:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Our commentaries —

• Comments Off on Our commentaries —

Our commentaries —

Latest Replies Forums Show Resources and Links Our commentaries —

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

Here’s what I want to do, if nothing else, then just for me. I ripped a really nice, good-looking quality version of Episode 4. I want to add our commentary to it, so if I want to pause or whatever, I can just pause the video.

Bryan said that I could probably do this in iMovie — and iMovie seems to be a waste of time. Tried it in Final Cut Pro, and I think I got pretty close to what I wanted, but the render time (not the export, just the render time) was 9 hours. Why is this so damn hard to do?

My question for youse guys is — has anybody attempted this? I think that commentary is awesome, and it would be nice to have a totally synced version that I could show people, and entertain myself, and syncing it up again is a bitch if you pause.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? It’s irritating me now.

thx_1227
    Participant

I could definitely do it in iMovie HD. The new iMovie is a pain in the butt as far as working with large files. If you look around hard enough on apple.com, you’ll see they offer a complimentary copy of iMovie HD…

What I would like to try sometime is us DVD Studio Pro (or some other high end app) to add the commentary as a secondary audio stream…

rob
    Participant

Yeah, but in this day and age, why not as an avi, or an mp4?

thx_1227
    Participant

That is the simplest and easiest way, but the other way just sounds cool to try…

Version3
    Keymaster

Rob, your render time is because of the format you are ripping it to, it requires a complete re-encode of video frame to render. What did you rip to? iMovie can definitely handle this… if you tried it in Final Cut Pro, you must have tried it on your Powerbook?

By the way, when you output from FCP what format you choose to output to could GREATLY affect your render time. There are faster encoders if you are just trying to get a good enough watch quality.

rob
    Participant

Yeah, but I wanted to watch it on my TV with my PS3!

(Can you picture me with the little kid thing, “My ass is always on fire!”)

But seriously, no, I used it on me Macbook Air. And yeah, I know that it’s got to re-render a 700 mb 720×326 video file, but damn!

There’s actually a little app I want to try, it apparently lets you add a second audio track, which would be just as good, since after a little bit, we turn the audio up enough to hear the movie, too, like a real commentary track. So yeah.

Version3
    Keymaster

The render issues you are running into aren’t because it’s a 700MB decent res file, it’s because the codec used is more work to decode, THEN it has to start a new encode… that’s per frame.

I can rip a disc to MOV or AVI and it takes a while. I can take that same file, and re-encode it to MP4 or something and it’s pretty fast. Try to encode that again to MPEG2 for DVD and it’s back to being slow. Some a 2-pass processes as well.

The problem with iMovie is that it’s going to take forever to create thumbnails for the original video, and it could encode slow as well. You want to bring me your files and let me find the fasted process for you, and then you could apply that to the others?

rob
    Participant

I guess I could do that. I was just trying to do it myself. I didn’t know it was going to be so feather-pluckin’ difficult.

Octavious
    Participant

I thought about doing that your guy’s commentaries for Ep1 and 2, but like you said, the big files and the rendering time.

thx_1227
    Participant

I finished the ANH one last night. The only problem with it is iMovie HD doesn’t like widescreen…

Newman
    Participant
    thx_1227 wrote:
    The only problem with it is iMovie HD doesn’t like widescreen…

…FFS developers…FFS…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.