:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

NIN: Year Zero news…

• Comments Off on NIN: Year Zero news…

NIN: Year Zero news…

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder NIN: Year Zero news…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

Okay, this is just fucking genius. We all know Trent is some kinda weird superhuman, but he’s doing some things here that I’ve never seen from anyone before.

NIN is currently on tour in Europe — well, a couple of nights ago at the Lisbon, Portugal show, a flash drive was found in one of the stalls with a new song off of the new album, called My Violent Heart. There were some images imbedded into the file, that relate to a website called iamtryingtobelieve.com, which, strangely enough, can be found as highlighted letters on the back of one of the tour shirts. This website is about a drug created by the government to stop terrorism, when in reality it’s used to control the population.

Also, on another one of the t-shirts is a hidden phone number — 310-295-1040 — and it plays a message with a clip from another song off of the album, Survivalism.

There is a forum discussion on one of the nin boards attempting to compile all of this information. Apparently there’s a lot of hidden information, on the websites, in the message, and on that flash drive. How cool is this shit?

I mean, I’ve heard of concept albums, but nothing like this — using every available media, including getting the file-sharing community involved, to produce an amazing word-of-mouth experience, and all to generate interest in a new album. It’s fuckin’ genius!

EDIT: The files are available on Demonoid, and the lyrics are pretty amazing — “You cannot stop us all”. This is awesome!

rob
    Participant

Okay, this is just fucking genius. We all know Trent is some kinda weird superhuman, but he’s doing some things here that I’ve never seen from anyone before.

NIN is currently on tour in Europe — well, a couple of nights ago at the Lisbon, Portugal show, a flash drive was found in one of the stalls with a new song off of the new album, called My Violent Heart. There were some images imbedded into the file, that relate to a website called iamtryingtobelieve.com, which, strangely enough, can be found as highlighted letters on the back of one of the tour shirts. This website is about a drug created by the government to stop terrorism, when in reality it’s used to control the population.

Also, on another one of the t-shirts is a hidden phone number — 310-295-1040 — and it plays a message with a clip from another song off of the album, Survivalism.

There is a forum discussion on one of the nin boards attempting to compile all of this information. Apparently there’s a lot of hidden information, on the websites, in the message, and on that flash drive. How cool is this shit?

I mean, I’ve heard of concept albums, but nothing like this — using every available media, including getting the file-sharing community involved, to produce an amazing word-of-mouth experience, and all to generate interest in a new album. It’s fuckin’ genius!

EDIT: The files are available on Demonoid, and the lyrics are pretty amazing — “You cannot stop us all”. This is awesome!.

Bing
    Participant

Its great when any artist doesn’t insult the intelligence of their audience…..in this case he is counting on that intelligence…nice!

…speaking of which…I love it when you guys do the fart and poo jokes!

Bing
    Participant

Its great when any artist doesn’t insult the intelligence of their audience…..in this case he is counting on that intelligence…nice!

…speaking of which…I love it when you guys do the fart and poo jokes!

rob
    Participant

Okay. I’m learning a lot — this is considered an ARG (Alternate Reality Game), which has been very successful in marketing. Apparently, there have been hundreds of these types of games — the show Lost did one last year, and really addicted me, so maybe that’s why I’ve been so intrigued by this.

I still can’t believe he’s using the file-sharing community to his advantage, though. That’s just smart.

Oh, and Bing: Burrt.

rob
    Participant

Okay. I’m learning a lot — this is considered an ARG (Alternate Reality Game), which has been very successful in marketing. Apparently, there have been hundreds of these types of games — the show Lost did one last year, and really addicted me, so maybe that’s why I’ve been so intrigued by this.

I still can’t believe he’s using the file-sharing community to his advantage, though. That’s just smart.

Oh, and Bing: Burrt.

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’ve been trying to find ways to do just that type of kick ass thing at work.

Version3
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’ve been trying to find ways to do just that type of kick ass thing at work.

Scatt
    Participant

I remember hearing about ARGs a few years ago. They seem neat. The most popular one I can think of was what they did with — Was it Halo 1 or Halo 2?? — anyways, I’m thinking of when they flashed http://www.ilovebees.com. ARGs kind of remind me of The Cacophony Society, who Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club) is member of. The whole Project Mayhem thing was loosely based off the Cacophony Society.

I almost forgot to say, yeah, that’s kick ass. Hey Rob, where’d you find all this out? EDIT: Yeah, so I think I just answered my own question. Nevermind.

Scatt
    Participant

I remember hearing about ARGs a few years ago. They seem neat. The most popular one I can think of was what they did with — Was it Halo 1 or Halo 2?? — anyways, I’m thinking of when they flashed http://www.ilovebees.com. ARGs kind of remind me of The Cacophony Society, who Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club) is member of. The whole Project Mayhem thing was loosely based off the Cacophony Society.

I almost forgot to say, yeah, that’s kick ass. Hey Rob, where’d you find all this out? EDIT: Yeah, so I think I just answered my own question. Nevermind.

rob
    Participant

I urge you all, if you haven’t already, check out the forum discussions I mentioned above. They just found another leaked song, which brings the total to three songs leaked via usb flash drive at the concerts, along with the first single released to radio. I love the three leaked songs, the radio single, not so much.

But yeah, not only leaked, but Trent approved. Awesome shit!

rob
    Participant

I urge you all, if you haven’t already, check out the forum discussions I mentioned above. They just found another leaked song, which brings the total to three songs leaked via usb flash drive at the concerts, along with the first single released to radio. I love the three leaked songs, the radio single, not so much.

But yeah, not only leaked, but Trent approved. Awesome shit!

rob
    Participant

I forgot to mention — I guess I should join the nin fan club. If you’re a club member, you get special access to shit when he’s in town. Tonight, at the Manchester, UK show, the Spiral members went into this room with pizza. Then Trent comes out and says, “Look — soundchecks are boring. Here, listen to this.” And he let them listen to the whole album. Talk about fucking cool!

They say it’s like listening to a soundtrack to a movie you haven’t seen yet. Trent’s got some large shit up his sleeve.

rob
    Participant

I forgot to mention — I guess I should join the nin fan club. If you’re a club member, you get special access to shit when he’s in town. Tonight, at the Manchester, UK show, the Spiral members went into this room with pizza. Then Trent comes out and says, “Look — soundchecks are boring. Here, listen to this.” And he let them listen to the whole album. Talk about fucking cool!

They say it’s like listening to a soundtrack to a movie you haven’t seen yet. Trent’s got some large shit up his sleeve.

rob
    Participant

You can now listen to the album in its entirety at yearzero.nin.com. Just amazing — groundbreaking sounds, even for nin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.