:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Pink Floyd anyone…?

• Comments Off on Pink Floyd anyone…?

Pink Floyd anyone…?

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Pink Floyd anyone…?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

I could be considered a casual fan, of sorts — many might say that you have to be high to really “get it”, but some might say the more evolved can enter that state of vulnerability and openness without having to partake in the “wacky weed”.

Anyway, I like Pink Floyd quite a lot, and I’ve been stretching my legs a bit, watching David Gilmour’s recent Remember that Night DVD, and it’s good shit. I highly recommend it if you’re a big fan of the Pink..

El Rustirino
    Participant

I’ve heard so many good things about Floyd, but I don’t have much of their stuff.

I wanna pick up a couple things. What would you suggest?

thx_1227
    Participant

I’m in the same boat. I am a huge fan of prog rock, and by all accounts “Dark Side of the Moon” is a prog essential. I really need to pick it up…

Bucho
    Participant

I love the epicness of their song On The Turning Away, and a couple of others like Learning To Fly, Wish You Were Here and Shine On You Crazy Diamond are okay. Most of the rest of it I get pretty bored by, even supposedly rousing anthems like The Wall seem kind of plodding and impotent to me and I actively hate the shit out of that song Money. Generally their version of Rock music doesn’t have the type of energy I like in my Rock music so they mostly made no impression on me, even when I used to smoke.

But to be fair I’ve never heard any of their albums in its entirety, except The Division Bell, so it could be I’m missing some good stuff. There’s just too much other stuff I’d rather check out first so I’ll probably never get around to a proper go at The Floyd.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

rob
    Participant

I actually started off with Pulse, their live album, as it’s like a best-of, really. Like I said, I’m a casual fan, but I do enjoy them — I’ve listened to everything they’ve put out, but it all kinda blends together.

Version3
    Keymaster
    Bucho wrote:
    …and I actively hate the shit out of that song Money.

Couldn’t agree with you more there Bucho. HATE it. I actually don’t like Floyd for the most part. I’ve had friends that were really into different albums and such, and none of it really ever grabbed me. The over exposed stuff (like The Wall) I could go the rest of my life without hearing, but for the most part I just find it boring.

I don’t really care for progressive rock by the way.

rob
    Participant

For the most part, I think there are a lot of bands that get lumped into progressive rock, and really, a lot of it does suck. “Ooh, let’s make a song that’s impossible to understand” isn’t my idea of good music.

I would classify a lot of the Floyd I get behind (as they are sometimes guilty of making impossible music) is more like ambient rock. Epic, some would say. Maybe it’s because my first exposure to Floyd was Pulse, when all of them were older and a little less “let’s write songs that are weird just for the sake of being weird”.

I like “Money” a lot, though.

thx_1227
    Participant
    rob wrote:
    For the most part, I think there are a lot of bands that get lumped into progressive rock, and really, a lot of it does suck.

True. But REAL prog rock is the bees knees. Bands like Yes, Rush, early Genesis, Dream Theater, Kansas, etc…

El Rustirino
    Participant

Progressive Rock is really good when done right

just like any other goddamn genre

Bucho
    Participant

My taste in rock music has always veered towards the wilder side, the music that still carries the same kind of energy that the orginal rock’n’roll had, where it starts from the pelvis and doesn’t sound perfectly controlled or polished, it’s raw and it swings from the hip and sounds like it’s made by a dude (or dudette) who might have a switchblade in their back pocket. I do like a good pop rock tune too but the stuff at the top of my pile has to have some element of swagger to it.

So I haven’t ever really headed down the prog aisle because the stuff I have heard from that side of things seems to lose that edge in favour of showing off the players’ cerebral sides, like they’re exercises instead of songs. Something that’s physically hard to play impresses me as a physical feat, like an athlete impresses me, but it doesn’t impress me musically (ie artistically).

And it’s not that I’m anti cerebral music, I like things like Badmotorfinger and Aenima and Songs For The Deaf and The Mars Volta’s records, music that doesn’t neccesarily follow traditional rock structures and ideas, but those albums were made by people that sound like they left the practice room every now and then to fuck. And that’s the crux of the matter right there, too much of what I’ve heard from prog rock is too asexual for me to be interested, and that ain’t rock’n’roll.

Version3
    Keymaster

It’s like we were separated at birth sir. You obviously got the looks you handsome fucker.

El Rustirino
    Participant

Maybe it’s because I don’t really think of music in genres.

Bucho
    Participant
    Version3 wrote:
    It’s like we were separated at birth sir. You obviously got the looks you handsome fucker.

You old smoothy.

El Rustirino wrote:
    Maybe it’s because I don’t really think of music in genres.

May be Rusty me old cobber. But genres are just shorthand for certain traits that people talk about. It’s not about thinking in genres, it’s about the name for that genre representing a general set of qualities. I think you’re 100% right when you say any genre can be entertaining if it’s done in a way you like. That’s what I was long windedly trying to get across when I said I like adventurous rock music, but it has to have balls.

Jor-El
    Participant

Funny enough for me, growing up playing keyboards and piano I always had people telling me I need to listen to PF and that I would like it. Nah. I can’t say I have any opinion of them. I just don’t listen to them. I hear their stuff on classic rock radio. Of course I know I’m only hearing the same hits and maybe not their non-singles. But I just don’t care all that much.

I’m sure they have some good stuff. And yeah…why do people say you need to be high to get into some music? I would be laughing my ass off the whole time and never hear it. It sounds like a funny statement to make.

As for prog…I like some of it. I can’t do prog all of the time though.

I like titties.

El Rustirino
    Participant
    Bucho wrote:
    May be Rusty me old cobber. But genres are just shorthand for certain traits that people talk about. It’s not about thinking in genres, it’s about the name for that genre representing a general set of qualities. I think you’re 100% right when you say any genre can be entertaining if it’s done in a way you like. That’s what I was long windedly trying to get across when I said I like adventurous rock music, but it has to have balls.

Man, Bucho, I forgot how cool you were.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.