:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob’s Mini-Show – week of 9/17/18…

• Comments Off on Rob’s Mini-Show – week of 9/17/18…

Rob’s Mini-Show – week of 9/17/18…

Latest Replies Forums Solo Shows Rob’s Mini-Show – week of 9/17/18…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by rob rob 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

Trying something a little different here. Links, then the things I talked about. Not sure if this is something I’d continue, but these are sorta the bullet points. I usually don’t care what topics are when I listen to a podcast, I just listen, but hey, just something different. Enjoy!

Direct Link: 20180918.mp3

Garden, Jerky, Rogan, Vaping

Direct Link: 20180919.mp3

Topics: Yelling at job, Buh, Cars, more jerky, Louis

Direct Link: 20180920.mp3

Topics: Conor/Khabib, Even more jerky, flavors

Direct Link: 20180922.mp3

Topics: Vapey flavors again, AirPods, Elise, creepy, Star Wars

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Heck yeah Robby, I almost missed these in all the SOS-186 excitement!

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

regarding the video… that girl has talent (apparently she does her own photo/video work too??? -Not the actual camera moves, but I saw some comments that she works on them as well), but holy shit, she can play the drums.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

The Facebook riff about 13min into the second ep had me laughing so hard. Not just because you nailed the idea you were riffing on, but the voices are some of your most hilarious voices, and you know how much I love your voices.

Also, the B1 bumper sticker reminds me that you haven’t said if you checked out any of those fighter pilot podcasts or vids. Maybe you’re not so into any of that malarkey these days but I’ve been digging them quite a bit. They actually kind of remind me of the old school 2005-6 style of podcasts since they’re both charmingly amateur compared to what dominates the podworld these days.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

There’s two aspects to the Louis thing which are a little murkier than you say. The first being whether or not he blocked the exit, the second being whether or not the market should decide. In the case of the latter, the market was fine with Cosby even after it was clear he was evil. Dude was selling tickets aplenty well after the 37th woman spoke up about him. I mean, fuck, “The Market” put Trump in The White House, so you can see why folks who are hurting are skeptical of “The Market” being the arbiter of anything which makes sense lately.

In the case of the former, that’s tricky, because Louis came out and flat out said the stories were true and admitted he’d been completely in the wrong, but he addressed that to the NYT story, in which it wasn’t stated that he had blocked the exit. Then there’s Corry’s allegation that part of his apology to her included shoving her into a bathroom. She says he didn’t do that to her and was mixing up his apologies, but the clear insinuation is that Louis shoved a woman into a bathroom at some point.

If there’s a third thing I think it’s that people are pissed off that when he came back he did so unannounced, so people at that show who have a problem with him were put in a shitty position. That and the fact that Louis said he would take “a long time” to shut up and listen to women who have been suffering institutionalized abuse and harrassment for decades upon decades, so 9 months seems like 2/5ths of sweet fuck all, especially given that a massive part of the whole power abuse thing is that the power Louis had also made him rich as fuck, so it’s not like sitting out a couple of years is going to put him out on the street or anything.

The whole thing’s a massive bummer, because he was my favourite comedian too, but even though we disagree on a couple of aspects of his fall and first attempt to rise again I think you’ve done a real solid job of talking about it. I’m hoping the next time he opens his mouth, wherever/whenever that ends up being, he addresses the whole thing –  at least as far as he can without getting himself into any kind of legal shithole. The dude us a master orator and part of wrecking the bullshit system that shat on all these women for so long has to be powerful dudes coming out and yapping about it, because there are a lot of “regular” dudes out there who need to hear it from someone like Louis.

If he can get his head around seeing the situation he’s in as an opportunity to do some legit good in the world he’ll be ok. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets it right, he seems way too smart not to.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Ok, first – Bryan, yeah, I went down the YouTube rabbit hole watching her, and I’m like totally a fan now. Some of her music’s just not my thing, but I really like a lot of it. She’s something special, for sure.

Bucho – I tried listening to what you were talking about with the Facebook – all I heard was the Captain Marvel stuff…?

I do like the fighter piloty stuff, just hadn’t watched any of that. I’m sorta scared to even think about watching it because then I probably won’t get anything done.

With Louis – I think the major point is that there’s just no proof. He replied to the one that he said was true, sure, but there’s just not enough evidence for me to totally write the guy off. I get the idea of people not getting the choice (the surprise show), but I’m still not clear on where the line is drawn. Like, who gets to decide how long he stays out? If he’d stayed away for two years, would that have been enough? It’s such a hard thing to gauge, especially for someone like me without any knowledge. Like, guy could be a complete furry rapist and I wouldn’t have any idea.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Ah dang, I meant 33 min, not 13. It’s from about 32:10 of the 0919 ep. “But it’s a squrriel doing a dance.” I freakin crack up at that bit every time. And “… sadface.” Like, your natural timing throughout the whole bit is excellent, the every pause is the right length … it almost has he cadence of a solid stand-up bit. I’ve just listened to it for like the 7th and 8th times and still love the whole thing.

I watched the whole Conor/Khabib deal live when it happened and pretty much loved all of it. The dude brings so much chaos to the game. He’s pretty much The Joker, right? I mean, you know way more about The Joker than me, but to me it seems like his goal is to create chaos around him so that as the creator of the chaos he’s the only one who really knows what’s going on. I guess that makes Khabib Bruce Wayne then. Not sure how I feel about that bit though.

There isn’t any video proof or anything with the Louis case, sure, but then there never is in the vast majority of these cases. That’s a big part of how certain guys have gotten away with it for aeons upon aeons. “All you have is your word against mine toots, who do you think they’re going to believe?” By coming out and saying everything in the NYT article was true though Louis essentially admitted to shoving a woman into a bathroom. Obviously that’s not Cosby or Weinstein stuff, but it’s still a plenty shithouse state of affairs.

So if a mofo is getting his wires crossed about how he harrassed or abused some of the people he harrassed or abused then plenty of folks are going to say maybe he’d been doing a little too much harrassing and abusing to let him off the hook so easy. It sucks that it’s all so murky, and I think part of why so many are still so hard on him is they expected so much better from a master like him when he did come back.

rob
    rob
    Participant

That was pretty funny. I listened to it and the “I made a punkin thing with the cute kids!” was so damn irritating and weird that it cracked me up. It’s like you’re listening to me losing my mind in real-time.

Conor/Khabib – yeah, people were saying that Khabib was feeling the pressure. I think he’s got his head on straight and none of that shit affected him. It’s definitely going to be an interesting fight.

Yeah, I didn’t really read up on all of the accusations. It just makes me sad. It’s going to be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Biltong is the word you’re looking for Robby.

Biltong.

You were close with billabong, and understandably so, they’re very close Australian words.

But it’s biltong.

Jerky and biltong aren’t near as big a deal here in NZ as they are in the Southern US and Texes and Aus, although Jack Links has been established here for what must be at least 15 years now. I did used to eat a bit of that once in a while when I was training a lot, as a protein snack kind of deal on the run when I didn’t have time to get a proper sandwich or whatever, but I never fell in love with it.

Also, listen from about 46:40 till about 47:00 of the 0922 episode. I’m not going to say what it is you did, because I would never spoil you like that, but I am going to say it cracked me up.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Man, I was so with you for so much of what you were saying about Star Wars but I was the opposite on Canto Bight. Each subsequent time I saw it it dragged the movie down even further. There’s a lot of stuff I feel like Rian fucking nailed in the film, but the Canto Bight/slow speed chase thing feels so much like it needed another couple of drafts at the screenplay stage.

The only bright spots for me in that whole dealio are the Holdo Maneuver and what Benicio does, who I love in everything, including the stuttering everyone was hating on. Star Wars is not Star Wars without the rogues and scoundrels, and he adds that at a key moment and does a lot to make it halfway watchable to me.

The best BB-8 scenes in the entire saga so far are when BB-8 is reacting off of Benicio, because Benicio is the only character BB-8 bounces off in any significant way who’s not an “eager beaver”. Poe, Rey, Finn and BB-8 are all very, very similar in temperament (unlike Luke, Leia, Han, R2, Chewie and Threepio who are all very distinct) so to see BB-8 finally having to reckon with someone who doesn’t have that same  Superdelightful Christian Youth Group feel is fun as fuck. Especially since when they created the new heroic character to add to the gang instead of adding variety they doubled down on the eager beaverness with Rose.

It’s also why the Luke and Rey stuff works so well. All of the new characters are basically parts of Luke’s OT personality, so if he was still that same eager beaver when Rey turns up it’d be eager beaver overload. Having Luke be a cranky old fuck (much more of a Han Solo, but even crankier) for eager beaver Rey to bounce off is the good stuff.

It’s a big part of why all the Kylo and Rey stuff works so well too..

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Bucho Bucho.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Bucho Bucho.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Wow, that’s funny that you say that – the character traits. Sort of makes the Holdo/Poe interactions stick out, because so much of the time there’s perfect agreement between characters.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I finally listened to a bunch of those Elise Trouw tracks and fuck Elise Trouw, it’s extremely rude anyone that young is that skilled at that many things.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Yep, it must suck being that good at…everything.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.