:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

Orange Block

Orange Block

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder Orange Block

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by rob rob 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

We talked about this a bit on the show… Orange Block IS now. I feel like if I made a few, some listeners would want them, but I don’t think it would go much farther than a few of them. If I offered you guys Orange Block (any style/all styles) the hard thing is coming up with a price that makes it worth my time/effort, but isn’t stupid as I’m not going to make anything significant out of them. I can print approx 3 blocks (original or new) from an entire spool of material (yeah, they are filament hogs) meaning the material cost is about $10-12 per block. The part where this gets hard to calculate is time… they take 18-20 hours to print which means that’s all my printer is doing… printing an OB, and burning power.

Knowing all of that… if you wanted one, what would it be worth?

Ben
    Ben
    Participant

I don’t think you can put a price on the orange block. It just does too much. It will actually end up saving you hundreds of dollars.

You MIGHT want to be careful printing the first one, this is uncharted territory as some have referred to the orange block as a “free energy” machine, but no one understands the principle behind it. Please wear all appropriate safety gear including a tin foil hat.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

I had everything bolted down for the first sones I printed for Jerry and Rob. Protective eyewear and EMS on-site should be a given.

It really seems like they wouldn’t be worth doing more than once at $25 b/c of all of the time and power usage. And is a $30 Orange Block, really a thing?

Bucho
    Bucho
    Participant

As one of the half dozen most hardcore SOS listeners it is practically unthinkable that my existence should proceed much further without Orange Block in and around my life, but as a poor, destitute college student who would also need to factor in international postage I must concede it is a dream I must leave unfulfilled.

- Women sense my power and they seek the life essence.

Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, I wonder how bad shipping to the Hobbit-land would be. I could probably save a bundle on that though at work.

Ben
    Ben
    Participant

Glad to hear you had things under control. Trying to imagine actually having an EMT on site:
    “I need you to make sure nothing happens here”
    “Sir you’re using a 3D printer, how it is dangerous”
    “It’s not the printer we need to worry about here…”

Are you using a solid interior? Would it reduce the power of the block itself if we chose a honeycomb interior or would it just attract bees? Maybe only bee’s knees

Just thinking about cost for us international boys

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Ben Ben.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Ben Ben.
    Version3
    Version3
    Keymaster

For the prints that I already did, they are both at 30% infill and are reasonably strong. We wanted some weight to the thing, so I could increase the infill to 40% but honestly it would just burn up material. I know the original OB is rectilliar infill, but the New OB may be fast honeycomb. They are strong enough to handle normally, even mess with, but I wouldn’t stand on one until the infill were put up a bit.

Those are PLA, but I think I’ll print all future ones in ABS because I just have better results with it in general. I actually don’t care for PLA very much so far.

rob
    rob
    Participant

I want my next Ob made out of African Pygmy bones. And so it shall be done.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.