:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

SOS-172 – Bryan and Rob Movie Talk

• Comments Off on SOS-172 – Bryan and Rob Movie Talk

SOS-172 – Bryan and Rob Movie Talk

Latest Replies Forums Show Releases SOS-172 – Bryan and Rob Movie Talk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Version3Version3
    Keymaster

Jerry is on the other side of Earth, Bryan and Rob talk a lot of movie crap.

04:52:52 | Direct link even though Bing ain’t here

sos-172.jpg

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

i thought iTunes was playing a cruel practical joke on me. had to come in here for proof.

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

Oh fuck yes.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

digitaltopia
    Participant

Finally, a new Ye Olde Switching On Caster of Pods. I shall place this directly into my podcast receptacle.

Newman
    Participant

@digitaltopia 47848 wrote:

Finally, a new Ye Olde Switching On Caster of Pods. I shall place this directly into my podcast receptacle.

I though I was the only person with a podcast receptacle for a butt!
    Edit: Ok that was funny in my head but doesn’t make any sense on paper…so leaving it in.

Enjoying it so far, even your parenting chatter Bryan.

digitaltopia
    Participant

13ztjpe.jpg

BuchoBucho
    Participant

I’m only up to the start of hour 3 at this point and loving all the movie analysis stuff. I can listen to Robby talk movies all day and I always liked when Bryan gets technical talking about movies – the cinematography and the pacing of the editing and where the strengths and weaknesses of certain actors and actresses lie and all that malarky. Reminded me slightly of one of my favourite episodes – 93 – where you guys spend about an hour going way in depth on Star Wars.

The Johnny Depp discussion in particular made me wonder what you guys thought of his performance in Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas if you’ve seen it. I know watching that film sober is probably the wrong way to go but for me that was the most empty and irritating performance by any actor I can think of in the last couple of decades. That’s even though I considered myself a fan of both Gilliam and Depp.

I still like him in the way that you guys were discussing – the way he seems like a genuine and decent guy in real life – but since the first Pirates film (which I liked) I’ve never been tempted to watch another one of his movies. I avoid the Burton stuff, The Tourist looked like shit in the trailers and after Pirates 2 I checked out of that franchise too.

@Newman 47849 wrote:

Enjoying it so far, even your parenting chatter Bryan.

Yeah, that part dealing with the challenges of having a child who’s making the transition from being a kid to having some independence and the daughters vs sons debate was fascinating. I grew up with only brothers, no sisters, and always felt like Robby that boys are probably easier to deal with, but Bryan made some solid points in the other direction.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

I should mention that you guys will definitely not have to wait months for the next release… or the next. The hold up on this show, was some weird technical issue (again) with the iphone/iRiver combo. We used both for different parts, and I won’t be doing this again. It was a super huge headache, and it wasn’t until a few days ago that Rob helped me work the last timing kink out.

The fact that I wanted a new intro just slowed things that much more. Did that melt anyone’s ears? Did it make sense at all?

digitaltopia
    Participant

@Version3 47855 wrote:

I should mention that you guys will definitely not have to wait months for the next release… or the next.

11t6f5v.jpg

The fact that I wanted a new intro just slowed things that much more. Did that melt anyone’s ears? Did it make sense at all?

I’ll get to listen to this tonight so I’ll be back tomorrow with further observations.

LarkitectLarkitect
    Participant

@Version3 47855 wrote:

I should mention that you guys will definitely not have to wait months for the next release… or the next.

inconceivable.jpg

My essence still senses Bucho's women.

robrob
    Participant

That was a fun show to record, simply because talking about movies is one of the things that I am supremely confident that I know at least most of what I’m talking about. Glad you guys are enjoying it. I just finished listening to it, too, and it was just as fun listening to it as it was recording.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

I felt like parts of it just drug ass along. But that’s working from memory. And it’s 9 months old. Kids come out faster than that episode did.

BuchoBucho
    Participant

The only parts that drag a little are the early parts where Robby is waiting for you to find Jessica her templates and the little bit about audio technological stuff that went way over my head but the movie stuff had a real nice momentum to it and a lot of fascinating opinions and insight.

And even during that early part there’s funny stuff scattered through – it took less than two minutes for my first laugh out loud when Rob sings, “Pepsi – making you cum in your pants, cause it’s really fuckin’ good,” and then Bryan sings, “Right in front of your family and shit.”

It’s always fun when you guys talk about which women you find hot too, especially Bryan with his extra-specific and unforgiving taste. I think I got so used to hearing you talk about what’s wrong with the faces of 99% of actresses and models that when you talked about the charms of Salma Hayek I was in shock. And later in the episode where you go into your inbuilt rebelliousness towards trendy conformism, I started wondering how much of your anti-popularity tendency feeds into your particular distaste for certain “hot” women in the sense that they’re not just not-your-types but also super popular.

The new intro is fun too, I’m all for it.

Version3Version3
    Keymaster

Hey, finally some feedback on that intro! It took a lot for the non-musician to come up with what I thought was starting to sound correct. This started way back when I was finishing up the ‘short show’ intro for you Bucho. I’d heard that brass bit, and the banjo almost back to back and thought, “that would be interesting if it worked”. Then I thought, with the variety of the show, and the song game making such frequent appearances, it would be cool if the music for the intro had some of that flavor. It was the deep voices and the beatbox dude loops that convinced me that somehow this had to be a good idea. I kept second guessing myself, because it was always on the edge of just sounding too damn busy.

I finally just had to quit worrying about it, and assume that someone would tell me if it sucks. So don’t prove me wrong, if it’s going to be hard to listen to for the rest to the year, now’s the time to tell me.

digitaltopia
    Participant

As for the new intro, I thought the banjos and trumpets were an interesting choice.

8yak9f.jpg

As for the rest of the show, there were a lot of things I wanted to comment on, but can’t remember anymore. I did want to say in regards to talking about comedy actors, I think there are a lot of comedy actors that are only funny when they’re given a good script, and aren’t that funny on their own. In fact, I think there are a lot of actors in general that are only interesting when given a good script. These people spend their entire careers pretending to be other people and having other people tell them how they should act. I don’t think they even know how to just be normal, or just be themselves. Which is why I always find it interesting when people put so much weight on the opinions of celebrities, when these are people that spend their entire careers pretending to be other people.

I also thought Robbie’s comments on elephant love were interesting. The timeline goes like this:

Robby makes a recording about elephant love > the SOCrew talks about elephant love on the forums at length, even though we hadn’t heard the recording yet > the recording comes out with Robby talking about the walls being splattered with elephant jizzum and dripping off of poodles.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.