:::: MENU ::::

The Switched ON Show

The Switched ON Show | Comedic Chaos and Stuff

nin concert — 6/3/06, Dallas

• Comments Off on nin concert — 6/3/06, Dallas

nin concert — 6/3/06, Dallas

Latest Replies Forums FanBoy Fodder nin concert — 6/3/06, Dallas

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rob
    Participant

So Jerry and I went to the nin concert last night at Smirnoff Music Center, not my favorite place for a concert, but pretty good nonetheless. Doors opened at 6, and that’s when I left to go pick up Jerry. You see, Jerry was at a wedding yesterday, and he hasn’t been feeling well, so I offered to go pick him up so he didn’t have to drive. I got to Rockwall about 7:30, he got there about 7:45, and we left from there to Smirnoff, about a 20-30 minute drive. I didn’t want to miss any of nin, so I was pretty anxious.

When we got there, Bauhaus had just started their set. I have to say, I just wasn’t impressed. It’s not that they’re bad, they’re just not my thing.

By the way, our tickets were in section 205, the extreme left side of the venue, and I wasn’t happy about that. So about 10 minutes before nin started we moved and made our way to 203, right in the middle, and I was much happier. That turned out pretty well.

Even though it’s only been about 8 months since they were here, this had a totally different setlist and feel. Gone were much of the theatrics, and I was slightly disappointed about that, but this was more of a celebration (no masturbation jokes, please :)) of the entire nin catalog. Much more variety than any other concert I’d seen (this was my 5th time seeing them). The music seemed louder without being muddy, and again, Trent was extremely focused and energetic, like the last time. I just really got the idea that this was meant to be Trent’s thank you to the fans. A couple of rare performances (Get Down, Make Love and a new track, Non-Entity) mixed with all of the crowd favorites. I was very glad to hear lots of songs from The Fragile, which I consider to be his best album.

You can go to frcphotos.com to see some pictures of this tour, and as of this moment, Dallas isn’t on there, but it will be. I know I had a kickass time, my bum foot didn’t bother me at all, and Jerry seemed to enjoy himself despite of his feeling like crap.

Oh, and holy crap, the chicks. Boobies everywhere! That was nice. There was this chick next to me that kept bouncing up and down and bumping into me. She kept apologizing, and I said that it was just fine!

Took Jerry home afterwards, got to Rockwall about midnight, and I got home around 1:30. I was beat, but again, totally worth it.

digitaltopia
    Participant

He said celebration! Oh wait, nevermind. But he also said boobies. So now I’m confused.

Is this supposed to be one of NIN’s last tours, or did they just decide to do a really good job? I’m not that familiar with the band.

Scatt
    Participant

Sounded kick ass. When was the Tool concert you were talking about a few shows back?

rob
    Participant

Tool had a small venue tour recently, in order to prepare for their large scale assault tour later this year. A couple of friends of mine went to it, somewhere on the SMU campus. Only 2,000 seats. Very intimate setting. They said it was really kick-ass. The tickets they got were going on eBay for $500.

Quote:
    Is this supposed to be one of NIN’s last tours, or did they just decide to do a really good job?

I’m really not reading you on this — kinda like they do a crappy job the rest of the time or something. They’re always kick-ass, especially when it comes to the music. There just weren’t a lot of visual stuff going along with it this time, almost like a back-to-basics tour. In fact, that’s probably what they said — “Let’s just worry about playing a good variety of songs for the really big fans and not even worry about the other crap.” Really, it’s all about the music, but I think we (and I’m talking about huge nin fans) have come to expect a visual specacle as well. I mean, this is my 5th time seeing them — I’m pretty tired of hearing Something I Can Never Have. I’d much rather hear a b-side like Dead Souls (off of the Crow soundtrack) or something. Get Down, Make Love was very welcome, though.

Okay, I’m gonna quit now, because I answered your question and then started to ramble again. HUGE nin fan, so I could probably fill up a forum with this shit…

digitaltopia
    Participant

I wasn’t implying that they otherwise don’t do a good job, it’s just the way you wrote that piece almost made it sound to me like maybe they were doing one last tour and wanted it to be something fantastic, that’s all.

stealth1290
    Participant

It’s been a while since I’ve been to any concerts but i did score some floor seat tickets to the Red Hot Chili Peppers in November, I’m looking forward to it i hope they play the old with the new, since only about 3 of there new songs are as good as the oldies (1995)

Scatt
    Participant
    Quote:
    somewhere on the SMU campus.

That’s my initials. Fuck yeah, I’m special.

rob
    Participant

I’ve never been that big of a fan of RHCP. Maybe it’s because it’s widely known that Anthony Kiedis can’t fuckin’ sing! No, really, they just never really connected with me.

djohnson
    Participant

I wish they’d get back to the sound they had in the old days before they sold out. The new single “Dani California” sounds just like very song that has been played by RHCP on the radio in the last 5 years. It is starting to grow on me sort of like the smell of my own farts, but I do appreciate the homage to Hendrix in the guitar solo…

stealth1290
    Participant

yeah, RHCP’s Dani California sounds like plagerism read more here, http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=17507 very interesting, ahh well the tickets were near free so its all good

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.