:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Show 142

• Comments Off on Show 142

Show 142

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Newman
    Participant

Funny as always, no download problems this week.

Audio was great till you played VMs then it went back the staticy bull shit.

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, so we think we pinned it down to Skype… we did some testing. So, we ran 143 with no Skype, and the noise came in around an hour anyway. I had the iRiver running for 143, so you all will get a clean show. Still diagnosing it, but I’m getting closer to the actual cause, so that we can avoid it in future shows.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I’m curious, how did that chick look that Jerry went on that super extend-o date with? From what was said, it sounded like she wasn’t all that attractive.

Pa-ul
    Participant
    Version3 wrote:
    I’m getting closer to the actual cause, so that we can avoid it in future shows.

If you are using the Intel Based Macbook, it wouldn’t be anything to do with the audio system would it?

Phil from BitJobs used to have a similar problem before he changed his sound card, I know with the Macbook you don’t have the option to rip it out, but, there’s always a way to circumvent it (that’s my reference to “The Last Boyscout”).

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

Pa-ul
    Participant

The Shows rock, with or without the added static.

😀

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

digitaltopia
    Participant

Just from the little bit that I can tell, it almost seems like the problem is from having audio input from multiple sources, i.e. your regular recording gear, voicemails, Skype etc. If someone had a USB audio interface that you could record from instead, it would be an interesting test… unless the problem was with the audio core or the recording program itself. For that matter, you could try a different recording program, like Audacity, just to see if it still happened with that.

Version3
    Keymaster

I guess the discussion or the threads on our gear have been long forgotten. We are using a FireWire audio interface. It’s likely one of two things: 1) The fact that Peak is running under Rosetta (for plugin support) is causing the breakdown at about 1hr where the noise shows up or 2) (this is more likely for the ‘old’ Intel machine) the MacBook Pros just have something going on with the powersupply that introduces noise to the power for the FireWire interface. ALL of the noise is introduced into the FireWire interface, as this noise is NOT audible during recording. Using the “line-in” could also keep this from happening.

143 is clean BTW.

digitaltopia
    Participant

I wonder what would happen if you stopped recording when the noise showed up and then started recording again. And 143 could never be clean because you’re a dirty, dirty man.

Bing
    Participant
    digitaltopia wrote:
    I’m curious, how did that chick look that Jerry went on that super extend-o date with? From what was said, it sounded like she wasn’t all that attractive.

Guys like Jerry always end up with the freakishly hot chicks that end up making everyone pretend they are not staring at her…

….Using my super powers of observation, it sounded to me like regardless of what this young lady looked like it was overshadowed by the fact that she had ISSUES. We’re talking serious “breaking down and crying in Wal-Mart ’cause she thinks you don’t find her sexy anymore” type of issues…

I’m curious as to whether or not he had to fight off her issue-laden sexual predations in the wee hours of the morning…

Version3
    Keymaster
    digitaltopia wrote:
    I wonder what would happen if you stopped recording when the noise showed up and then started recording again. And 143 could never be clean because you’re a dirty, dirty man.

Uh, we can’t hear the noise, so there is no way to know when it shows up. I think it might also have to do with program run time, not the actual record length… so it would be a real show killer to do it that way. I have a better idea; I’m going to just keep dumping into the iRiver for backup (like 143) until I actually figure out what the deal is. 🙂

digitaltopia
    Participant

Well yeah, I know you can’t hear the sound when you’re recording, I was just wondering what would happen if the recording was stopped sometime while the sound was happening. Just wondering outloud. And I wasn’t suggesting you do it during the show. That would be as bad as some really long rambling voicemail. I was thinking like leaving it running on its own while random sound events for an hour or so, stopping it, seeing if it recorded any noise at the end, and if so, starting the recording again to see if it was still doing it.

In a situation like that, I usually like to put way too much effort into trying all the little variables like that, but I’m sure you probably don’t have the time (or perhaps even desire) for such a level of testing.

If the iRiver gives consistently good recordings, is there any advantage in using it as the backup system instead of just using it as the main recording system outright?

rob
    Participant

That seems to be the plan, Fred Jim Bob Dave Rupert Peter Craig. It’s just kinda frustrating that the big damn Macbook Pro is so damn noisy. It probably is the recording prog, though. Who cares? I like chicken.

digitaltopia
    Participant

Hey, and chicken likes you. Something about greasing its thighs. I don’t know.

Octavious
    Participant

Love the car math. That suck what happen to your father in-law’s car but then again, lucky bastard for him to get all that money.

Bucho
    Participant

There’s some really funny shit right from early in the show, I loved that “Let’s hear it for …… Huh? Huh? Huh?” stuff and Bryan’s announcer/interupter guy.

Jerry’s story of his doom laden adventure on the wrong side of the tracks wasn’t boring at all, especially with Rob’s little asides (“pygmies”, “covered in …”, “yeah, he’s a Mexican ain’t he”). I’ve been in that bad situation where you don’t know how to end the date and you end up just going along with shit even though you know it’s probably going to fuck things up for later. I hate that.

James’ voicemail song was great too, I cracked up when he got to the chorus.

Billy Goats And Donuts In The Shade has been top of the Bucho charts this week, slightly edging out Shakira and Beyonce.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.