:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob’s Mini-Show – I talk too much…

• Comments Off on Rob’s Mini-Show – I talk too much…

Rob’s Mini-Show – I talk too much…

Latest Replies Forums Solo Shows Rob’s Mini-Show – I talk too much…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by rob rob 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

I don’t even know what to say here. I talk about such a wide array of topics that it’s just too much to list. I need focus. The last one is a double-sized show, recording to AND from work, and I do remember that the last half is about the actors that Bucho had mentioned in the show topics thread. I discuss Bill Murray and John C Reilly a bit, and then I talk about some other charismatic actors.

Anyway, yeah…it’s a lot…

Direct Link: 20180504.mp3

Direct Link: 20180508.mp3

Direct Link: 20180509.mp3

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Heck yeah brother, going to listen to these with my entire being!

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I didn’t even know who Halifax was when you first brought him up, it just seemed like a funny idea to act like we hated him or were jealous of him or something when you were talking about how much you loved him that day. I got nothing against him in real life.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Oh, I get it.  I know that most of you guys (except maybe Newman) probably never even got on Twitch before.  I thought it was funny, too – like that unexpected, completely unnecessary anger towards something.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, aside from you and one other online buddy I just don’t make time for Twitch. You do make me want to check out more Halifax though. You, Bryan and Jerry have given me some of the hardest laughs of my entire life so I’m always curious about what makes you guys laugh.

You’ve told the story of you and the galpal/crush of your youth before but it was cool to hear it again. Took me back to some of my own trevails of the heart from back in the day. I gotta say there are some crappy things about being in one’s forties physically speaking, but I don’t think I’d swap the perspective I have now to go back to all that.

It’s funny that lead you into talking about the parent thing though, for some reason I got to thinking a couple of weeks ago about Luke Rockhold and his “I have the edge over Weidman because he’s a dad and I’m not” trip from a couple of years ago, which is a seductive thought if you look at how driven someone like GSP was able to be as a single man with no kids. But then you see that every single one of the 8 current male champions is a father, and if you look at the 5 GOATS – Aldo, Anderson, Fedor, Jones and GSP – 4/5 are dads. Even allowing for the fact that Stipe is a recent father and Jones seems like a shitty one, it’s hard not to conclude that Luke – who went on to be starched by Daddy Bisping and Daddy Yoel – was wide of the mark in his assessment of what fatherhood means to success in MMA. Hell, Rob Whitaker is the current king of Luke’s division and he has FIVE youngsters to support. In other sports you see guys like Messi and Ronaldo – both dads – achieving long-term dominance in football, Daddy Tom Brady dominating NFL for years etc.

I’m not a father myself and I doubt I ever will go down that track, and in a lot of ways I get where you’re coming from, but far too many of the people who have moved humanity forward and who are moving humanity forward are parents for me to go all-in with you on that one. In a lot of ways it could be argued that having so much more of a stake in the future acts as a driver to advance. I mean, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk and General Chuck Yeager had/have 17 kids between them. Surely that can’t be coincidence.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Bucho Bucho.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Bucho Bucho.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I 100% know what you’re saying about actors (not really) disappearing into roles. For me actors who truly disappear are VERY VERY VERY RARE, so I don’t really even consider that metric.  Even the Greats who have impressive range like Streep, Del Toro, Deniro, Pacino, Blanchett, Theron, Day-Lewis, Oldman, Fassbender, Hardy etc. never really disappear for me.

So to me what makes a great actor is simply how well you can make me believe in your character, and most importantly, how well you can make me FEEL for your character. Murray and Reilly are two of the best there has ever been when it comes to that skill. It’s not that we forget they’re who they are, it’s that they bring their characters to life better than almost anyone else who’s ever done it. In fact part of the reason Murray is so powerful at it is that he doesn’t do a lot. The likes of Day-Lewis and Streep and Pacino, who often go so BIG, often leave me at arm’s length precisely because they try to get so far away from playing “regular” folks. And it’s not that I don’t salute them for swinging for the fences, it’s simply that the finished product of one of their hugely mannered roles often leaves less of an impression than Bill Murray just being Bill Murray saying nothing.

Meanwhile, the fact you’re so late on Donald Glover tells me you haven’t been watching Atlanta – the greatest show on TV over the last couple of years. This dude is a FORCE and you are a fool if you’re not watching his beautifully shot, wonderfully written, just-the-right-amount-of-bonkers show.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

You used to work with THESE guys?

rob
    rob
    Participant

Regarding the Game Chasers…yes. I know those guys. Met and hung out with all of them. Lost touch for a few years, but yeah.

Atlanta: yep, I need to watch that. I definitely am hungering for new stuff on TV to watch, so yeah…

Re: THAT girl, yeah, I know exactly what you mean by not switching places. There are chances I would’ve liked to have taken, but overall, I wouldn’t be the same dude now.

Re: the dad talk…honestly not sure what I said about being a parent…? Yeah, I know that’s no shocker, but these are sometimes so off the cuff and sort of stream of consciousness that I can’t remember what I was talking about and what you’re replying to…

rob
    rob
    Participant

Oh, and Halifax…the dude is just so dry but also really and truly thankful for his success. He just seems like a good dude all around, and that’s rare in “Internet personalities”. I personally really dig his sense of humor.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

HA! I was just watching the Game Chasers TLJ reaction video. It’d be super fun to see you and them hash it out.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Funny you posted that.  I sort of have a reaction show for that…wish I would’ve seen it earlier.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

It’s ok, do one pre seeing it and another one after! More Rob Star Wars chat for us!

rob
    rob
    Participant

No – I meant that I wish I would’ve seen it closer to the actual release of the movie.  I’d watched that Thursday night and then made the show Friday on the way to work.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.