:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob’s Mini-Show – 20181023 and 20181030

• Comments Off on Rob’s Mini-Show – 20181023 and 20181030

Rob’s Mini-Show – 20181023 and 20181030

Latest Replies Forums Solo Shows Rob’s Mini-Show – 20181023 and 20181030

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

So more shows! Gotta say, work has been doing a number on me. So tired all the time, that it’s hard to want to record. The first show is me talking about some of that stuff, not sure how interesting that is. The second I talk about some Mandolorian, some UFC talk, and then I do the Bucho request of me doing commentary over my music. Not sure how annoying that is, but it’s there!

Enjoy!

Direct Link: 20181023.mp3

Direct Link: 20181030.mp3

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

To quote The Great Rod Stewart, “Have I told … you lately that I love you?

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Octavious
    Octavious
    Participant

Thank you Rob. Bucho was ready to call monk monasteries and ask for Crispy McButter Pants to find you.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I had actually already called them a couple of days ago but I didn’t want to say anything on here in case it alarmed anybody else.

Meanwhile, I 1138% get where you’re coming from with the feeling you want to use your powers to help folks who need it Robby, and kick soul into gear while you’re at it. Like you say, it always comes back to Star Wars, and the way I look at it is that if you’re in the position we are – where we’ve worked and/or lucked ourselves into some pretty fortunate positions in life – it really does come with maybe the best type of power anyone can ever have (I mean aside from invisibility or x-ray vision obviously) which is the power to make someone else’s day better. Because at the end of the day of course that’s what makes Luke or Supe or Spidey or Lou Ferrigno a Big Goddamn Hero – not the powers themselves but what they do with them, and lucky sumbitches like us have the power to make the world a better place for a few people who’ve found themselves with life on top of them.

I reckon what you said about maybe starting out doing something a couple of times a month is a smart way to start out too. The thing about living in big cities like we do is there are numerous organizations who need volunteers to put in a shift and can often accommodate something like a once-a-month or once-a-fortnight type deal. Once you’ve launched into hero mode you can navigate from there.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Crispy?

Gotta be honest – I guess what I was talking about was doing something worthwhile, I guess?  Right now, volunteering is something I could be into, but what I really want is a job that I can sink my teeth into.  Like, make some money, help some folks – good shit.

I really don’t know what I was talking about for certain, but I do agree with a lot of what you said.  I think the power to heal would be awesome (coming from ol’ no-colon-having-mahfucker over here), but also, c’mon, flight?  Shit, I’d just be flying people around for fat stacks of cash just trying not to get hit by a Cessna or some flock of seagulls, you know?

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I kind of get where you’re coming from regarding the MMA Hour, and how long it is, but for me it’s never been a show to sit and watch as if it was a TV show, for me it’s always been a podcast primarily and video secondarily, in that – as with all podcasts – it’s always something I listen to while I’m doing something else. I don’t lose 4 hours while watching it, because I get 3 hours and 40 minutes worth of shit done while listening to it.

If I happen to be at my desk while I’m listening to it then I have the video on in a small window in a corner of one of my screens and I might glance at it every few minutes, but for 90% of each show there’s nothing to look at except Ariel’s goofy mug anyway, and for all his charms he’s (1.) not doing anything comedic and (2.) no oil painting, so you miss nothing worth a damn about the show by not watching him yap anyway, and the same goes for the guests who skype in. Same goes for Rogan or any other show with video content I pay attention to except you guys, since you guys are the only comedy show with video I pay attention to and comedy is enhanced by facial expressions and body language and all that malarkey.

As for trying to just watch fights as skill vs skill, and trying to keep emotion out of it, I get that too, but I also regard the sport – all sport, but especially martial arts – as an expression of personality. That’s the ART part of martial arts, right? Every athlete says their sport is 10% physical, 90% mental, because the actual body movements are simply a function of what’s going on in their heart and in their mind during the contest, and for me getting to know the people who are entering the contest to some extent only enhances that. All sport is physicality on its surface and drama at its core – we’re watching a narrative of struggle play out in front of us every time we watch a contest of any kind – so the purest way to understand it is to understand the characters. GSP is probably the prime example of this, with how open he’s been about his state of mind and dealing with the fear and pressure of failure even while he built a legacy of greatness. For me knowing all that only ramps up what I get out of watching him do his thing in the Octagon.

I like your thing about Dominic Cruz though, and I do get not wanting to bring that extra emotional dimension into how you engage with the sport when work is wringing you out so badly and you just want to chill the eff out when you get away from the office.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Crispy? Gotta be honest – I guess what I was talking about was doing something worthwhile, I guess? Right now, volunteering is something I could be into, but what I really want is a job that I can sink my teeth into. Like, make some money, help some folks – good shit. I really don’t know what I was talking about for certain, but I do agree with a lot of what you said. I think the power to heal would be awesome (coming from ol’ no-colon-having-mahfucker over here), but also, c’mon, flight? Shit, I’d just be flying people around for fat stacks of cash just trying not to get hit by a Cessna or some flock of seagulls, you know?

Yeah, most of what you were talking about was changing jobs, but there was one bit – unless I misunderstood – where you talked about doing something more like what I mentioned. I was also coming at it from hearing you talk about how the money is good for what you do now, so if you don’t want to give that up but you still want to start to wield the power you have to put good into the lives of peeps who are carrying heavier loads than the average bear, then there’s a whole bunch of options out there for you.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

And now I just got to the bit where you’re doing song commentary and it’s really good stuff man, I don’t know if your “I Only Listen To Bill Burr” ass ever heard a show called Song Exploder, but I always enjoy listening to these kinds of breakdowns.

What are the chances we can get Jerry to do something like this too?

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Here’s Trent on Song Exploder by the way https://beta.prx.org/stories/222351

rob
    rob
    Participant

Whoa, I need to listen to that!  Weird though – over the last few EPs, there’s only been one song that really stuck with me, and that’s “Less Than”.  Maybe I’m too simple and most of their recent stuff has been more cerebral.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I don’t know if it’s that weird, I think with even highly respected artists it’s rare that they continue to connect with their fans for long periods of time in the same way they always did, especially more experimental ones like a Trent or a Radiohead or an REM (as opposed to a super consistent, great but unadventurous party band like, say,  ACDC). Even with The Rolling Stones, probably the hugest band of all time, nobody goes to their shows to see them play stuff off Voodoo Lounge or Bridges to Babylon.

Anyway, it was cool to hear you go through some of your tunes/experiments and hear some of what went into creating them. And I remembered Ambulo from an episode of Switched ON, because I’m hardcore AF.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.