:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob’s Mini-Show – 20180216 and 20180220

• Comments Off on Rob’s Mini-Show – 20180216 and 20180220

Rob’s Mini-Show – 20180216 and 20180220

Latest Replies Forums Solo Shows Rob’s Mini-Show – 20180216 and 20180220

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

First one is me discussing the Solo trailer. Sort of a short one.

Second is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Driving home in the rain being all pissed off and shit. I review a few movies that aren’t like, super popular. Listen and enjoy or else.

Direct Link: 20180216.mp3

Direct Link: 20180220.mp3

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Good!

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Octavious
    Octavious
    Participant

Jesus Christ on a cracker! As I was cleaning the dishes, I thought,  I need some of that Rob Michaels.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

It’s funny what you say about having trouble buying John Goodman as anything other than a teddy bear – I’m with you he can be super lovable, but I find he’s one of the best actors on the planet at projecting legit menace.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Bucho Bucho.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Bucho Bucho.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

C’moooooooooon Robby, how is your thing about “Vader should have killed the Rogue One heroes” thing not 1138% against your “review the movie in front of you, not the one you wished was in front of you” thing?

How is “It was a missed opportunity” not just another way of saying for “Here’s what I wished I saw instead of what I saw”?

And while we’re at it, how is “I hated the Spielberg/Bay Transformers because I wanted to see a movie where Optimus Prime and Bumble Bee are the main characters instead of a classic Spielbergian ordinary-young-person-finds-themselves-in-a-situation-of-otherworldly-wonder” not the same deal?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

rob
    rob
    Participant

I thought I’d addressed that…?  Maybe I did before, maybe I’d already done that in my head…

With Rogue One, like I said, I still like the movie, but I still feel that for the sake of a complete arc, the idea that Vader slaughters a hallway of nobodies instead of completing the characters’ journies seems like a missed opportunity.  Judged on its own merits (and not what could’ve been), it still works okay, I just feel like the emotional impact could’ve been amped up if that had been shifted a bit.  Like, when the movie is over, I thought less about the team’s sacrifice because it was slightly overshadowed by the fact that the “story” just moved on.  The tone shifted away from our “heroes” too quickly.  I think it’s that uneven quality of the movie that I have a problem with – like, it feels less crafted, slightly unfinished and a bit rough around the edges.

I feel like I’d said it before – even after viewing the Transformers movies taking off my kid-with-too-much-lore-in-his-head helmet, I still don’t think any of the movies work, no matter if you’re looking for the coming of age story or the allegory of a boy finding his dick or just pure sci-fi.  And, WAY too slow and plodding if it’s just a thrill-ride.  Or, I’m just not in the target audience, so it doesn’t work for me.

When it comes down to it, I’m still guilty of the “what if’s”, but the goal is too try to view them on their own merits.  Talking about how things could’ve been to be better is just part of it, but many seem to lose sight of that goal and get stuck on the what could’ve beens.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, that’s fair enough, I get you now. Maybe because I don’t read the Star Wars Reddits I don’t quite get what type of argument you’re addressing sometimes.

For all the things we agree on though I doubt I’m never going to get why you reckon Vader creeeeeeeeeeeeeepily executing Jyn and Cassian is the way to fix what doesn’t quite work about the end of Rogue One, but then it did take me 3 or 4 viewings before I properly got Jyn, so I get why many folks don’t have anywhere near as much affection for her and Cassian as they do for insta-adorable Force Awakens heroes.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Bucho Bucho.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I just pictured a scene where they just barely get off of Scarif, then they’re in the hallway being congratulated by the other nobodies but then the alarms start going off. They hear a transmission talking about some crazy guy dressed in black then it cuts off, they look at each other all scared, and then Vader lights his saber at the end of the hallway, they all start shooting and all of them are trying to get the door open and Vader just wipes them out. Jyn’s the one that is taken out through the door.

It serves many purposes: shows the badassness of Vader, gives the audience a false sense that they made it and are all gonna survive (or, you know, suspense and drama), and it shows people seeing a Star Wars movie for the first time why this shit’s so awesome. Vader’s the best villain of all time, and taking out R1’s heroes elevates them all as well. I mean, can you imagine how many people who have never seen Star Wars before having the rug pulled out from under them like that?

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

You know I love you with the fire of literally a hundred thousand suns but this sounds even worse than the first time you cooked it up you mad man. I meeeeeean, given how many times I’ve posted “Yep, agree almost totally with you on that one Robby” with regards to movie stuff, and given that one of the hooks way back in the day was how much you and the lads loved Star Wars, it’s literally flabbergasting to me how diametrically opposed we are on this one. I meeeeeeean, I honestly don’t recall the last time my flabber was this gasted.

Like being slaughtered by Vader somehow elevates a character? Like it’s some kind of an honour to be annihilated by him? And Vader stabbing a tiny girl through a door somehow shows his badassness while honouring her? And a scene in which our heroes die in terror rather than in glory even comes close to showing “people seeing a Star Wars movie for the first time why this shit’s so awesome“?

I don’t know where you get your delusions laser brain.

If you really want to accomplish those things, and are a world class screenwriter like myself, you do the equivalent of that hallway scene around the end of the second act instead of post-climax, re-establishing Vader as fearsomely formidable and all that guff. Then in the climax instead of having Baze, Chirrut and K2SO go out against anonymous goons you have them go out performing an heroic rearguard stalling action against Vader in order to let Jyn and Cassian get away to transmit the plans, so we see Vader contending with this kung fu genius at the same time as he has to deal with Baze’s back-mounted cannon at the same time as he has to deal with whatever firepower K2SO can bring to bear, but after killing Baze, Chirrut and K2SO it’s taken long enough that Tarkin decides the only way to be sure is to nuke the site from orbit, so he orders Vader to get off the planet immediately.

Jyn and Cassian go on to transmit the plans, go out in a victorious blaze of glory and we cut immediately to Leia receiving the plans and doing her hope thing.

Now THAT is Star Wars my friend.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Look, I know one of the big points of R1 is to show the fragility of war, and how small moves can contribute to the success of failure of a mission.  The issue for me is that the characters are thin enough as they are – killing them off without little fanfare just makes them even more forgettable.  If that’s what they were going for, I guess they succeeded.  “Oh, look, that pilot dude is doing…something with the signal?  Right?  What’s his name?  Oh, he’s dead.”

I dunno, I just remember many saying that the Vader scene was like something out of a horror movie.  I just thought of amping that angle of it up.

I can’t figure out what could’ve made it better for me – I guess that the whole idea of the movie just isn’t as interesting to me as a movie.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

You consider being stabbed through a door to be more “fanfare” than embracing on a beach as THE ACTUAL DEATH STAR – the destruction of which will eventually be a result of their epic and extraordinary sacrifice – SENDS A TSUNAMI OF PLANET to end them? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU VAPING ROBBY?!?

Seriously though, I mostly get why folks prefer Rey and Finn to Jyn and Cassian. Given the rich backgrounds and motivations of both Jyn and Cassian they’re far more intriguing characters on paper than the naive, mostly blank slates of Rey and Finn, but even though they’re generally better actors Jones and Luna just aren’t blessed with enough star wattage to compete with Ridley and Boyega. I can’t think of too many people in the game who are better at casting than JJ and he struck gold (again) with those two.

But like I said earlier, I really did connect with Jyn the 3rd or 4th time I watched Rogue One. It’s also still the one of the new three which feels the most like Star Wars to me in terms of world-building and production design.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Yeah, but it’s the daring escape and false sense of security that I like the idea of.  Think of the feel of the original Alien.  She barely gets off the Nostromo before it explodes and she’s starting to wind down when the Alien makes its presence known and the drama and suspense get ramped up again.  I dunno.

There’s something missing from the death scenes.  Like, K2SO and Chirrut are the only ones where I felt something.

I also had it in my head before the movie came out that Vader doing the killing would make him more of a badass.  He’s not just killing random people – he’s killing the protagonists of the movie!  The way it is now, it’s just like…oh, okay. So they’re dead.  Like, the minute that they killed K2SO, I was like, oh, ok, they’re gonna kill all of them.  If they had been killed by Vader, the surprise or realization that they were all going to die would’ve been delayed until Vader started wiping people out, like they’ve still got a chance, oh maybe, nope, Vader’s making his way through all of them.  Seems like it could’ve been pretty tense with the main characters on the line.

When it really comes down to it, holy crap, they killed the main characters off, and it takes a whole lot of guts to do that.  I just wish it made me feel something when it happened.  I’m not saying that my ideas could have worked out any better, but to me it seems like a wasted opportunity.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

False sense of security where the hero still wins is WILDLY different in tone from false sense of security where the hero gets waxed though.

I mean, can you think of a family movie which actually does the second thing?

As to the rest, I don’t know what else to tell you. While some of it felt somewhat cold the first couple of times I watched the film, by now I feel for Jyn, Cassian and Baze as well as Chirrut and K2S0. I also love the way that mad bastard Saw Gererra goes out. But then I also feel for Porkins and Rose’s sister and The Rancor Keeper. I’m a big sook like that.

Ben
    Ben
    Participant

*barges in between Robbie and Bucho*

Still waiting for an RSS feed, catching up on shows I forgot in my rotation

*Notices heated debate ongoing and slowly backs out of room*

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Ha! I didn’t even think it was that heated. I guess I did use a bunch of caps though.

It’s just intriguing to me how polarized we are on this idea of Vader killing Jyn and Cassian given that we’re normally at least close to being on the same wavelength with movie stuff. With other movie stuff we disagree on – like whether or not the first Bay Transformers film is worth a dang or whether Mark Wahlberg has any charms at all outside of the confines of Boogie Nights – I can at least see where Robby’s coming from in some respects, but this one I can’t wrap my head round at all.

There is hope though. Robby’s preaching his love for the prequels is one of the reasons I re-evaluated them and enjoy them a lot more these days than I used to.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.