:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Rob's Mini-Show – 20170912

• Comments Off on Rob's Mini-Show – 20170912

Rob's Mini-Show – 20170912

Latest Replies Forums Solo Shows Rob's Mini-Show – 20170912

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Version3 Version3 5 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rob
    rob
    Participant

In this gripping episode, I talk more about the whole streaming thing, and then I briefly discuss what I think about the news today about JJ Abrams taking up the reins for Episode IX. I also yell at people and call them names for no reason. So yeah, typical.

Direct Link: 20170912.mp3

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yelling at people AND calling them names for no reason?

Rob … you know it’s not my birthday for another 9 months right?

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

The Rob Squad
    The Idiot Brigade
    The Idiocracy
    The Robbers

I don’t know Robby, I’m better at band names than fandom ones.

What were the supporters of those other Twitchers called again? I remember one was “The 42nd” but can’t think of the others.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Dr Disrespect’s subs are called “The Slick Daddy Club”. Anthony Kongphan’s subs are called ninjas, but there’s not really a name for “joining the club” or anything like that. Viss’ subs are called “The Wolf Pack”. All of them are kinda meh to me, but Dr Disrespect has a ton of cool logos and stuff, so it makes for some cool looking shirts.

Maybe it’ll just happen organically, like they’ll start calling themselves something and it’ll stick. Totally not something I need to worry about on day 1. Not like I’m gonna have more than 10 subs by the end of the year, anyway.

Take a look at the Doc’s shirts – some cool frickin’ designs.

https://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/DrDisRespect/

rob
    rob
    Participant

The one thing I keep thinking about is that robtheidiot is kind of funny and catchy, but it doesn’t translate well to a logo on a stream or a T-shirt. So yeah, I’m also thinking about possibly changing that. So many thoughts!

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Ninjas and Wolf Pack are very generic, but The Slick Daddy Club seems like pretty sharp personalized branding.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

Don’t try to overthink this stuff. You can’t entirely predict what clicks with the masses, and certainly can’t plan everything around this concept of what branding is (it’s only a very very small part of it). Honestly if you called them “Brainless Meatbags” and they enjoyed your stream, they would happily call themselves “Brainless Meatbags” to self-identify… even if they treated it like a joke every time.

Being all serious for a moment, people most often think that branding is really just about the name, the logo and popularity… and it’s not totally wrong, but may as well be. Nike doesn’t mean a fucking thing, and neither does Google. While the “swoosh” is recognizable, it also doesn’t mean anything that people identify with, other than the brand… and Google’s primary colors certainly don’t have specific meaning either. The brand is about consistent messaging, personality and developing meaning around the product/service/line/personality/company/whatever. The popularity is a result of that and if you manage to communicate what the product/service/line/personality/company/whatever stands for or means, the meaning people attach to your brand will reinforce is making it synomous with whatever elements exist for that brand be it names, logos, catch phrases or whatever. Doh! is branding. It’s stellar branding, and it doesn’t come with a color, a symbol, or anything. But chances are, not only do you know the brand that owns that, you probably read it in the voice too. That’s branding.

All that said, “RobtheIdiot” is a great place to start. It’s consistent with how you do and will express yourself “I have all of these things to say, and I’m going to be really passionate about it, but I’ll be about 10-15% dismissive of myself at the end of it all by saying ‘who am I’, ‘what do I know’ or whatever”. It also says that you realize anything you do while part of who you are, or the personna you will choose has a degree of silliness that will be dismissed by some as just being an idiot. It also gives you space to to be great at it, suck at it or any degree of fumbling between. It’s a very good place to start.

Logo? Don’t worry about it. Is it really essential? Do you need it day one? Do you really need to plan for it? Nope… because it’s just going to reinforce a brand that you already own by being who you are. That said, your goofy head making a silly expression converted to some kind of line art would be a good place to start (think about that old wallpaper you used to have with the VW + Apple = Rob head on it).

As far as what followers will want to be called, or are willing to call themselves. They’ll probably just call themselves fellow idiots, or idiots or something organic will come of it. But as you don’t need that stuff until there is a group big enough to label, you are best off letting that happen organically, be it by your own word one day when you refer to the group, or by early feedback giving itself a label.

Just don’t try to dictate it, get out of it’s way.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Funny, I’ve had all of those thoughts – like, quit getting ahead of yourself, you know? The more I thought about it, the more I’ve come back around to liking it again. Like, everyone’s an idiot to someone. Except maybe Carl Sagan – but he’s dead, so what does he care?

But I was talking to John about it, and he started laughing. Feeling like I’d missed something, he had to explain to me that he thought it was crazy (being the old codger that he is) that people would pay anything to watch somebody play a game, and that he thought of my name as a verb, so I’d be “robbing the idiots”. I mean, holy shit, how genius is that? I’m totally going with that.

Then I thought up a shirt idea – something really crazy or intricate as the background, like the Fibonacci sequence or something, and in the foreground in very old timey, like old British font or something, “Yes, I’m an Idiot”. I’d wear the fuck out of that shirt.

So yeah, I’m getting myself all worked up and shit. Computer can’t get here soon enough.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, you did mention in the episode that maybe it’d be better to let it develop organically Rob, so you two are pretty close to being on the same page already.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

I can spell page. So there’s that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.