:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Question (for Bryan I guess)

• Comments Off on Question (for Bryan I guess)

Question (for Bryan I guess)

Latest Replies Forums The Orange Lounge Question (for Bryan I guess)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    El Rustirino
    Participant

I guess it would have been a good idea to ask this earlier, but whatever.

I’m looking to set up my recording setup (haha), and I want to figure out what’s good, what’s not, what I need to do x thing, etc. So, what did you use to record the show? Everything, Mics and Headphones, Mixers, software, etc. I’ve always wondered, but now I can put it to use. I’d also like to know how you got things like Skype, iTunes, the keyboard, etc, to record onto the track. Thanks

Version3
    Keymaster

Well, first I have a question back. What do you need to hook up?

We had a few different mics (the whole equipment list down to the model if on this site a few times), but basically they are decent stage quality XLR microphones. We have an Alesis FireWire Multi-Mix 8 (thanks to Jerry) that takes 4 of those XLR inputs, and has a few stereo channels for other stuff. We like this, because FireWire to the computer would have given us a lot of choices, we just never used them.

To get audio out of the computer, we just used the headphone out to a RCA splitter, and dumped that into one of the stereo tracks (dual mono tracks). To get audio into the computer, we used a stereo output for effects (effects out) and ran that to the line in on the computer. This can get your weird echo stuff… but using the effects out allows us to fix that. We simply don’t output the stereo computer tracks to the effects out. -So people don’t hear themselves.

I can make a lot of recommendations, but we’d really know what your setup needs to be, and what it needs to support.

El Rustirino
    Participant

Basically, I’m gonna have a set up in my bomb shelter for me and friends to record a show. I’m kinda setting everything up, so I need to be able to record, and make the audio from the computer go into the recording. Effects are optional. And the cheapest stuff would be fine, basically the cheapest good-quality stuff. It doesn’t need to sound extra amazing, it just needs to sound okay. I’ll never have more than three Mics going.

Is that enough?

rob
    Participant

Does the audio equipment need to be bombproof?

I know, I’m an idiot.

El Rustirino
    Participant

Yeah, cause we’re always getting that crazy nuclear warfare here in Cali.

Pa-ul
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    Does the audio equipment need to be bombproof?

Rustyproof, same meaning. 😆

Joking

If it doesn’t work, jam a screwdriver in there and jiggle it about.

thx_1227
    Participant
    Version3 wrote:
    Well, first I have a question back. What do you need to hook up?

We had a few different mics (the whole equipment list down to the model if on this site a few times), but basically they are decent stage quality XLR microphones. We have an Alesis FireWire Multi-Mix 8 (thanks to Jerry) that takes 4 of those XLR inputs, and has a few stereo channels for other stuff. We like this, because FireWire to the computer would have given us a lot of choices, we just never used them.

To get audio out of the computer, we just used the headphone out to a RCA splitter, and dumped that into one of the stereo tracks (dual mono tracks). To get audio into the computer, we used a stereo output for effects (effects out) and ran that to the line in on the computer. This can get your weird echo stuff… but using the effects out allows us to fix that. We simply don’t output the stereo computer tracks to the effects out. -So people don’t hear themselves.

I can make a lot of recommendations, but we’d really know what your setup needs to be, and what it needs to support.

Hmmm, it never occured to me to use the Aux out to avoid Skype looping. Thanks for the tip…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.