June 19, 2018 at 8:23 pm #65360
robParticipantJune 26, 2018 at 2:15 pm #65365
Rob! Thanks for doing these two! Sorry it took so long to get to them, every 4 years since 1982 the World Cup has been a tractor beam for my attention so I’ve been hijacked by it for the last couple of weeks.
- You should know by now you never need to apologise for mulling over your hardcore illness out loud. I get something out of it every time you do, but more importantly it seems to help you process the whole crazy, frustrating deal.
- I’m with you on almost none of the shows we watched as kids holding up now. Ironically Cheers is the only one which really does, probably because, like you said, it was the more adult 9f the comedies compared to other fun shows like Night Court. MASH is the only other one from back then I can still watch, but even back then it was reruns for us.
- Did you watch Cowboy Bebop with subs or dubs?
- We never had SNL on NZ screens when I was a kid so I’ve only ever seen it through adult lenses but having listened to a million Americans on podcasts – mostly comedy – talk about it over the past 13 years it’s always fascinating to me. My exposure was always via films – Blues Brothers, Wayne’s World, Austin Powers etc.
- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.June 26, 2018 at 6:27 pm #65366
That’s interesting about the SNL. Didn’t know that was more of an American thing, but yeah, guess that’s what the internet has done for us, sorta broadened our horizons and exposed us to stuff we hadn’t before.
Re: the Bebops, I’d only watched the dubs, because when I’d decided to buy the stuff, what had gotten my attention was an article talking about how the dubs for Bebop were better than almost any other. Weird considering how much of a purist I am regarding anything foreign (subs all the way!)
I get it about the Cup. I like watching it too, but just hadn’t made a whole lot of time for any sports lately save the UFC, but even that hasn’t been a big focus for me lately.
Wouldn’t you know it though, I can’t quit talking about Star Wars. My next two are still rather rambly, but there’s a lot of Star Wars in ‘em. They’ll be up shortly.June 27, 2018 at 1:42 am #65368
Hmmm, I see where you went wrong now and frankly I blame myself for not warning you to ignore any dipshit who claims that the Cowboy Bebop dub is really worth a dang. The show is vastly superior with the original Japanese voice actors.
The dub is apparently beloved by many anime fans who first saw the series as children because (1) they were children who didn’t know any better and there’s a nostalgia factor and (2) anime fans have been so beaten down by dubs which are abysmal horseshit that when one comes along which is halfway competent they fall madly in love with it. For peeps like me though, who generally dislike anime and were already post-adolescent when we first saw it, the original Japanese voices are infinitely superior. The original tone of the show – for Spike and Jet especially – is more understated, laconic, dangerous Clint Eastwood/Harrison Ford/Bruce Lee vibe while the dubbed version of the show is more cheesy, corny, goofy, over-acted Bonanza/Back To The Future III.
Bring on the new Star Wars episodes of Hey Everybody It’s The Rob Show With Rob though, I never, ever, ever get tired of them.
- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.June 27, 2018 at 3:03 am #65369
Actually a better way to explain the difference between the original and dub voices is the originals sound like actors, the dubs sound like “voice actors”. So the dub comes across like an above-average Saturday morning cartoon and the original comes across like Firefly, but cooler.
I’d love to ask Rian Johnson which version he prefers, cause that dude is a big fan.
- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.