:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Parallels

• Comments Off on Parallels

Parallels

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Newman
    Participant

Currently installing parallels & WinXP on my Mac Mini. I’ll let you guy know how it turns out.
    I was wondering if anyone else has run parallels or boot camp?

Edit: I almost lost everything, when someone tried to Skype me while installing. *note to self* dont run shit when insalling XP.

Edit 2: Turns out it works not too bad…wasnt expecting that from XP.
    (this message was brodcast from XP on Mac)

Edit 3: The only problems I’ve encountered so far are:
    –Every now and then it will hang for about a second.
    –When I updated Windows Media Player it crashed on reboot, but I force closed the OS and relaunched it and its working fine.
    –Watching video’s is a bit sketchy, I dont think they have the 3D rendering down yet..

BSherrod
    Participant

It could be because your on a mini and it doesn’t have a graphics card. If you ran bootcamp I don’t think you get these same problems, but thats the tradeoff of running parallels. Hope they squash the bugs soon. Bryan you running XP on your machine?

Version3
    Keymaster

Under Parallel Desktop I am. I can watch video on it, but it depends on what my host OS is doing at the time. I think the performance is stellar. I was really happy again with it last night when I was forced to use XP to do photo scanning because of Canon’s attitude toward Mac support.

BSherrod
    Participant

Now which macbook pro do you have?

Version3
    Keymaster

17″ 2.13Ghz, 2GB Ram. 😀

BSherrod
    Participant

Lucky fucker, I think if I was laptop shopping thats the one I’d get cuz I’m getting my system mostly for Final CUt even though it’s overrated just like most industry standards. Oh and did you know they did like a slient upgrade to a 2.33 ghz a while back…

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, they announced the upgrade, but they’d have been shipping after I needed mine. As for FCP being overrated… who says?

BSherrod
    Participant

Me say, I’ve used it and I liked it a lot, but it doesn’t really don one thing that makes me go I need this besides the fact that it is the industry standard and that is what I’m minoring in so i gotta have it and possibly an HD camera if I strike it rich.

Version3
    Keymaster

Well, edit for a while on a Dual Proc Windows machine with Premiere Pro or even Avid Express and no additional hardware (no DV Storm2 or other real-time cards), then do it on a similarly spec’d Mac with FCP… it’s not all hype. It’s not really what it DOES from a feature point, it’s that it does it’s job so well and efficiently. Integration with other products, and stuff like LiveType is top notch as well. There is a reason that for desktop editing, Final Cut Pro is the standard.

djohnson
    Participant

Bryan,

Have you tried to get Vista running under Parallels? I understand that it’s possible, but I’m having issues with the install. It doesn’t like the lack of a BIOS.

Version3
    Keymaster

I have not tried. Maybe I should.

Newman
    Participant

I was tempted to install Windows 3.1, man that would be funny.

BSherrod
    Participant

Try the osx86project.org forums. They have a wealth of information and have tempted me to try and put on OSX on my dell when I put some more ram in.

djohnson
    Participant

I was browsing the Parallels forums and they do not yet have support for ACPI in BIOS, but they hope to have it supported by the time Vista goes live. That could just be a clever way or saying “when we get around to it.”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.