:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob’s Mini-Show – 20181212 – 20181221

• Comments Off on Rob’s Mini-Show – 20181212 – 20181221

Rob’s Mini-Show – 20181212 – 20181221

Latest Replies Forums Solo Shows Rob’s Mini-Show – 20181212 – 20181221

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Octavious Octavious 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

I know that I’m late, but I kept recording stuff, so hope you’re not too disappointed. And I’d love to tell you that these are all like, topical AF, but shit, man…you know me. I’m super all over the place. So perfectly normal.

Hope the enjoyment is at peak level, or at least not boring, and please enjoy the holidays as you see fit!

Direct Link: 20181212.mp3

Direct Link: 20181213.mp3

Direct Link: 20181214.mp3

Direct Link: 20181217.mp3

Direct Link: 20181218.mp3

Direct Link: 20181221.mp3

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Heck yeah!!!

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

As far as you and offensiveness goes, I don’t remember ever thinking you were racist or homophobic or whatever, either on Switched ON or on your solo show. Even with the most borderline stuff, like Paw-Paw or the Butt Cancer bit, it never felt like it was coming from any kind of dark place. The main thing that’s weird to me when it comes to things like the “problematic” tweets of like Kevin Hart or James Gunn is why the hell they left them up there in public after already acknowledging in the past that they were problematic. Like, if you recognize the damage they could do to the vulnerable psyche of some young gay kid who comes across them, why the hell didn’t you delete them?

As for Cowboy Bebop, I’m glad you gave it a shot with the performances of the original Japanese actors and that you get the difference. Over the years I’ve found myself in a minority of English-speaking fans when it comes to the sub vs dub of Cowboy Bebop, and I’ve always assumed it was because I was already an adult when I first saw the show, since the English dub feels more broad, and goofy and kid-oriented.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I wonder if our “offensive” stuff would be more offensive if we’d put out fewer shows.  Like if you guys didn’t know us as well as you do, then maybe it would come off worse…?

and Bebop – haven’t finished it yet, but I’m really enjoying most of it.  There are some head scratchers though – like the circus one was strange!

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I think that’s part of the way the show plays with genre like you mentioned. The show is kind of a cinema fan’s dream not just in the way that the “cinematography” and editing are orders of magnitude more sophisticated than the average TV show (especially back in 1998) but because it weaves so much homage and so many references to other films into both its overall arc and the separate arcs of each episode, and that extends even to some of the stranger stuff, like French New Wave.

If you want to check out more Shinichiro Watanabe when you get to the end of Cowboy Bebop I’d be curious to get your take on Samurai Champloo too. I haven’t seen much anime, but I like this guy’s style quite a dang bit. Also, I don’t know if you watched all the Blade Runner 2049 short films, but Watanabe was one of the filmmakers asked to make one:

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Bucho Bucho.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

1218 episode from about 38:13 to about 40:50 is cuh-lassic Rob. Fun voices, conversation with imaginary responder, flight of fancy involving an alien. All the best things.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I was the same as April when it came to wanting to watch Wonder Woman without having seen Justice League or Batman vs Superman. Mostly that was because I’ve found the majority of Zack Snyder movies to be kind of tone deaf and overall pretty boring. I hear Affleck’s version of Batman is pretty good though, so I probably will watch them at some point.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Rob. Where’s the link to the “You better watch out You better watch out You better watch out You better watch out You better watch out You better watch out” video?

Octavious
    Octavious
    Participant

rob
    rob
    Participant

I did see the BR 2049 shorts, but had no idea that it was the Bebop dude.

That section you mention that was classic…man, that was strange. Sometimes it’s a wonder I’m not in an institution.

BvS is definitely worth a watch, as long as it’s the extended. I hadn’t seen the theatrical, but I heard it was so truncated that it was almost unintelligible.

Oh…and here’s the Santa Pez video. I don’t know why I love the most annoying shit.

Octavious
    Octavious
    Participant

You mentioned in show 20181218 about auto-stop when the car is at a light. I don’t have a car that has that but that would annoy the shit out of me.

I wish there was an auto-shut-the-fuck-up when people start taking.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.