:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob’s Mini-Show – on to 2019!

• Comments Off on Rob’s Mini-Show – on to 2019!

Rob’s Mini-Show – on to 2019!

Latest Replies Forums Solo Shows Rob’s Mini-Show – on to 2019!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

So here’s some shows. I talk about Annilhilation in the first show, the 2nd and 3rd are all over the place, with my thoughts on Bebop, and the 4th I talk about the Spider-Verse and I revisit Blade Runner 2049.

Direct Link: 20181227.mp3

Direct Link: 20190103.mp3

Direct Link: 20190108.mp3

Direct Link: 20190114.mp3

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

HECK!

YES!

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Nice work Robby, it’s about damn time!

I haven’t got through all of them yet but after the Louis CK bit it seems worth noting that in addition to his abuses of power for sexual advantage Louis also admitted to shoving a girl into a bathroom. Obviously he’s no Weinstein or Cosby, and I’m not saying he should be locked up or never given a second shot or anything, but it seems to me the old “He asked permission first” defense only goes so far.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I don’t condone any of it…seriously. But, where is it that he pushed somebody in a bathroom? I seriously never heard that…

But it really is about the power, right? Someone had said is that the asking is part of what gets him off, too, that he had power to influence their careers and all that. Still messed up.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

It’s in the New York Times article. He apologized to one of the women for shoving her into a bathroom. Hilariously, it turned out he was apparently apologizing to the wrong woman. When you’ve been such a monumental asshole to so many people you can’t even remember which apologies go with which women that’s not a great sign.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Man, I’m so stoked you got so much out of Cowboy Bebop Robby, I figured it incorporated so many of the things you dig because it incorporates so many of the things I dig, but anime style just doesn’t work for some people so I figured it was a dice roll recommending it.

Unfortunately I can’t recommend another one I liked as much as I love Bebop – the vast majority of anime doesn’t work for me either – but if you can track down Samurai Champloo I’d be curious to hear your take on that. It’s Watanabe’s follow up and has a similar conceit – a pair of mismatched dudes, a young lass who gets mixed up in their troubles (or more to the point they get mixed up in hers this time) and a musical thread (this time hip-hop instead of jazz), but this time instead of a couple of future bounty hunters gallivanting about the galaxy it’s a couple of ronin gallivanting about Edo-era Japan. I enjoyed it but I didn’t fall in love with it like I did Bebop.

Also, along the lines of his Blade Runner short, I don’t know if you remember the Animatrix project, but Watanabe made one of those shorts too if you feel like tracking it down.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I always dig hearing you work through stuff like the “Should I have more diversity in the story I’m writing”? conundrum. It’s frustrating too, because as you go through I’m wishing I was on the other end of the line, not to give answers per se, but to ask other questions. But that frustrating aside, it’s fascinating to hear you wrestle with yourself over this stuff.

I know this has come up before, but you know by now that those of us who are still all aboard the Rob train after all these years probably don’t think you’re a bad dude. That your heart is in the right place is something I never question, even on those occasions when I’ve pushed back on things you’ve said. And I’m just another white dude anyway, it’s not like I can talk from first hand minority experience.

One thing that has really opened up The Galaxy to me though, not coincidentally, is podcasting. In the last 14 years haven’t just listened to white dudes born in the 70s like me, I’ve listened to over 500 episodes of the Slashfilmcast, a movie/TV review show hosted by an Asian American of Chinese heritage with two co-hosts, one of whom is of Indian heritage who was born in the West Indies. I’ve listened to over 3,000 episodes of Keith and The Girl, a show in which one of the hosts is pretty much me if I was much funnier and transplanted from rural Pennsylvania to New York, and the other is an Israeli Jewish woman who ended up in a relationship with a girl who realized along the way he was actually a trans man. In addition to that mind-opening business, those 3,000 episodes have featured guests of every race, colour, creed and Harry Potter house opening up in some very, very personal ways.

My favourite podcast of all time, after all these years and all these tens of thousands of hours of aural explorations, is still the one made by 3 white boys born in the 70s from Texas, but other shows can let a  mofo in on a massive range of perspectives I never would have experienced without them. The world of podcasting, to me, is basically like Star Wars. Luke’s whole deal was he wanted to get away from everything he knew and find adventure exploring the wider galaxy. If all you listen to is Bill Burr isn’t it possible you might be stuck on Tatooine?

Don’t take any of these ramblings overly seriously, it’s a goofy analogy I just spat off the top of my head with zero forethought while I’m eating breakfast. Even after all of my explorations via podcast, and a wee excursion into a proper jungle along the way living amongst a bunch of brown folks who spoke no English, I still don’t really know what I’m talking about when it comes to diversity. To get back to the thing which kicked it all off for you, I think you’re mostly on the right path focusing your first major storytelling on the types of characters you know the best. I haven’t looked super hard yet but I haven’t found the Mary Sue article you were talking about. The only one I’ve checked out is their 4/5 star review, so if even The Mary Sue likes your movie that much it can’t be toooooo sexist can it?

rob
    rob
    Participant

Pretty sure it was the Mary Sue site, but I found it through the Rotten Tomatoes thingie. The whole “allow movies like this” thing really got to me. Like, who the fuck are you, and how dare you attempt to speak for me or anyone else, for that matter? I could be wrong, and I probably am, but it just seems like overly negative click baity bullshit to me. I don’t think they gave BR 2049 a good review…?

As far as podcasts go – I listen to about an hour of Bill Burr a week, so it’s not like I’m only listening to him. The rest of the time I “watch” my vaping dudes. I did used to watch this Polish vaping girl (I think?) but she got really sort of pigeonholed into doing really low end stuff, which just didn’t appeal to me. I don’t follow any girl gamers, but it’s mainly because recently I ONLY watch Hali. He plays with a variety of people, so that’s cool.

I have sort of a hard time finding people I really want to listen to. I REALLY dug Skepticality back in the day. Maybe I’m just a closed minded dicknose?

Back to Bebop though – that other show sounds cool. I’ll see about checking that out. And I have The Animatrix, and really dug everything on that except for one weird one. He did the Detective Story and The Kid story ones, and I remember liking those a lot.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I might rewatch some Samurai Champloo myself. Over the years, I’ve watched Cowboy Bebop 4 or 5 times through and will throw on a random episode once in a while, but I only watched Samurai Champloo through once, and that was almost a decade and a half ago now.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Did you watch the Bebop movie too Rob?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.