:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob’s Mini-Show – lots…

• Comments Off on Rob’s Mini-Show – lots…

Rob’s Mini-Show – lots…

Latest Replies Forums Solo Shows Rob’s Mini-Show – lots…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by rob rob 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

Mini-Show dump!

So the 1/15 show is me talking more about the whole #metoo thing, and I’m all over the place on it. I thought I just wouldn’t worry about putting it out, but meh, fuck it.

The 2/6 and 2/7 shows are almost sister shows. I talk about my decision to hold off on streams for a bit while I reorganize and rethink this whole streaming thing and I’d really like some feedback on those, if you can.

So yeah, almost three hours of me talking about all kinds of shit. I’m holding off on my thoughts on Solo for the time being, but we’ve got a bit of time, and maybe a future stream…?

Direct Link: 20180115.mp3

Direct Link: 20180206.mp3

Direct Link: 20180207.mp3

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

MAH MAN!!!

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I’ve only finished the first one so far and hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boy …

… that might be my favourite RobShow you’ve ever done. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard you so lucid, articulate and on-point. Maybe you should begin every episode by making tea, because whatever got you switched on for that one switched you all the way on. It wasn’t just enjoyable in the usual RobShow way, it was impressive. The way you laid out your points, the wording choices, the moments you chose to drop in a joke or two. The only bit that wasn’t aces was when you couldn’t remember “The Aristocrats” for what felt like 17 hours. (I’m kidding, I’m kidding. It honestly didn’t feel like more than 5 hours.)

I also agreed/empathized with at least 98% of everything you said over the course of 90+ minutes, so that probably helped.

I’m about 20 minutes into the second and maaaaaaaaaaaaan, I get it. I even felt a little bit bad for a couple of seconds for finding it fun to see how pissed off you got at BF2, but then I remembered how fun it was and realized I have no regrets. That’s your fault for being so funny at being angry. But really, I do get your points that the game is fucked and you have no time for it anymore. Also about the energy required to play and entertain at the same time while work is hammering you fairly regularly too.

So you just do what you gotta do brother, I’ll be in your corner no matter what.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I’m listening back to it because you made me curious.  I never do that…but you made me curious.  Probably worked so well because I wasn’t having my focus taken away by games by or driving or whatever.  But you make me wonder what the 2% that you didn’t agree with was…?

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

As long as I’m by a computer when you go live I’ll tune in for whatever you do, you know that. Talking about Star Wars stuff with Jerry would definitely be one of my favourite things though.

Also, I told you all along your channel should be about you and not your gameplay. I mean, I liked seeing what those games were all about but there’s a million and seventy eight people playing those games I could choose to tune into and some of them might even be better players than you. That’s why I was always going on at you to sing or do accents or character voices or have conversations with imaginary antagonists or any of that Robstuff the Robfans love you for. Why did it take you so long to listen to me?

Also, I’m pretty sure we WANT you to have 1,000+ watchers/listeners. You don’t need to apologize for thinking it would be fun to have a bigger audience, like you guys did at the peak of Switched ON.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Holy shit, something I said just cracked me up…

“I wish I could convey how I think about the world better.  I seriously don’t care if you’re gay, white, black, brown, yellow, purple, green, I don’t give a shit. It just doesn’t matter.

Because chances are, when I first meet you, I think you’re gonna suck anyway.  And you might say, “Gosh, Rob, that’s worse.  That’s worse than being racist, because you hate everybody!”

No!  That’s equality!”

Just wow.

But to answer you…man, again, you don’t know how much I appreciate that.  And I just want to reach that level that I know I’m capable of.  I’ll get there!  I just want my “product” to be something that most can enjoy and be something I’m proud of.

It might be strange to say this, but I’m just constantly thinking about this, when I can.  Work is really frustrating me lately because it’s taking so much brainpower away from me that I’d much rather devote to streaming and such.  I just don’t get any satisfaction from the work I do.  And maybe that’s the story of 98% of the people in the world…

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, you said a bunch of sharp, funny shit that was also making solid points. It really is one of the all-time great episodes of the RobShow. I especially dug the way you started out with that central theme that every person has the capacity to be awesome, or to be shithouse, and you came back to it a couple of times, tying it into other points. For what’s essentially a 90 minute ramble it’s amazingly cohesive.

You said in one of the shows you love philosophy. You said right here you hate your job. You should consider doing some college courses in philosophy. Then do a degree in philosophy. Then do a doctorate in philosophy (I bet you could do your thesis on Lucasian/Jedi philosophy and its connection to various martial arts/Eastern philosophies). Then become a professor of philosophy. You’d be everyone’s favourite professor ever, I know it. Decades from now your students would still be talking about how Professor Michaels’ classes were the best and how some of your ideas changed their lives.

At the very least you know you’d have an audience.

rob
    rob
    Participant

It’s really funny you say that – I’ve definitely considered the idea of teaching, doing something along the lines of philosophy and/or sociology.  Of course, I bought into the idea back then that it would be a “useless degree”, and it’s also part of the reason why I didn’t finish college.  It just felt like I was getting a degree just because I would make more money, and that never really drove me.

Now it’s even weirder.  Having survived what I survived actually affirmed a lot of what I’d put myself through.  The whole idea of breaking your ego down into pieces and then building it back up, throwing away that which didn’t work anymore.  I feel like if I could focus on something, I could really help some folks – just haven’t found that vehicle yet.

I think if I were to become some sort of teacher, I’d have to navigate the politics in whatever college, and that sounds…horrible.  I don’t know.  Maybe I have to think more on that.

I listened to the whole show last night, just because I wanted to hear what you meant.  I hadn’t listened to it before I’d posted, and while I was talking, I wasn’t thinking about the cohesion or flow, it was just something that I had thought a lot about over the previous couple of days and weeks.  Now take all of that and put me in a place where I’m comfortable with few distractions.  I think more of them would be like that if I had that in place.

See, I can’t feel like I have the freedom to talk like that when April is here.  It’s not because of I’m afraid of her hearing what I’m saying, but there’s that feeling that someone’s going to distract you, or come in and ask a question or whatever, so it’s tough to feel that isolation that’s sort of conducive to having a clear, uninterrupted flow.

I’m really glad you enjoyed it though.  I’m really glad that it all worked and didn’t make me sound like a moron.

Octavious
    Octavious
    Participant

I always thought that your solo shows and now, the Twitch channel, was an extension of the Switched:ON show. Like Phil Collins doing the solo thing then came back together with Tony Banks & Mike Rutherford for Genesis. Guess who Jerry is? And I thought in a way, both your Twitch show and SOS was some of way of cross promotion.

It would be cool if your channel had a variety feel to it. Play the latest game, comment frame by frame with us about trailers and other stuff. Possibly, if you could with Twitch, upload a video version of your car show; Bucho would doing anything for that.

I agree that Thursday night was cool when Jerry and Bryan came on and we had fun. I know you guys can’t come together like you used to back in the day, but that was special. And I know Bucho is really jones’n for a SOS episode like me but I’m not running in a marathon nude.

As far as BF2, if it wasn’t for the story in the game, I would never have bought it. And I will wait for a long time before purchasing the next one. But Rob, your right, that game is about skill. Everyone should have all the equipment and the power ups and let the gamer; novice or professional compete. And getting killed right after you’ve been spawned has to stop; its bullshit. And the point system should be when you have enough, you purchase to play special levels, a bonus.

Anyway, keep you doing you. And by the way, it wasn’t me donating money to Dr. Disrespect. If I did, the money would go to you, and the name would be, The Pickle That Got Deep-Throated by Rob Michaels.

Crispy?!

rob
    rob
    Participant

I definitely need to do more video mini-shows, but they are definitely harder to set up, and that’s the beauty of the audio-only ones, just the sheer simplicity of it. But, making the Twitch channel more of a destination for all that sweet ass Rob content may be an idea.

It’s tough trying to get everyone on the same page with all the family stuff. And trust me, that’s not done, we just have to pick and choose out opportunities.

But yeah, that Thursday stream a couple weeks back is what made me realize that I was trying to stuff my whole persona into the typical game-y Twitch format instead of doing what I feel I’m good at, and that’s being an insane person who can interact with you guys. If I could come up with a good system to allow myself to be somewhat fluid in what I’m doing and talking about while even possibly have some of you guys come on to discuss things, I think it could be a lot of fun. I’m not going to quit playing games, but it’s not going to be the main focus. Still got to think all that out.

And man, Battlefront – I don’t know how to fix it at this point. I really want to play it, but it just makes me too ragey with all the weird BS going on.

And wow…I’ll look out for that name when I get the donate button added! That’s a deep cut there. But yeah, Ocatvious – you were there for almost every stream, and you’ve been here with us forever, so it just doesn’t get said enough: the support is always appreciated and amazing that someone likes all our craziness. Hopefully I can get things figured out and I can make you proud!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.