me. I liked when Switched ON skyped in with them, but on their own they had nothing for me.

I liked the idea of the support community but I never became a fan of anyone else through it and even with Corby often being hilarious in his guest spots on Switched ON I never became a full-on regular listener to The Twisted Pickle. (Just checked up and it seems like almost exactly 4 years ago he did his final episode).

But having said all that I’d like to hear a little reminiscing on that old-timey podcast stuff in a future show. I’m just afraid it might bum the guys out looking back and drag the energy out of the show.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

digitaltopia
    Participant

If someone said to me, “What are your absolute most favorite moments from the Switched: On Show,” I’d have to say the musical comedy bits. That’s probably because I love musical comedy. There were lots of parts of the show that I loved and that made me laugh and that made me struggle to not burst out laughing in the middle of work back when I used to work in an office building and listen during work, but my all-time favorite bits that made me laugh the hardest have always been the musical comedy bits.

I’d probably do more musical comedy on our show if I could pull it off better.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

My favorite things that we do are the everyday situations that we just make more and more absurd by continuing to discuss them. The best comedy on our show (and often the longest running stuff) has come from this kind of stuff. Like the Raiders medallion thing for example, or the job interview stuff.

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

The only thing wrong with the new intro is the lack of cowbell.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

too obvious.

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

just finished. i enjoyed the extended movie discussion in this one.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

ori-STUDFARMori-STUDFARM
    Participant

@Larkitect 47882 wrote:

just finished. i enjoyed the extended movie discussion in this one.

Same here. And whilst I don’t disagree with anything said, I do hold a different personal opinion about some of the stuff. Mostly Johnny Depp. Although I will admit he isn’t the best actor I’ve come across, he is definitely one of my favorite.

I just love the majority of the characters he plays with Captain Jack Sparrow probably my second favourite. Unlike Bucho, I stuck with the franchise and have enjoyed them all in differing ammounts. I loved the first. I really liked the second. The third would have been an absolute abomination if it weren’t for my personal enjoyment of Captain Jack. The fourth one was just a fun adventure with a character I loved.

But my favourite Johnny Depp role is in Benny and Joon (or June….I forget which). I’m not exactly sure what it is about this movie I enjoy so much…I just do. Again, mostly because of Johnny Depp.

There have been roles I haven’t enjoyed from him. Willy Wonka probably the worse one in my opinion. But I blame Burton for this rather that Depp.

You also got me worried talking about boys being easier to parent than kids. I have 2 daughters. (12 and 9) You didn’t put my mind to rest…I only grew my beard to try and look intimidating to the potential boyfriends. All who are definitely scared of me. I do my best to not be over friendly when there are strange boys in the house.

BIG JOBBIES

digitaltopia
    Participant

“Listen Son, you best behave in my house and around my girls. Otherwise I’ll show you the other end of Cookie Monster.” I don’t know, that doesn’t sound quite right.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

Just follow Ed Bagely Jr’s lead on this one (from Pineapple Express).

“You mess with either of my girls, and I will take you out and fuck you in the street”

That should keep them away well into their 30s, if you are holding a rifle at the time.

digitaltopia
    Participant

@Version3 47892 wrote:

That should keep them away well into their 30s, if you are holding a rifle at the time.

Because after 30 it starts sounding like an attractive proposition?

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

Before that age I’m betting the older teens and 20 year olds think they can take ya down. After 30, you start doubting your immortality.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.