:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rowling working on Post-Potter book, a Scottish crime drama

• Comments Off on Rowling working on Post-Potter book, a Scottish crime drama

Rowling working on Post-Potter book, a Scottish crime drama

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Rowling working on Post-Potter book, a Scottish crime drama

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Frank
    Participant

LONDON (AP) — J.K. Rowling has been spotted at cafes in Scotland working on a detective novel, a British newspaper reported Saturday.
    The Sunday Times newspaper quoted Ian Rankin, a fellow author and neighbor of Rowling’s, as saying the creator of the “Harry Potter” books is turning to crime fiction.
    “My wife spotted her writing her Edinburgh criminal detective novel,” the newspaper, which was available late Saturday, quoted Rankin as telling a reporter at an Edinburgh literary festival.
    “It is great that she has not abandoned writing or Edinburgh cafes,” said Rankin, who is known for his own police novels set in the historic Scottish city.
    Rowling famously wrote initial drafts of the Potter story in the Scottish city’s cafes. Back then, she was a struggling single mother who wrote in cafes to save on the heating bill at home.
    Now she’s Britain’s richest woman — worth $1 billion, according to Forbes magazine — and her seven Potter books have sold more than 335 million copies worldwide.
    In an interview with The Associated Press last month, Rowling said she believed she was unlikely to repeat the success of the Potter series, but confirmed she had plans to work on new books.
    “I’ll do exactly what I did with Harry — I’ll write what I really want to write,” Rowling said.
    The office of Rowling’s literary agent, Christopher Little, was not immediately available to comment late Saturday..

YouFollowMe
    Participant

I don’t know how I feel about this. I know that no matter what, if I read this I would be disappointed, because nothing will ever be as good as Harry Potter. Granted, I will definitely still read it because I’m gonna digest anything with the word Rowling on it like a fat woman at a McDonald’s. I just don’t know how much I’ll like it.

rob
    Participant

I’m not sure that she would be writing so soon. She said in interviews that she wanted to take a lot of time off to not worry about a deadline. Who knows for sure, though? I would think that there’s just no telling what she’ll be doing, and it probably won’t be as good as HP, but I will also read it.

rob
    Participant

Told ya — it was a joke that got out of hand, apparently —

Quote:
    Rankin: Novel rumors a ‘joke that got out of hand’

Earlier this week, we told you about a Scottish novelist’s comment stating that JK Rowling was writing a crime novel. In a new interview with the author Ian Rankin, he describes the rumors as a “joke that got out of hand. There were 600 people in the audience, and only one person didn’t laugh.”

Emma Schlesinger, speaking for Rowling’s literary agent, has commented on the theories concerning Jo and her next book.

“JK Rowling is taking a well-earned break following the English language publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and there are no firm plans as yet as to what her next book may be.”

digitaltopia
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    Told ya — it was a joke that got out of hand, apparently —

Quote:
    Rankin: Novel rumors a ‘joke that got out of hand’

Earlier this week, we told you about a Scottish novelist’s comment stating that JK Rowling was writing a crime novel. In a new interview with the author Ian Rankin, he describes the rumors as a “joke that got out of hand. There were 600 people in the audience, and only one person didn’t laugh.”

Emma Schlesinger, speaking for Rowling’s literary agent, has commented on the theories concerning Jo and her next book.

“JK Rowling is taking a well-earned break following the English language publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and there are no firm plans as yet as to what her next book may be.”

I heard about this from TV today too. That is, I heard that she was writing it… didn’t hear the part about it being a joke. Just as a side-note, just because she said she’s taking a break from deadlines doesn’t mean that she’s not writing. It just means she’s not writing under contract. If you have a contract for a novel, then you have various deadlines for your various drafts of it, with a major deadline for the finishing of the book itself. But she could be writing just for the fun of it without any contract from any publishing house, and still be “taking a break from deadlines”. Besides, she doesn’t really need a prior contract. Anything she writes now will sell.

As for her alleged new book, I already figured it out. It was a wand up the butt that did it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.