:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Quick Questions : Usenet

• Comments Off on Quick Questions : Usenet

Quick Questions : Usenet

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Quick Questions : Usenet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BSherrod
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about newsgroups or usenet because I’ve heard thats its a great way to download music and movies, etc. If nobody can help I’ll stick to my torrents.

djohnson
    Participant

It’s great in that it’s untraceable, unlike torrents. It’s not so great in that you can’t just go in there and get what you want all the time. You have to kind of grab stuff as it flys by if it looks interesting.

If you decide to experiment with newsgroups, you’re going to want to subscribe to a service. I was subscribed until recently to easynews and their service is fantastic. I would recommend them highly. I paid $10 a month, but they have other plans available.

If you’re on Windows, head over to daansystems.com and buy a copy of NewsReactor. It costs around $15, but its WELL worth the cost. You get upgrades for free for ever once you buy. You can also download a trial version.

Unfortunately, there aren’t any decent news readers for the Mac. The only one that people seem to use if Thoth, but it’s not beign made any more and I had a hard time figuring out how to use it.

rob
    Participant

Sorry, Brandon — I kept meaning to come back and reply about this…

Unison for Mac is pretty good. It works a lot like NewsBin on Windows (that was my newsreader of choice). Brandon, check to see if your ISP offers free Usenet access — I know with Comcast, for example, they limited you to 3 GB a month, not counting headers, so it was a pretty good deal. Any more questions, let us know!

djohnson
    Participant

Does Comcast have decent retention in the bin newsgroups? I have Comcast, so I may have to give them a try. Do you know if you can access their news servers from outside their network?

rob
    Participant

Yes, they do have good retention, and no, you can’t access them outside the network. I was always pretty pleased with them. You really could blow through 3 gb in one sitting if you’re not careful, but ever since bittorrent really started catching on, I haven’t used newsgroups very much at all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.