:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob’s Mini-Show – late Feb, Mar shows…

• Comments Off on Rob’s Mini-Show – late Feb, Mar shows…

Rob’s Mini-Show – late Feb, Mar shows…

Latest Replies Forums Solo Shows Rob’s Mini-Show – late Feb, Mar shows…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

It’s been a roller-coaster, and I haven’t gotten off yet. I still have some things to say, and hope these are entertaining. I think the second show is a bit more challenging – it’s about the shortcuts we take in our beliefs, so hope it’s not too offensive.

Direct Link: 20190226.mp3

Direct Link: 20190305.mp3

Direct Link: 20190311.mp3

Direct Link: 20190313.mp3

Octavious
    Octavious
    Participant

Downloading now.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I should mention – even though things have been a bit screwy, I’m in no danger, and surgery (according to my surgeon) is not being considered, so hopefully you all are not too worried. Lately, things have just been hard to get any sort of routine.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

FIIIIIIIIIIIINALLY

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Duuuuuuuuuuuude, when you got to the bit about your nephew getting sucked in by conspiracy theories my ears perked RIGHT up, I’ve been gearing up on that stuff myself just in case my own nephews end up down that goofy-ass path.

There’s so much potentially seductive and poisonous horseshit aimed at young, gullible white dudes right at the age at which they’re impressionable and looking for role models and heroes and direction.

It’d be real interesting to talk to Bryan about this stuff given his experience with his lads.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, I was watching Lawler vs Askren in a bar and EVERYONE jumped up and yelled “He’s out!!!” when Robbie’s arm dropped, seemingly limp. But Herb was right there and should’ve seen the thumbs up that wasn’t visible on the live TV shot.

What I loved though was how Robbie was FURIOUS for about 1.7 seconds, then he pretty much kissed and made up with Herb on the spot. It’s even funnier when you recall Robbie’s terrifying death stare as the announcements were made before the fight.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

It’s funny you mention that malarkey about mental shortcuts and pseudo science, I’ve been thinking a lot about climate change deniers lately and stumbled on this podcast called “You Are Not So Smart” about how our own psychology has evolved in ways that can actually end up not always working in our favour. I know you prefer comedy stuff but if you’re into thinking about how we think you might dig it.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Re: conspiracy theories and such…yeah, I just think it’s human nature to try to make sense of things. Like there’s a need to always have this grand explanation for things, when most of the time, Occam’s Razor, right? Especially when it’s something large and traumatic, we need an explanation, a reason, something for us to try to make sense of it. To me, it’s just something that you have to realize over time. Like now, I still believe there’s some weird stuff regarding 9/11 and there’s a lot of movement around all the parties involved with JFK/Oswald/Dallas. But then I’ve just come to the realization that even if there was, what can I do about it, and how does it affect me now? It’s just a big ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Askren/Lawler: The thing about this though, Robbie didn’t put up his hand until AFTER Herb shook his hand, being all lifeless and shit, and Herb was already in the process of stopping the fight. I think it’s just a bad set of circumstances, which I think was why Robbie was so cool about it (I get the feeling that dude’s pretty cool, anyway). It felt really similar to the Faber/whoever fight, where something really similar happened.

When it comes to the shortcuts – I might’ve been sorta heavy-handed on some of that, and I hope it was at least entertaining. I think I would find that interesting, because I also believe that some of the conclusions we come to about anything and everything can be flawed, because it’s based on our own subjective observations, which themselves can be tainted by our own personal biases. It’s really fascinating stuff if you can allow yourself to dig into it. It can also be incredibly frustrating because you can become extremely nihilistic if you get too far into it. Just a simple comment like “the sky is blue” could be dissected, like what if the color that I perceive to be blue is all jacked up and it’s really what the color orange is to other people, but I’ve just learned that it’s blue. Like how can you believe anything you see? It can be fun to dissect things like that, from colors all the way to politics and religion and race, but then I just got to the point (again with the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) where I just try not to be a douche nozzle and not treat people like something I found on the bottom of my shoe, and even further, that some people will NEVER think about that sort of thing, and if they’re perfectly content without that sort of knowledge and awareness, I should be content leaving them be.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

It was interesting hearing you bat back and forth the various devices you rate highly. The main thing that surprised me was you didn’t mention any vape equipment. Was that because you don’t consider any vape stuff Top 3 or because it slipped your mind to factor that in at the time?

rob
    rob
    Participant

Interesting that you say that. I think for me, personally, it hasn’t been that integral to my life or whatever, but it really could be. Think makes getting my nicotine at least 95% safer, right? And if it could save all those people from dying every year, then it really could be.

I guess maybe because it’s still relatively new tech and it’s just a way for me to get nicotine without smoking, I hadn’t thought about it. Like for me, although some look nice and were expensive, they’re sort of like a toaster or microwave in my mind, but maybe those really are the best devices.

How about you? Interesting to hear your ideas.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant
    • The Paslode IM350 framing nailer, my first electric/gas nailgun, freeing me from the tyranny of having to drag compressor hoses around a site
    • The Makita BTD140 impact driver, far noisier than a regular driver and therefore far better
    • My trusty old Panasonic HDC-HS9, the first HD camera I ever owned, on which I shot all my best sex tapes

It’s tough to choose a favourite phone since the latest is always the best, but I’ll always have a place in my heart for the S4. Dropped that bad boy a million times and the screen never smashed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.