:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Patrick Willems, Red Letter Media et al.

• Comments Off on Patrick Willems, Red Letter Media et al.

Patrick Willems, Red Letter Media et al.

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Patrick Willems, Red Letter Media et al.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bucho Bucho 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

You guys ever watch vids like these? I first became aware of this type of dealio with RLM’s notorious takedowns of The Prequels and in the years since a whole bunch of folks have taken to uploading slick, thoughtful, fun analyses of CINEMA.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I do watch some of these when I come across them, but I find RLM to be like 25% insightful and 75% negative. I just find stuff like that changes the perception of people for the worse, and it seems to be a direct effect of this “edgelord” type behavior that seems to get the most attention these days. Like their “why Solo is gonna suck” video that came out way before it came out is a great example of this. I guess I just prefer to be a little more hopeful than that.

This one wasn’t bad, though, and I’m interested to see where he’s going with this theory.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

I watch RLM as comedy more than anything these days. I can’t remember the last time they did anything properly in-depth.

Willems is pretty legit though. Lindsay Ellis does some good stuff too. Movies with Mikey has done both Blade Runner and Harry Potter within the last year so if Rob Michaels hasn’t tried those out yet something is possibly wrong.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Tony Zhou was kicking ass, but then he stopped about 2 years ago and I don’t know why

rob
    rob
    Participant

I enjoyed the BR 2049 breakdown. He made me see a different angle to it, and that’s why I love that movie, extremely layered. The one thing though – all the hip, cool talk was a bit distracting.

Watching his Last Jedi breakdown, that one wasn’t too bad, either.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

By hip, cool talk you mean his delivery in general?

rob
    rob
    Participant

I can’t remember exactly, but there was a section where it seemed to nudge its way in and it took me out of it with all that sort of talk. I could be just getting old, but it stuck out, as it didn’t seem to be throughout. Otherwise very thought out and it flowed well.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Here’s a thing from yesterday charting the rise and rise of Lindsay Ellis.

https://www.wired.com/story/how-youtube-made-a-star-out-of-this-super-smart-film-critic/

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Bucho Bucho.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Bucho Bucho.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Patrick with Part 2 of his MCU thing. Dude makes A TON of sense to me.

rob
    rob
    Participant

These are really really good. I’m going to be tearing through some of their other stuff now, so thanks for that.

rob
    rob
    Participant

OK, I’m a fan of Lindsay’s. I think I’m going to subscribe to her.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Yeah, some of these guys and gals are really pretty impressive, not just at understanding the language of cinema but at communicating using his medium.

Jenny Nicholson’s not really doing the same thing as the others in that hers are a lot less “produced”, but I find her pretty entertaining and, most importantly, she’s on the side of good when it comes to TLJ.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Bucho Bucho.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Bucho Bucho.

rob
    rob
    Participant

Ooh, title makes me want to watch. I’ll do that when I get home.

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

Have you discovered the Lindsay Ellis series of film studies vids based on your BELOVED Transformers franchise yet Robby?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.