:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob’s Quick Review: The Departed

• Comments Off on Rob’s Quick Review: The Departed

Rob’s Quick Review: The Departed

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Rob’s Quick Review: The Departed

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

I’m going to make this as quick as possible, because the more I type the better the chance I’ll give away something, so yeah — movie just frickin’ kicks all kinds of ass. Amazing performances, cool camera work — definitely the best Scorcese movie in years.

I thought Gangs of New York was a pretty good movie, and The Aviator was flawed but better than Gangs, and this just tops those. Also my favorite Scorcese movie, I think.

Definitely DiCaprio’s best role. Mark Wahlberg’s best role by a long shot. Damon’s really good, too, but not Good Will Hunting good. Nicholson’s as good as you expect.

Basically, if you’re a movie fan, you owe it to yourself to check it out. And Bryan — yeah, I think you’re really going to dig this one.

Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, I’m amped to see it. Mark Wahlberg was choice in Boogie Nights though so that’s a big call.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Version3
    Keymaster

:).

I’ll put it on my list of things to make time for.

-posted from blackberry waiting for flight.

Bucho
    Participant

I finally saw this film after so many aborted attempts. I liked the shit out of it. Watched Infernal Affairs the night before so it was spoiled in a way but it was different enough to keep me on my toes and I laughed a lot too. Jack does come off too cartoonish at points and DiCaprio overplays the nervous wreck a bit but he’s still very watchable. Wahlberg is great, although not playing such a challenging character and Damon is superb, paranoia always bubbling under his surface even when he’s the in-control happy-go-lucky guy.

To me this is far better than Gangs Of New York but not up with Taxi Driver. The shots he composes and the editiing are awesome but the plot has enough small flaws to hold it back from being a classic. Still a hell of a fun and thrilling movie though.

Octavious
    Participant

Loved the movie, but did anyone notice that the Bostonian accents were just a little bit annoying.

Bucho
    Participant

The only strong US accent I sometimes find annoying are the west coast types, especially that Valley-girl shit. Same with some Aussie girls, no matter how hot they are as soon as they open their mouths you just want to shove something down their throats so they shut the fuck up. I like all the North East and the Southern US accents. The mid-west and Canada I can take or leave.

The more I’ve thought about The Departed the more I like it and even though I give the Oscars very little cred I hope Marty wins, even if it’s partly like a career acknowledgement. I’d probably get chills seeing him up there getting the award to a standing ovation in spite of my despisement of the fuggin academy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.